ADVERTISEMENT

How big is the bubble? Or: Why we are safe (2024 version)

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Wrote something similar a year ago, so I'm going to cut and paste that and make changes based on 2024 situation.

The loss hurt many of us badly, but my guess is it didn't hurt NU at all. They lost in a close game on the road against a tourney team. This is not like losing to Merrimack or Chicago State.

Using bracketmatrix, I've identified 26 teams that are "on the bubble." That is, they *could* get in if they don't win their conference tournament. Caveats apply - bracketmatrix hasn't been updated since the loss, my methodology is shoddy, etc. Still, I'm not worried.

The following 25 teams have at least one bracket in which the team is seeded 9th, 10th, or 11th (or not at all). As of today, 13 of these teams would be in. Meaning the wrong side of the bubble is only 12 deep. Yes, there will be bid thieves, and some teams will play themselves into contention in the next week, but we're not talking about 30 teams ready to move up and knock NU all the way down.

NU IS AHEAD OF ALL OF THESE TEAMS as the top-ranked ninth seed. My guess is they could drop at the next update, but even then they probably won't drop too much at this late date, and they're not going to drop 20 spots if they lose to Minnesota.

9 seeds - TCU, Oklahoma, Mississippi St.
10 seeds - Nebraska, Michigan St., Florida Atlantic, Villanova
11 seeds - Virginia, St. John's, New Mexico, Seton Hall, Indiana St.
12 seed - Princeton
On the outside: Colorado, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Utah, Drake, Texas A&M, James Madison, Iowa, Providence, Kansas St., Syracuse

Keep in mind that every one of these teams is likely to lose between now and selection Sunday, and if they WIN their conference tourneys, chances are a team ranked ahead of NU already is going to get the at-large owed to them. If any of that last group of 12 gets hot and wins their conference tourney, who are they taking it from? One of those 11 seeds. Wake Forest and Pittsburgh can't both win the ACC tourney, and if they meet in the finals, it might mean that Virginia lost early, and they are closer to the bottom than NU. If all 12 somehow make it (which is probably impossible since many share a conference), NU still right now has a buffer between them.

Bid thieves are a real thing, but where are they coming from? AAC is the most obvious choice, as FAU is good enough to get an at-large without winning its tourney. If Drake makes a run in the MVC, would they get an invite in addition to Indiana State, or at the expense of them?

So long story short (too late), yeah, NU can drop, but it's only going to drop a little. My prediction is a 10 seed at worst, with an eight or nine still reasonable.

Last edited:
Like this fact-based perspective!

I’ve been tracking the On the Bubble and Should Be In teams in The Athletic’s coverage.

On the bubble, the only team that helped themselves this week has been Seton Hall (beat Villanova).

A few have missed opportunities (Kansas State losing to Kansas, Cincinnati losing to Oklahoma).

In addition to Nova, the other teams losing ground are Wake Forest losing to Ga Tech and Mississippi St. losing to Texas A&M.

Reactions: ParisCat
Thanks SE. Yes, the Athletic is where I got my initial list. I've got a chart somewhere. I like charts. I am still convinced Wisconsin or Dayton should be on the bubble, but using the same logic as above, they're even safer than NU.

Two of the 12 teams on the outside looking in are playing tonight on the road (Colorado at Oregon and Utah at Oregon State). I'd have to think if either of them lose, their ability to catch NU would be minuscule. Both Drake and Indiana State play tomorrow in the MVC tourney. There could potentially be a bid thief from that tourney if neither wins, as it seems Indiana State could get an at-large, and maybe even Drake could, but the chances of there being THREE teams from the MVC are pretty small.

Root for those teams behind NU to lose this weekend and as early in their conference tourneys as possible.

This bracket was updated yesterday and has us as the 2nd 9 seed: https://131sports.com/ (rated 2nd best bracketologist by bracketmatrix)

That gives us an 8 team cushion between where we are and playing in Dayton. Don't think we'd fall below the First four, but there is a chance 2 losses puts us in that group.

As an aside, interesting that none of the Pac 12 teams joining the Big Ten next year are projected to make the tournament.

Bubble gets a little softer with Utah losing at 12-17 Oregon State.
Yep. Any of those "on the outside" teams losing before their conference tourneys helps expand NU's buffer. Have to think Utah has no shot at an at-large bid now.

Eamonn Brennan (formerly of Athletic) - should be in. Fox (Decourcey) 9 seed, 33 overall. Brian Bennett (Athletic) 8 seed, 30 overall.

Let’s win tomorrow! Go Cats!

Reactions: SmellyCat
Palm has NU as a 10 seed with Washington State in the first round and a Kolek-less Marquette in round two...in Indianapolis. That would be about as soft a landing as NU could get.

I've always thought it was silly to predict locations and opponents, because a lot of teams within the same seed list can be used interchangeably because of restrictions, but it's still fun to look at.

Eamonn Brennan (formerly of Athletic) - should be in. Fox (Decourcey) 9 seed, 33 overall. Brian Bennett (Athletic) 8 seed, 30 overall.

Let’s win tomorrow! Go Cats!
From Brennan's Bubble Watch newsletter today:

Northwestern (20-10, 11-8; NET: 53, SOR: 34): The Wildcats remain where they were before the loss at Michigan State. Had they won there, or even won at home against Iowa last weekend, they'd likely be a lock here, even if we'd feel squeamish about locking a team with some flabby team sheet characteristics around their waist. (The Chicago State loss, the mid NET, the 331st noncon SOS, etc.) But this team also beat Purdue, Illinois, Dayton and Michigan State, so it's probably getting in the tournament unless something absolutely devastating happens against Minnesota at Welsh-Ryan Saturday night.​

He has us as one of 7 "Should be in" teams, behind 20 1-bid leagues and 32 "locks", with 20 other teams having work to do. Even if we're the worst of the 7, that still puts us at 39 on the S-curve, aka a 10-seed, with 9 spots behind us as buffer.

Bubble Watch today:

Kansas St. with a big win over Iowa State, but they might be too far off the bubble to move up without a good run in the B12 tourney.

Texas A&M and Cincinnati won their games easily, which won't move the needle much, but losing would've been devastating to their long-shot chances. That said, A&M *did* beat a 20-win Ole Miss on the road, so it's not exactly nothing.

St. John's beat Georgetown without blowing them out. Doesn't hurt them, but they could use a statement win next weekend.

Florida Atlantic beat 22-win Memphis. FAU isn't too far behind NU on the Bracket Matrix, but I have to think they're in even if they don't win the AAC.

In better news...

Texas crushed Oklahoma. Both teams are in NU's neighborhood, so having one of them lose big is nice.

Villanova's close loss to Creighton is a huge missed opportunity to a team right on the bubble line. I can't think they'll drop at all, but they had a chance to really impress the committee. They will likely play somebody good next weekend.

Indiana State is up big early in the second half of the MVC semis. ISU winning this tourney eliminates one potential bid thief, though Drake (in the other semi) still has chance as an at-large as well. Bubble teams should be rooting hard for the Sycamores.

Finally, a valiant attempt for Mississippi State, but they lost to South Carolina in OT. Like Villanova, they missed an opportunity to make a statement, but this shouldn't drop them much.

I was at the St. John’s-Georgetown game today. For St. John’s this win is “holding serve.”

Brumbaugh is not very good. Jayden Epps is a great player.

Reactions: No Chores
Yeah, I'm glad NU erased any doubts of this thread making me look stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT