ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Beathard Surgery Rumor...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Tweets are circulating that he needs sports hernia surgery and will thus be out for the game on Saturday.

In case that name doesn't ring a bell, he's Iowa's starting QB.

EDIT: I must stress that all I'm seeing are tweets multiplying like bunnies without any meaningful source.

Last edited:
Curious if someone is mixing up CJ Beathard with Corey Clement. This was from 7 or so hours ago but references an intial date of October 3rd. The link does not seem to go directly to the story.

sportspyder.com/teams/wisconsin-badgers-football/sources/14669/.../all
7 hours ago - Oct 3, 2015; Madison, WI, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes quarterback C.J. Beathard (16) .... Corey Clement to have sports hernia surgery, miss approximately 4-6 weeks .

Curious if someone is mixing up CJ Beathard with Corey Clement. This was from 7 or so hours ago but references an intial date of October 3rd. The link does not seem to go directly to the story.

sportspyder.com/teams/wisconsin-badgers-football/sources/14669/.../all
7 hours ago - Oct 3, 2015; Madison, WI, USA; Iowa Hawkeyes quarterback C.J. Beathard (16) .... Corey Clement to have sports hernia surgery, miss approximately 4-6 weeks .
Just like the report before the Stanford game that CT was out. Including the dots...

Yeah has been debunked by the Iowa media that does have access and sources on the team.

Any definitive source? I still see lots of buzz on twitter and then one beat reporter simply saying it's "bologna" or "baloney"

Any definitive source? I still see lots of buzz on twitter and then one beat reporter simply saying it's "bologna" or "baloney"
I don't think the original story had any sources so I don't think the debunking will have any source other than a beat reporter.

There is video of him grabbing his groin area after being hit in the Illinois game

https://twitter.com/WillGMcD

That looks to me like he took an elbow to the stones. Beathard did play quite a bit after that play. We will likely know more after today, as Ferentz speaks to the Iowa media on Tuesday afternoons. Although KF keeps injury information pretty close to the vest, unless it's obvious that the player was hurt (like Drew Ott).

FWIW, part of the speculation has likely been fueled by the fact that Beathard had ice cellophaned (not sure that is a real word) to his hip and groin after the Illinois game and commented that "he was pretty beat up" and "needed treatment."

Also, the moderators are immediately removing any and all posts about a potential injury.

If Beathard is out, Nortwestern becomes the clear favorite.

If Beathard plays, I see this game boiling down to which team better defends the pass. I think both teams will struggle rushing the ball. Iowa's corners are good. King is really good. Mabin is good but inconsistent. What they can do, unlike previous Iowa teams, is guard WRs immediately instead of offering a soft cushion. Fitzgerald's past teams have exploited that weakness with massive amounts of success. I'll be curious to see how Iowa's D approaches the situation. As for Iowa's passing game, I expect Northwestern to apply heavy pressure and force quick passes. Iowa's OL has serious injury issues and I expect Fitzgerald to smell blood and bring a lot of pressure. I'm not confident that Iowa's receivers will get the necessary separation fast enough.

I agree with those on here predicting a low score.

That written, I expected a low score out of the Northwestern/Michigan game as well. You never know what might happen when you have 18-22 year old kids involved.

Hope he plays. After losing one of our corners, not in the mood for hearing about any other injuries, even opponents.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP

I agree with those on here predicting a low score.

That written, I expected a low score out of the Northwestern/Michigan game as well. You never know what might happen when you have 18-22 year old kids involved.

Actually it WAS a pretty low score, we just didn't get any of the 38 total points. We were very close to the "under" for the game

OK, while the surgery part (at least prior to Saturday) seems to be off the table, assuming the injury evident in the above posted video clip is a hernia, has anyone noticed Beathard's playmaking ability compromised since the Illinois groin hit? Has his throwing been off? Comparatively has he been less mobile since then? Assuming he can play with that injury, and is medically cleared to do so, it would make sense to wait until after Saturday for the surgery given the import of Saturday's game since Iowa has a bye the following week which would give him a good two weeks toward recovery. It would also allow his backup to get meaningful reps in practice.

Last edited:
Beathard took a number of hard hits in Saturday’s 29-20 win over Illinois. The one that seemed to take a toll was a knockdown by Illinois’ Eaton Spence on an incomplete pass to fullback Adam Cox midway through the third quarter. Beathard reached quickly toward his right groin before hopping up and continuing.

“I felt it there, something,” Beathard said of that play. “It hurt, but I was back out there on the field playing.”

Beathard was 14-for-28 to that point, but threw only three passes after that hit, completing one to Derrick Mitchell Jr. for 4 yards on a shovel pass. Beathard’s backup is redshirt freshman Tyler Wiegers, who has two career pass attempts.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp.../?hootPostID=7fadc41d62abf7f2fb911fda801c23e0

Reactions: Sheffielder
To be clear, he said he "thinks" he'll be out there. Let's make sure we parse that statement to death.

From the quotes in the TeJasCat provided link it sounds like Beathard has been held out from full practice this week. No question his backup is getting meaningful reps.

What Beathard didn't say is more telling than what he did say. No way he would have answered as he did if he was in fact back fully practicing.

Reactions: Slyhfox
He took an elbow to the nuts, OK? On our side of the river you get back up, take a few deep breaths and get back to business.
Is your side of the river is the other side of the river? If so, I see this side of the river winning this game. We don't even take a few deep breaths. We're always doin' business. Except when we play that team on the other side of the lake.

I was on the Iowa board today! CJ is hurt,my guess is he plays,but not too well! Great chance for us to pull out a win! If we win,we owe this one to the trainers for keeping us healthy!

Came across this video report from two who were at the Iowa presser yesterday and their first hand account of how Beathard looked, stating, "He did not look good." They described him as limping into the room and acting "gingerly." They noted he has a lot of rehabbing to do before Saturday and commented that they expected he would be limited in what he would be asked to do so as not to exacerbate his injuries further right before a bye week that he can use to heal.

Here is an attempted link:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/videos/sports/2893066143001/4555888125001/

Hope he plays. After losing one of our corners, not in the mood for hearing about any other injuries, even opponents.

Yeah, Iowa is already out their #1 RB, #1 WR, #1 TE, starting LT, and starting RT. If Beathard is out NW would basically be playing Iowa's 2nd team O.

What is Thorson's status for NW?
1. We want to be called NU. You can even call also jNU. You guys have our W anyway so why do you like giving it to us?

2. Thorson is playing. Fitz pulled a lot of starters out of the game against Michigan including Thorson. He doesn't do that while leading very often as you'd hate the 2nd string to give a game away. The starters played the whole way vs Minnesota. Fitz will do it in blowout losses as a combination of preventing injuries to the starters, giving the back ups reps, and trying to keep the backups motivated and happy that they got to play in the game. Bottom line, Thorson is as healthy as a college football player can be half way into the season.

1. We want to be called NU. You can even call also jNU. You guys have our W anyway so why do you like giving it to us?

2. Thorson is playing. Fitz pulled a lot of starters out of the game against Michigan including Thorson. He doesn't do that while leading very often as you'd hate the 2nd string to give a game away. The starters played the whole way vs Minnesota. Fitz will do it in blowout losses as a combination of preventing injuries to the starters, giving the back ups reps, and trying to keep the backups motivated and happy that they got to play in the game. Bottom line, Thorson is as healthy as a college football player can be half way into the season.

huskerfootball2013.jpg

They say the same thing when one uses UNL in discussions.

Two teams seeking the NU banner ...

Only one of which was a founding member of the Big Ten, and who uses the letters in the proper order.

huskerfootball2013.jpg

Yes but...

We are Northwestern University (Northwestern is one word) and therefore by all of the rules of acronyms, the English language, and every college football conference except for the defunct Big 8, we should be NU.

By those same rules, the University of Nebraska, should be UN.

So there is difference between our requesting to be called by our appropriate acronym of NU and their hanging onto a relic eccentricity from a defunct conference which is nothing but confusing in present context.

Yes but...

We are Northwestern University (Northwestern is one word) and therefore by all of the rules of acronyms, the English language, and every college football conference except for the defunct Big 8, we should be NU.

By those same rules, the University of Nebraska, should be UN.

So there is difference between our requesting to be called by our appropriate acronym of NU and their hanging onto a relic eccentricity from a defunct conference which is nothing but confusing in present context.

KU and NU are two odd examples for the days of the Big Eight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT