ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2017: What Now?/HUGE Recruiting Weekend

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Looks like this week/weekend is shaping up to be a MONSTER time for NU's 2017 recruiting. A whole slew of our top prospects either have been or will be on campus.

That got me thinking... what now? First I'll go through the visitors, then take a shot at outlining just how important this week/weekend could be in building the class of 2017.

The Visitors

(As I was typing, Steve Wiltfong released a list of visitors in a free post... the group is even more significant and bigger than I thought when starting this post!)

These guys have all either been on visits or are supposed to be in this weekend. I've organized them in my rough estimation of likelihood that they end up in Evanston from most likely to least likely.

OL Ethan Wiederkehr -- I see a big kid who could play a variety of positions, but is likely to be an OT at the P5 level. Coaches identified him early, so must believe in his growth potential. My guess is he commits this weekend or shortly thereafter, reducing the number of available OL spots to one (which is a GREAT situation for recruiters).

QB Kasim Hill -- I've long said I think Hill is the best fit for our offense from the early QB offers. Unfortunately, he's the only one left uncommitted at this point (and I'm not too thrilled about the other QBs on the board). This weekend will be his third time on campus, he has a couple of former Gilman teammates on the team, and seem like plenty of reasons we have a better shot than many would guess to get Hill. His trips to Michigan State, Purdue, and Vanderbilt are interesting, as I would have guessed he's largely down to Maryland or NU. Hoping we can pull this one out sooner than later.

SB Bryce Wolma -- A more recent SB offer (seemingly as a fallback for Kmet, Marwede, and Calcaterra), Wolma is athletic enough to split out at the HS level but I would guess is more of an in-line guy at the P5 level. His top schools of NU, Arizona, and Tennessee are an interesting mix. Would guess/think he ends up staying in the Midwest, but don't know a ton about his thought process at this point.

OL Blaise Andries -- Reportedly a high academic kid whose recruiting has taken off a bit of late, I think he's a pretty darn good OT prospect. Good frame, good athleticism, needs to get a bit stronger (but that's typical of HS OL, especially kids with his size). Might be hard to fend off the home-state Gophers, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, but might get a little easier if/when Wiederkehr commits. Believe this is also a return trip for Andries, which is always a good sign.

WR Jeremy Singleton -- made the trek up from New Orleans on his own dime, but feels like a kid who will stay down south if the right opportunities come up. He's got a top four of NU, Arkansas, Kansas State, and Vanderbilt to go with reported interest from other SEC schools (Ole Miss, etc.). I get the feeling he will try to wait for a non-Vanderbilt SEC opportunity as long as he can.

RB Lamont Atkins -- Decommitted from Vandy three days ago and I'm including him on this list because Wiltfong at 247 made NU his prediction (usually doesn't make predictions until he has some level of certainty -- and as I was typing this, Wiltfong confirmed his visit in a free post). In any event, Atkins is a pretty dynamic player who reminds me in some ways of Larkin, but with a better burst. His size and speed won't blow you away, but he does a pretty good job setting up blocks and has a nice burst once he sees the hole. Also flashes the ability to catch the ball, which is extremely helpful in our offense. Would be a solid get.

SB Grant Calcaterra -- Came away saying the right things about his NU offer, but has plenty of "name" schools after him and it's always hard to pull a west coast kid with those kind of offers. Which is a shame, because he could be lethal as a pass-catching SB.

QB Jack Sears -- An interesting name to see on the list, always a nice sign when a west coast QB with west coast offers/interest (Arizona, ASU, Utah, etc.) shells out cash to make the trip. Not sure he has an NU offer yet, but would anticipate he gets one this weekend. I like his tape better than some of the other "go-to" QBs, as he's a pretty polished passer with decent athleticism. More than anything, his presence might put some pressure on Hill.

SB Trey Pugh -- a big, versatile athlete that could probably do a lot of things on the football field. Ohio State is obviously going to be hard to beat for a kid from Ohio (not to mention Duke, Michigan, Penn State, etc.), but always figure we have a shot if we get a kid on campus.

OL/ATH Carson Van Lynn -- Don't know much about this kid as Wiltfong's article is the first time I saw his name. With a Kentucky offer in-hand, he shows up as a pretty versatile athlete on tape whose position will likely be determined by how big he gets. A bit awkward in his movements, but has a HUGE frame. Wouldn't be surprised if gets an offer this weekend assuming coaches like what they see in person.

OL Tyler Beach -- Technically visits next week, but wanted to include him on this list. Offers in hand from in-state Wisconsin, Michigan, and Notre Dame will be tough to beat (especially considering he doesn't have an NU offer yet to my knowledge), but he's another big-framed kid who I would expect to be offered on campus. It means something that he's willing to visit with those offers in hand, but have to put him low on the "likely" scale as a result.

CB Russ Yeast -- a Kentucky commit, Yeast's visit is in and of itself significant because he wasn't sure about taking additional visits when NU offered. He's a dynamic athlete who could probably play on either side of the ball, but have to put him at the bottom of the list just because he's still committed elsewhere.

The Impact

The potential impact of this week's visitors is probably pretty evident just in the length of the list. But it's even more than that -- we have two scholarship-level QBs on campus, one of which is pretty clearly the top QB left on our board in Hill; an OL in Wiederkeher who seems a possible commit that could accelerate the timetable for others at his position; some guys who are making visits despite some significant offers in-hand; a handful of guys who could be real difference-makers at offensive skill positions.

This is a weekend that could start the dominoes in a number of ways. If Hill indicates that he wants to drag his process out further, the coaches will probably offer Sears (and possibly others) in a "first come, first served" situation. If Wiederkehr commits, the coaches will likely let the other offered prospects know there are limited OL spots available (would guess one MAYBE two), which could accelerate their decisions much like what we saw at DE with Brown and Kent. Getting a QB commit can make it easier to recruit offensive skill guys, plus we might get one or two RB/WR/SB types to commit coming out of this week.

All in all, I'm hoping things break right for the Cats this weekend and we start to see the class fill up in a hurry. We may already be seeing the benefits of wrapping the 2016 class pretty early so that the class could start building relationships with 2017s. It would be great to get a similar head start on 2018s.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
If Wiederkehr commits, the coaches will likely let the other offered prospects know there are limited OL spots available (would guess one MAYBE two), which could accelerate their decisions much like what we saw at DE with Brown and Taylor.

Kent is going to get a complex if we keep getting his name wrong.

If Wiederkehr commits, the coaches will likely let the other offered prospects know there are limited OL spots available (would guess one MAYBE two), which could accelerate their decisions much like what we saw at DE with Brown and Taylor.

Kent is going to get a complex if we keep getting his name wrong.

Just... I dunno. One of those things. Fixed it, but remembering it appears to be a different story altogether.

Looks like this week/weekend is shaping up to be a MONSTER time for NU's 2017 recruiting. A whole slew of our top prospects either have been or will be on campus.

That got me thinking... what now? First I'll go through the visitors, then take a shot at outlining just how important this week/weekend could be in building the class of 2017.

The Visitors

(As I was typing, Steve Wiltfong released a list of visitors in a free post... the group is even more significant and bigger than I thought when starting this post!)

These guys have all either been on visits or are supposed to be in this weekend. I've organized them in my rough estimation of likelihood that they end up in Evanston from most likely to least likely.

OL Ethan Wiederkehr -- I see a big kid who could play a variety of positions, but is likely to be an OT at the P5 level. Coaches identified him early, so must believe in his growth potential. My guess is he commits this weekend or shortly thereafter, reducing the number of available OL spots to one (which is a GREAT situation for recruiters).

QB Kasim Hill -- I've long said I think Hill is the best fit for our offense from the early QB offers. Unfortunately, he's the only one left uncommitted at this point (and I'm not too thrilled about the other QBs on the board). This weekend will be his third time on campus, he has a couple of former Gilman teammates on the team, and seem like plenty of reasons we have a better shot than many would guess to get Hill. His trips to Michigan State, Purdue, and Vanderbilt are interesting, as I would have guessed he's largely down to Maryland or NU. Hoping we can pull this one out sooner than later.

SB Bryce Wolma -- A more recent SB offer (seemingly as a fallback for Kmet, Marwede, and Calcaterra), Wolma is athletic enough to split out at the HS level but I would guess is more of an in-line guy at the P5 level. His top schools of NU, Arizona, and Tennessee are an interesting mix. Would guess/think he ends up staying in the Midwest, but don't know a ton about his thought process at this point.

OL Blaise Andries -- Reportedly a high academic kid whose recruiting has taken off a bit of late, I think he's a pretty darn good OT prospect. Good frame, good athleticism, needs to get a bit stronger (but that's typical of HS OL, especially kids with his size). Might be hard to fend off the home-state Gophers, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, but might get a little easier if/when Wiederkehr commits. Believe this is also a return trip for Andries, which is always a good sign.

WR Jeremy Singleton -- made the trek up from New Orleans on his own dime, but feels like a kid who will stay down south if the right opportunities come up. He's got a top four of NU, Arkansas, Kansas State, and Vanderbilt to go with reported interest from other SEC schools (Ole Miss, etc.). I get the feeling he will try to wait for a non-Vanderbilt SEC opportunity as long as he can.

RB Lamont Atkins -- Decommitted from Vandy three days ago and I'm including him on this list because Wiltfong at 247 made NU his prediction (usually doesn't make predictions until he has some level of certainty -- and as I was typing this, Wiltfong confirmed his visit in a free post). In any event, Atkins is a pretty dynamic player who reminds me in some ways of Larkin, but with a better burst. His size and speed won't blow you away, but he does a pretty good job setting up blocks and has a nice burst once he sees the hole. Also flashes the ability to catch the ball, which is extremely helpful in our offense. Would be a solid get.

SB Grant Calcaterra -- Came away saying the right things about his NU offer, but has plenty of "name" schools after him and it's always hard to pull a west coast kid with those kind of offers. Which is a shame, because he could be lethal as a pass-catching SB.

QB Jack Sears -- An interesting name to see on the list, always a nice sign when a west coast QB with west coast offers/interest (Arizona, ASU, Utah, etc.) shells out cash to make the trip. Not sure he has an NU offer yet, but would anticipate he gets one this weekend. I like his tape better than some of the other "go-to" QBs, as he's a pretty polished passer with decent athleticism. More than anything, his presence might put some pressure on Hill.

SB Trey Pugh -- a big, versatile athlete that could probably do a lot of things on the football field. Ohio State is obviously going to be hard to beat for a kid from Ohio (not to mention Duke, Michigan, Penn State, etc.), but always figure we have a shot if we get a kid on campus.

OL/ATH Carson Van Lynn -- Don't know much about this kid as Wiltfong's article is the first time I saw his name. With a Kentucky offer in-hand, he shows up as a pretty versatile athlete on tape whose position will likely be determined by how big he gets. A bit awkward in his movements, but has a HUGE frame. Wouldn't be surprised if gets an offer this weekend assuming coaches like what they see in person.

OL Tyler Beach -- Technically visits next week, but wanted to include him on this list. Offers in hand from in-state Wisconsin, Michigan, and Notre Dame will be tough to beat (especially considering he doesn't have an NU offer yet to my knowledge), but he's another big-framed kid who I would expect to be offered on campus. It means something that he's willing to visit with those offers in hand, but have to put him low on the "likely" scale as a result.

CB Russ Yeast -- a Kentucky commit, Yeast's visit is in and of itself significant because he wasn't sure about taking additional visits when NU offered. He's a dynamic athlete who could probably play on either side of the ball, but have to put him at the bottom of the list just because he's still committed elsewhere.

The Impact

The potential impact of this week's visitors is probably pretty evident just in the length of the list. But it's even more than that -- we have two scholarship-level QBs on campus, one of which is pretty clearly the top QB left on our board in Hill; an OL in Wiederkeher who seems a possible commit that could accelerate the timetable for others at his position; some guys who are making visits despite some significant offers in-hand; a handful of guys who could be real difference-makers at offensive skill positions.

This is a weekend that could start the dominoes in a number of ways. If Hill indicates that he wants to drag his process out further, the coaches will probably offer Sears (and possibly others) in a "first come, first served" situation. If Wiederkehr commits, the coaches will likely let the other offered prospects know there are limited OL spots available (would guess one MAYBE two), which could accelerate their decisions much like what we saw at DE with Brown and Kent. Getting a QB commit can make it easier to recruit offensive skill guys, plus we might get one or two RB/WR/SB types to commit coming out of this week.

All in all, I'm hoping things break right for the Cats this weekend and we start to see the class fill up in a hurry. We may already be seeing the benefits of wrapping the 2016 class pretty early so that the class could start building relationships with 2017s. It would be great to get a similar head start on 2018s.

Fingers crossed.

Marwede to Duke. The Wolma offer was a strong indication we were out of it with him. Kind of sucks that we had 2 excellent SB candidates locally in Kmet and Marwede that we couldn't land. Pugh looks in their league, but he is all OSU if they pull the trigger on an offer. I do think we have a strong chance at Wolma considering how different we are to his other P5 offers.

The Visitors

The Impact

Fingers crossed.
To bad there won't be a "spring game" for then to attend. Guess they can catch one at their visits to another program. Oh well.

To bad there won't be a "spring game" for then to attend. Guess they can catch one at their visits to another program. Oh well.

Dude, really? They'll be at a practice and most are staying overnight, which is about a thousand times more important.

The Visitors

The Impact

Fingers crossed.
GCG,

This is great stuff and much appreciated.

Great! The recruits can watch the team do a real practice in doors rather than a half assed marketing event!

Look forward to seeing who's smart enough to commit to the Cats - great education, great location, great coach, great new facilities, great people/teammates, great major city, great team.

The Visitors

The Impact

Fingers crossed.

A little bit of a scouting report on Van Lyn. The guy who writes the linked blog really knows his stuff when it comes to Ohio football prospects. His description of Van Lyn is intriguing. I like to watch football players who play basketball because it gives me a true sense of their athleticism and toughness. There is no place to hide on a B-Ball court and if big guys like Van Lyn look athletic playing basketball, that is usually a really good sign.

http://www.msrohio.com/carson-van-lynn-an-msr-top-2017-guy/

A little bit of a scouting report on Van Lyn. The guy who writes the linked blog really knows his stuff when it comes to Ohio football prospects. His description of Van Lyn is intriguing. I like to watch football players who play basketball because it gives me a true sense of their athleticism and toughness. There is no place to hide on a B-Ball court and if big guys like Van Lyn look athletic playing basketball, that is usually a really good sign.

http://www.msrohio.com/carson-van-lynn-an-msr-top-2017-guy/

Know McAlister well. Used his service when I was at NU, though I always thought ScoutingOhio was better.

Great! The recruits can watch the team do a real practice in doors rather than a half assed marketing event!

So the practice outside isn't a real practice? Looked like one to me last year. If it's a marketing event it isn't a very good one. They let you watch and give you a two sided sheet of paper that resembles a roster. Next to no publicity on the event and little up close interaction other than watching. It is watching a practice.

So the practice outside isn't a real practice? Looked like one to me last year. If it's a marketing event it isn't a very good one. They let you watch and give you a two sided sheet of paper that resembles a roster. Next to no publicity on the event and little up close interaction other than watching. It is watching a practice.

As it probably should be.

I may have to check with Lou or Larry, but I doubt the players go through their normal stretching routine with a bunch of random kids on the field before practice. I also bet coaches have no problem chewing out players, making them do up downs... At regular practices because they don't want to embarrass the kids in front of the people. Bottom line: It's a half assed practice. That's why Walker hated it. That's why Fitz doesn't like it.

I may have to check with Lou or Larry, but I doubt the players go through their normal stretching routine with a bunch of random kids on the field before practice. I also bet coaches have no problem chewing out players, making them do up downs... At regular practices because they don't want to embarrass the kids in front of the people. Bottom line: It's a half assed practice. That's why Walker hated it. That's why Fitz doesn't like it.
Right and continue to keep that that little, elite, private school somewhere in in Evanston a deep dark secret. Thanks Fitz.

Right and continue to keep that that little, elite, private school somewhere in in Evanston a deep dark secret. Thanks Fitz.

Do you ever have anything nice to say?

We're never going to fill a stadium or have a fanbase that will turn out in the tens of thousands like Ohio State, Michigan, etc. You might as well just accept that and move on rather than continually bitching about it.

We're never going to fill a stadium or have a fanbase that will turn out in the tens of thousands like Ohio State, Michigan, etc. You might as well just accept that and move on rather than continually bitching about it.

Sounds like you could use a little Justin Beiber to fine tune your attitude.

I can see why, without the depth of a Michigan or an OSU, we are reluctant to put the good players out there on the field in a real game in April. Too much risk for injury. Having said that, if we were to schedule a real Spring game, I think it might turn out a good crowd.

That seems like a possible overreaction. You do know that is one poster's opinion (as educated as it may be) and not necessarily a belief held by Fitz's, right?

I can see why, without the depth of a Michigan or an OSU, we are reluctant to put the good players out there on the field in a real game in April. Too much risk for injury. Having said that, if we were to schedule a real Spring game, I think it might turn out a good crowd.
Define a good crowd?

Since he won't answer your question, I will. No, he never has anything nice to say.

Yes. Still saying thousands wouldn't attend an actual spring game is being defeatist in my opinion. A crowd of 15,000 or more should be the norm, as it was during the Barnett years. Have you noticed all of the coverage of the Wildcat spring happenings in the Chicago dailies?

Yes. Still saying thousands wouldn't attend an actual spring game is being defeatist in my opinion. A crowd of 15,000 or more should be the norm, as it was during the Barnett years. Have you noticed all of the coverage of the Wildcat spring happenings in the Chicago dailies?

So "no."

Northwestern football is not a "secret" in Chicago. It gets plenty of coverage and there is great respect for Fitz amongst the media. Willy needs another storyline.

Northwestern football is not a "secret" in Chicago. It gets plenty of coverage and there is great respect for Fitz amongst the media. Willy needs another storyline.
What articles on NU football have you read in the Chicago papers on seen on TV in last couple of months? Storyline stands.

Can you point me towards some? I think I read quite a vast array. Can't say there has been much last month. Now, ND, UoI, even some of the directional schools, I can link you media coverage and respect if your unclear of the true definition.

Yes thousands would attend!!!! All 2 thousand of them.

I went to a spring scrimmage during the Barnett years and I only saw about 5,000 at the practice at most. That was the Spring of 1998. Maybe they had a better turnout in 1996, I don't know.

I went to a spring scrimmage during the Barnett years and I only saw about 5,000 at the practice at most. That was the Spring of 1998. Maybe they had a better turnout in 1996, I don't know.
1996 spring game was the one exception to the rule (and I've been going to spring games for 50 years), coming after the 1995 miracle season. In that same 1996 season, I remember an early season BIG game with Minnesota that barely drew 30,000. Our attendance has really shown steady growth in recent years. Stanford drew 36-thousand plus on Labor Day weekend before any students were on campus and with the Cubs at home and in playoff contention. NU has often opted to open on the road to avoid that weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT