ADVERTISEMENT

Chappy's Book on the 1995 Team NOW AVAILABLE!!

ChappyCat

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2015
Michigan
Okay Northwestern fans, now that you've received your Amazon gift card or extra holiday money and need your fix of Wildcat Football, go to the link below if you want to order your copy #ChampioNUnderdog. Relive the magic of the 1995 season all over again!

Amazon product ASIN B08R6TMVX6
PS- If you'd like a signed, personalized copy, just message me and we can arrange that!

Everyone, just one request - please don't spoil the ending for me until I've had a time to read it myself!
;)

Reactions: ChappyCat
Okay Northwestern fans, now that you've received your Amazon gift card or extra holiday money and need your fix of Wildcat Football, go to the link below if you want to order your copy #ChampioNUnderdog. Relive the magic of the 1995 season all over again!

PS- If you'd like a signed, personalized copy, just message me and we can arrange that!

Halfway through (Kindle version) and I'm loving it. Good stuff my friend :)

Hey Chappy, I got your book last night and am not even 20% through. Let me just say it's absolutely fantastic. Gocatsgo and anyone else who underappreciates what Barnett did and what made our team great needs to read this.

Massive insight into what made this team come together. I mean High Hopes and the other book that was written (forget the name) talked to some of it, but this has a lot more color and a lot more detail from a lot more perspectives. Really incredible work.

Already some huge questions or things that made me think:

1) No idea that Vandy was going to be given the job if Barnett flipped to UCLA or others. Kind of wish that that would have happened, and wonder if we wouldn't have been better off.
2) Really get the sense of the attitude of the team in this book - moreso than in High Hopes likely because there were a lot more player (and assistant) perspectives here, not just Gary's. Feels like we lost it during the Walker years. Hope and sense that we have it back now, but not sure. Would love to get a sense from players in the program today (or perhaps Fitz or Genryk) to read this and reflect as to whether what they had then is there today.
3) What happened with Larry Lilja anyways? Always wondered what the backstory was, but didn't fully appreciate what he did for the NU program until now, and don't really know what happened to cause his separation. Now he's doing his thing with Lake Forest. Feels like a loss for the program to me.
4) I had pointed this out before any there were many who didn't believe it, but your book affirms that at least one of Barnett's earliest classes was ranked in the top 25. And he did not recruit with the track record and facilities that we have today. Amazing. The other takeaway - our 95 and 96 teams had top talent. Wasn't just the 2000 title that was won with top 25 talent. The common thread for our 3 B1G titles in 6 years - was that they were won with talent from top 25 recruiting classes. We won't win championships until we are able to bring in top talent like Barnett did - we're not there yet, but we do appear to be clawing our way back and hopefully we will get back there soon.
5 ) Didn't know Marcel Price was that gifted - sounds like we lost a born leader and a future NFL draft pick with his tragic passing

Still a lot more to read so I'm sure more will come up, but incredible job here. Wonder if you (and perhaps Matt Rice) would be willing to do a zoom or thread to answer questions or additional reflections.

Amazing job! Thank you so much for this.

Thanks EvanstonCat! I would absolutely love to answer any and all questions that I can. I’d love to hear from Matt Rice and other players as well.

Hey Chappy, I got your book last night and am not even 20% through. Let me just say it's absolutely fantastic. Gocatsgo and anyone else who underappreciates what Barnett did and what made our team great needs to read this.

Massive insight into what made this team come together. I mean High Hopes and the other book that was written (forget the name) talked to some of it, but this has a lot more color and a lot more detail from a lot more perspectives. Really incredible work.

1) No idea that Vandy was going to be given the job if Barnett flipped to UCLA or others. Kind of wish that that would have happened, and wonder if we wouldn't have been better off.
2) Really get the sense of the attitude of the team in this book - moreso than in High Hopes likely because there were a lot more player (and assistant) perspectives here, not just Gary's. Feels like we lost it during the Walker years. Hope and sense that we have it back now, but not sure. Would love to get a sense from players in the program today (or perhaps Fitz or Genryk) to read this and reflect as to whether what they had then is there today.
3) What happened with Larry Lilja anyways? Always wondered what the backstory was, but didn't fully appreciate what he did for the NU program until now, and don't really know what happened to cause his separation. Now he's doing his thing with Lake Forest. Feels like a loss for the program to me.
4) I had pointed this out before any there were many who didn't believe it, but your book affirms that at least one of Barnett's earliest classes was ranked in the top 25. And he did not recruit with the track record and facilities that we have today. Amazing. The other takeaway - our 95 and 96 teams had top talent. Wasn't just the 2000 title that was won with top 25 talent. The common thread for our 3 B1G titles in 6 years - was that they were won with talent from top 25 recruiting classes. We won't win championships until we are able to bring in top talent like Barnett did - we're not there yet, but we do appear to be clawing our way back and hopefully we will get back there soon.
5 ) Didn't know Marcel Price was that gifted - sounds like we lost a born leader and a future NFL draft pick with his tragic passing

Still a lot more to read so I'm sure more will come up, but incredible job here. Wonder if you (and perhaps Matt Rice) would be willing to do a zoom or thread to answer questions or additional reflections.

Reactions: drewjin

1) No idea that Vandy was going to be given the job if Barnett flipped to UCLA or others.

Looking forward all the more to getting back home to read my copy. Nice review ECat.

Reactions: Titanium999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT