ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins is our coach

It took him a long time but he figured out how his team needs to play to win here. No Nance, Young and Kopp and the team is way better. Credit to him as better late than never. He’s done a great job this season.
I’m 99% sure he looked at those who stayed and said “they don’t think you’re good enough to win. Prove them wrong.”

I’m not knocking the guys who left - I’m a big fan of both - but I do think there was a softness or complacency that came with that overall roster construction. This new squad required a new identity, and they found it in the grind… just like the history-making team.

It took him a long time but he figured out how his team needs to play to win here. No Nance, Young and Kopp and the team is way better. Credit to him as better late than never. He’s done a great job this season.
Yeah, I keep wondering if we'd be better if we had two or all three of those guys back this year, and while the raw talent level would be higher, I'm honestly not sure we would be a better team

I think Beran has become a superior defender compared to the guys who left, and that’s been critical to this years successes. Not just him, but that he isn’t the weak point to exploit.
Beran and MN defense in this game was outstanding. Berans length really bothers people. Barnhizer was an irritant to Edey. Beran was an excellent defender last year and the way this team traps plays right into his skill points. Phenomenal game.

I'm still in the camp that Gragg did the right thing; it's impossible to know whether this season happens without Gragg putting so much pressure on... perhaps it may have, but it may also not have.

Either way, we're well on the way to an NCAA bid and Collins extension.

Pretty much everyone can acknowledge that after this game (regardless of what side of the debate you fall on).

I don't think anybody would disagree at this point; cake is pretty close to baked.

I'm still in the camp that Gragg did the right thing; it's impossible to know whether this season happens without Gragg putting so much pressure on... perhaps it may have, but it may also not have.

Pretty much everyone can acknowledge that after this game (regardless of what side of the debate you fall on).
One more win should do it

I don't think anybody would disagree at this point; cake is pretty close to baked.
It’s impossible to know for sure, but everybody in the chain of command, including CCC and Gragg, get a huge eternal gold star for this turnaround

If you’ve ever been near or apart of high level competitive sports that is not the case. The players and coaches involved are competitive and prideful they don’t need “added pressure”. Especially in the B1G. This belief that the statement caused this season to happen is people trying to justify the statement or their viewpoints on CCC.

If you’ve ever been near or apart of high level competitive sports that is not the case. The players and coaches involved are competitive and prideful they don’t need “added pressure”. Especially in the B1G. This belief that the statement caused this season to happen is people trying to justify the statement or their viewpoints on CCC.
I mean there were a variety of reasons to do it; not just "added pressure".

Fanbase needed to know that our expectations are much higher than the past 5 seasons; it wasn't just about Collins.

I think it was fair to question exactly how committed we were here; how many coaches in Power 5 jobs survive to a subsequent season after those 5? Everybody knew coming into this year that it was a tournament or bust kind of season. Obviously, Collins, his staff, and the team are well on their way to delivering.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
Tell that to Coach Fitz. I think sometimes a little pressure can finally push you to change the way you do things.

Maybe they were smiling because he knows nobody want him at NU, so he already has something else lined up and the price just went up.

The college basketball world has respect for him.

I have. I disagree. No one will ever know. Just like those saying this season forced CCC to make major changes.

That’s ok. It has all worked out. Quite frankly, if CCC chose to leave in two because he feels insulted, I can live with that. Every led to a good season

Another fun factoid - history will reveal the truth. Many objected BCs departure and he took another job. I don’t recall him accomplishing much. Kinda bolstered the choice to let him go.

I agree that this season gets CCC another job if he leaves NU. And then that will provide more data points. I would rather have Hank back on the FB team than I fear the loss of CCC.

I also grew up in GR
As did I - Union HS.
Union claimed the city’s all sports trophy my senior year over the other city HSs.
Champs in baseball & swimming ( my sports ) + track, cross country, golf & good finishes in others.
That year, GR Catholic Central, football champs, sent Dave Czarnecki to NU on football scholarship. He became a starting DE for a couple of seasons on some pretty good 1960s teams. Bill Swinley, our fullback, was from Grand Haven - at the mouth of the Grand River @ 30 miles distant.

As did I - Union HS.
Union claimed the city’s all sports trophy my senior year over the other city HSs.
Champs in baseball & swimming ( my sports ) + track, cross country, golf & good finishes in others.
That year, GR Catholic Central, football champs, sent Dave Czarnecki to NU on football scholarship. He became a starting DE for a couple of seasons on some pretty good 1960s teams. Bill Swinley, our fullback, was from Grand Haven - at the mouth of the Grand River @ 30 miles distant.
And yes, I’m very happy with Coach. He’s carried a lot of adversity with grace and kept on pounding the rock with his players.

Chris came here without very good facilities and a history of losing because he wanted to be here, live in Chicago area where he grew up and coach in the Big Ten. He got the facilities upgrade and how much higher can you go than the Big Ten? He's making a very good salary and has probably won over some naysayers. I don't think he's going anywhere.

It was more like, we proved everyone wrong so it's sweet, rather than I get to keep my job. That's the last thing on their minds.
Like any coach, the losses eat at you. They also eat at your family. They both put most all of their entire lives into it.

Today was vindication that he has been a good coach and is now seeing results that suggest he is (dare I say) an excellent coach. And that his family’s sacrifice, knowing he was, has been worth it.

Chris came here without very good facilities and a history of losing because he wanted to be here, live in Chicago area where he grew up and coach in the Big Ten. He got the facilities upgrade and how much higher can you go than the Big Ten? He's making a very good salary and has probably won over some naysayers. I don't think he's going anywhere.
He wanted the job, yes. But now he'll have leverage. I hope he gets some leeway in admissions so he can field competitive teams annually. If not, I won't blame him if he leaves for another job.

Reactions: Catreporter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT