ADVERTISEMENT

Preview from Io_a

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
A take on NU from the Hogeyes......some excerpts:

Don’t look now (really please divert your attention to the next subsection of this article because you don’t want to read this), but Northwestern has won two straight contests against the Hawkeyes and have fared pretty well against Iowa under Kirk Ferentz, winning nine of 17 games.........

The position group that will need to see the most improvement this season for Northwestern is the offensive line, which was absolutely dreadful last season and brings back four of the five starters from that team. Justin Jackson was actually a record-breaking rusher in spite of the big uglies and the Wildcats were especially bad in pass protection in 2017..........

The biggest strength for the Wildcats this upcoming season figures to be their front seven, as they return three starting linemen and two linebackers. If anything, the three returning starters on the defensive line can rush the dang quarterback........

(Double dang!!)

No doubt about it, Northwestern should be good again in 2018, which is really the kiss of death when it comes to the Wildcats. When expectations for them are high, they always seem to fall short, but this year could be one where they’re able to buck that trend, provided Clayton Thorson is healthy and effective. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team with as good a front seven as the Wildcats will have next year win 10 games; I also wouldn’t be surprised if the offensive line proves incompetent, rendering Thorson and the running game useless, and the Wildcats win six.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...stern-wildcats-clayton-thorson-pat-fitzgerald

A take on NU from the Hogeyes......some excerpts:

Don’t look now (really please divert your attention to the next subsection of this article because you don’t want to read this), but Northwestern has won two straight contests against the Hawkeyes and have fared pretty well against Iowa under Kirk Ferentz, winning nine of 17 games.........

The position group that will need to see the most improvement this season for Northwestern is the offensive line, which was absolutely dreadful last season and brings back four of the five starters from that team. Justin Jackson was actually a record-breaking rusher in spite of the big uglies and the Wildcats were especially bad in pass protection in 2017..........

The biggest strength for the Wildcats this upcoming season figures to be their front seven, as they return three starting linemen and two linebackers. If anything, the three returning starters on the defensive line can rush the dang quarterback........

(Double dang!!)

No doubt about it, Northwestern should be good again in 2018, which is really the kiss of death when it comes to the Wildcats. When expectations for them are high, they always seem to fall short, but this year could be one where they’re able to buck that trend, provided Clayton Thorson is healthy and effective. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team with as good a front seven as the Wildcats will have next year win 10 games; I also wouldn’t be surprised if the offensive line proves incompetent, rendering Thorson and the running game useless, and the Wildcats win six.

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...stern-wildcats-clayton-thorson-pat-fitzgerald

One nit I would pick with the analysis is his summary of the O-line. He uses adjusted sack rate for the full year as a primary benchmark. The Cats gave up 4 sacks a game in the first 5 games, but only 12 total sacks in the last 8. A deeper analysis or better writer would use a phrase like “while Northwestern was 77th in the country in adjusted sack rate, just 12 of their 31 sacks allowed came in their last 8 games. This stretch included their overtime wins against Iowa and MSU. Iowa was able to generate 3 of those sacks, and a key matchup will be the improved NU pass protection against an Iowa front that consistently pressures the QB.”

Reactions: Hungry Jack
One nit I would pick with the analysis is his summary of the O-line. He uses adjusted sack rate for the full year as a primary benchmark. The Cats gave up 4 sacks a game in the first 5 games, but only 12 total sacks in the last 8. A deeper analysis or better writer would use a phrase like “while Northwestern was 77th in the country in adjusted sack rate, just 12 of their 31 sacks allowed came in their last 8 games. This stretch included their overtime wins against Iowa and MSU. Iowa was able to generate 3 of those sacks, and a key matchup will be the improved NU pass protection against an Iowa front that consistently pressures the QB.”
I suspect it was challenging for the OL to block well if it had a high adjusted sack rate during games.

The OL against PSU was as bad as I’ve ever seen. After that game I thought they played quite solid.

The OL against PSU was as bad as I’ve ever seen. After that game I thought they played quite solid.

Other than Iowa, who had 3 sacks, the schedule was favorable.

The #1 key in the West will be QB play. Purdue has a two headed QB battle. Not sure that is ideal.

Nebraska and Minnesota will have a freshman lead their teams. Not ideal situations.

Illinois is bringing in a new offense, with a former Big Ten spread OC trying to help Lovie.

Will QB Clayton Thorson be healthy in 2018?

Wisconsin and Iowa return junior starting QBs, looking to compete for a division.

Not sure the pecking order will have wholesale changes in 2018.

Can Iowa, Northwestern or someone step up and catch Wisconsin this year?

On pace for 4 out of 5 West divisions and 6 out of 8 division titles.

Is three's a charm for Paul Chryst in winning the Big Ten?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT