ADVERTISEMENT

Clueless Lovie Strikes Again(?)

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Lovie has announced Rod Smith as OC and Cory Patterson as TE coach. Smith comes from Arizona, where he ran a multiple QB-run scheme that seems like what Lovie wants and was only available because RichRod couldn’t keep it in his pants; seems like a pretty decent hire.

Patterson has only been coaching high school ball since 2009, but comes to ShampooBanana from St Louis/Trinity Catholic, where he coached a handful of the top prospects in the entire country; seems like a way for Lovie to make inroads in St Louis, where they’ve struggled. (Aside: anyone else notice they signed 2018 prospects exclusively from Illinois, Texas, Florida, and California? Something is not right in Lovie-town).

But wait. As part of the rule changes that put in place spring official visits, the NCAA passed a rule prohibiting FBS schools from hiring people “close to” prospects two years before or two years after said player’s enrollment:

It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...otball-di-council-adopts-new-recruiting-model

I haven’t looked up the actual verbiage of the rule, but I would laugh SO SO SO hard if Lovie inadvertently made himself ineligible to sign any of the kids he so clearly had in mind with the Patterson hire (who are legitimately good players, for what it’s worth).

That would have been hilarious, but unfortunately I think they're ok. I think this is the final text of the proposal that was adopted. It looks like it only applies to non-coaching positions: "... an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position."

Seemed weird to me at first but I guess it makes sense. It's a lot easier to throw a random staff position at an unqualified parent or coach than it is to use up a whole position coach slot.

That would have been hilarious, but unfortunately I think they're ok. I think this is the final text of the proposal that was adopted. It looks like it only applies to non-coaching positions: "... an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position."

Seemed weird to me at first but I guess it makes sense. It's a lot easier to throw a random staff position at an unqualified parent or coach than it is to use up a whole position coach slot.

Sadly, I’m kind of disappointed.

It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...otball-di-council-adopts-new-recruiting-model

This should be named the “Michael Porter Rule.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT