ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Cannon in the portal!

Davison to Michigan. Barf.
If that is true, he must be dropping a weight because he has no chance of starting. Otherwise, it is for academic reasons. His older brother transferred from Michigan to Northwestern to finish his career.

If that is true, he must be dropping a weight because he has no chance of starting. Otherwise, it is for academic reasons. His older brother transferred from Michigan to Northwestern to finish his career.
Correction. Thought Mason had another year of eligibility but apparently not.

Davison is Academic All-Big Ten. He is going to Michigan because he thinks he can win a national title at HWT after seeing what Parris did this past year. But again, barf.

DeAugustino too? Feels like a mass exodus. 🤷‍♂️
Question: Do all four of these guys have an NU Degree? Let's face facts. There is no future in wrestling except for teaching and coaching. If they have a degree they will be good to go. Probably want to be closer to home or academic reasons (advanced degrees) would be my guess. Coach leaving might be another possibility. They will have a great future with an NU Degree, If not, they should stay until they get one. Remember Fitz's 40 year rule. An NU degree will open doors their whole life.

Question: Do all four of these guys have an NU Degree? Let's face facts. There is no future in wrestling except for teaching and coaching. If they have a degree they will be good to go. Probably want to be closer to home or academic reasons (advanced degrees) would be my guess. Coach leaving might be another possibility. They will have a great future with an NU Degree, If not, they should stay until they get one. Remember Fitz's 40 year rule. An NU degree will open doors their whole life.
Exactly! We need to invest in youth! Both Mike and Chris are great guys with great degrees! Onward and upward

Will we have enough guys to field a competitive team next season?

Will we have enough guys to field a competitive team next season?
Northwestern is a great school! We always land blue chip recruits! A lot like horse 🐎 racing! Got to pick the winners! All three of the guys graduated and were first class representatives of the university. Besides being coveted All American 🇺🇸 wrestlers 🤼‍♀️!
After graduating the next step is to position yourself for work and family concerns. All three guys live out of state!
The program needs young blood and young talent! Guys who want to wrestle immediately. Ryan Deakin and Sebastian Rivera were ungodly talented.
Especially Rivera who beat seven national champions and two ncaa finalists during his storied career of being a five time All American and world place winner in freestyle. He has a legitimate shot at being an Olympic champion. He may be undersized a bit.

Northwestern is a great school! We always land blue chip recruits! A lot like horse 🐎 racing! Got to pick the winners! All three of the guys graduated and were first class representatives of the university. Besides being coveted All American 🇺🇸 wrestlers 🤼‍♀️!
After graduating the next step is to position yourself for work and family concerns. All three guys live out of state!
The program needs young blood and young talent! Guys who want to wrestle immediately. Ryan Deakin and Sebastian Rivera were ungodly talented.
Especially Rivera who beat seven national champions and two ncaa finalists during his storied career of being a five time All American and world place winner in freestyle. He has a legitimate shot at being an Olympic champion. He may be undersized a bit.
Another consideration might be that wrestling being a nonrevenue sport might not be covering the full cost of going there. For example, some might only be getting tuition and not room and board or visa versa. This allows the scholarship money to be spread over more athletes. At least that was the case in the past. Some of the guys families might not be able to afford NU any longer or don't want additional student loan responsibility and might be fishing for better deals. It cost around 20,000 to attend Indiana University but around 70,000 to attend NU. Purely speculation on my part but a thought about the "why" anyway.

Another consideration might be that wrestling being a nonrevenue sport might not be covering the full cost of going there. For example, some might only be getting tuition and not room and board or visa versa. This allows the scholarship money to be spread over more athletes. At least that was the case in the past. Some of the guys families might not be able to afford NU any longer or don't want additional student loan responsibility and might be fishing for better deals. It cost around 20,000 to attend Indiana University but around 70,000 to attend NU. Purely speculation on my part but a thought about the "why" anyway.
^^^^^^^^ This is a pretty likely answer. COVID gave seemingly unlimited eligibility to these guys, but it still isn't cheap. 9.9 scholarships and NU had 23 on the roster last year. And you can't really be throwing tons of money at 5th/6th year guys because you do want to have future guys in the program. So ... these guys want to wrestle still, they need somewhere to do it, there are so many cheaper options with great programs, near to home, etc. It sucks, and it will really hurt our team next year, but I know I couldn't honestly tell someone who has already gotten their NU degree AND wants to continue wrestling in the Big Ten AND can do it for 1/3 of the price that they have to stay and pay that much more.

So as long as there is no record of them downgrading or bashing our program, I completely get it, and wish them well. But yeah, it sucks.

^^^^^^^^ This is a pretty likely answer. COVID gave seemingly unlimited eligibility to these guys, but it still isn't cheap. 9.9 scholarships and NU had 23 on the roster last year. And you can't really be throwing tons of money at 5th/6th year guys because you do want to have future guys in the program. So ... these guys want to wrestle still, they need somewhere to do it, there are so many cheaper options with great programs, near to home, etc. It sucks, and it will really hurt our team next year, but I know I couldn't honestly tell someone who has already gotten their NU degree AND wants to continue wrestling in the Big Ten AND can do it for 1/3 of the price that they have to stay and pay that much more.

So as long as there is no record of them downgrading or bashing our program, I completely get it, and wish them well. But yeah, it sucks.
It’s an identity thing too! Those guys are all in graduate school with two in their sixth year of college. What freshman recruit wants to hang out with grad students? Deakin was there for six years too. Johnny Sebastian graduated and went to Wisconsin. There is a time and place for wrestling.
Sebastian Rivera went to college for six years too! Yayha Thomas for five years! Just need a younger theme if you ask me.

Reactions: CatFanEd
Davison is from NW Indiana, Chesterton. Not far from NU.

DeAugustino and Cannon both joining Davison at Michigan. Nobody transferring in and no big recruits the last couple of years … future of the wrestling program over the next few years does not look good.

Reactions: 2388bb
DeAugustino and Cannon both joining Davison at Michigan. Nobody transferring in and no big recruits the last couple of years … future of the wrestling program over the next few years does not look good.

I wonder why? Thought the new coach had things rolling some. 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT