ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carosel:10 Jobs Open + 1 already filled

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
Any chance we can pin this so I don't have to retype it all every time a coach gets fired or resigns...

Apparently, Frank Beamer is retiring (didn't know) and now Gary Pinkell is going to retire at the end of the year to focus on his health (lymphoma)

Bowling Green: Dino Babers to Syracuse
BYU: Bronco Mendenhall to UVA HC
UCF: George O'Leary "retired" Scott Frost OC Oregon
Eastern Carolina: Ruffin McNeill fired
Geogia: Mark Richt "Stepped Down" Kirby Smart DC Alabama
Hawaii: Norm Chow Fired Nick Rolovich OC Nevada
Illinois: Tim Beckman Fired with cause Bill Cubit OC Illinois/Interim Head coach hired
Iowa State: Paul Rhodes Fired Matt Campbell HC Toledo
Louisiana-Monroe Todd Berry Fried
Maryland: Randy Edsall Fired DJ Durkin DC Michigan
Memphis: Justin Fuente to VaTech Mike Norvell OC ASU
Miami: Al Golden Fired Mark Richt HC Georgia
Minnesota: Jerry Kill resigned for health issues Tracy Claeys hired
Missouri: Gary Pinkell Resign for health issues Barry Odom DC Missouri
North Texas: Dan McCarney fired Seth Littrell TE coach UNC
Rutgers: Kyle Flood fired Chris Ash DC OSU
South Carolina: Steve Spurrier quit Will Muschamp DC Auburn
Syracuse: Scott Shafer fired Dino Babers HC Bowling Green
Toledo: Matt Campbell to Iowa State Jason Candle OC Toledo
Tulane: Curtis Johnson fired
Southern Cal: Steve Sarkisian fired Clay Helton OC/Interim HC hired
Virginia: Mike London resigned Bronco Mendenhall HC BYU
Virginia Tech: Frank Beamer retiring at end of season Justin Fuente HC Memphis

Last edited:
Because listicles dominate the world order, let's rank the jobs in terms of attractiveness (name, facilities, chance to compete for a decent bowl / conference title / playoff berth).

1. USC west
2 (tie) USC east / Mizzou
4. Va Tech
5. Miami
6. Minny
7. Illinois
8. Maryland
9. UCF
10. Hawaii
11 North Dallas

Because listicles dominate the world order, let's rank the jobs in terms of attractiveness (name, facilities, chance to compete for a decent bowl / conference title / playoff berth).

1. USC west
4. Va Tech
5. Miami
6. Minny
7. Illinois
8. Maryland
9. UCF
10. Hawaii
11 North Dallas

I think you got the order correct......

1. USC west
4. Va Tech
5. Miami
6. Minny
7. Illinois
8. Maryland
9. UCF
10. Hawaii
11 North Dallas
Close. Id say
USC west
USC east Mizzou
VaTech
Miami
Minny
Maryland
UCF Hawaii
North Texas
Illinois

OK, but seriously, Maryland should be higher. They're going to get lots and lots of money and stuff from Under Armour. See what it did for Oregon.

I think you got the order correct......

#1 is quite obvious. Pretty big drop after that.

I think I might give Mizzou the edge over USC (east) because the Tigers had won 2 straight SEC east division crowns. It's tempting to pick the "southern" school, but I think the Tigers' franchise is quite strong.

Not sure what to think of Miami, but I cannot get Fienbaum's trashing of it out of my head. It just seems that it's in a distracted state.

I was tempted to put Maryland up there because of its proximity to DC and the southeast, but its a mess right now. Hard to differentiate MInny and Illinois over the long run, but Ill is a raging dumpster fire behind Jimmy John's right now.

I think I might give Mizzou the edge over USC (east) because the Tigers had won 2 straight SEC east division crowns. It's tempting to pick the "southern" school, but I think the Tigers' franchise is quite strong.

Not sure what to think of Miami, but I cannot get Fienbaum's trashing of it out of my head. It just seems that it's in a distracted state.

I was tempted to put Maryland up there because of its proximity to DC and the southeast, but its a mess right now. Hard to differentiate MInny and Illinois over the long run, but Ill is a raging dumpster fire behind Jimmy John's right now.

South Carolina has much greater fan support ($$$).

Your first problem is you were listening to Paul Finebum [sic (that was for glades)]. I'd rather listen to Feli

South Carolina has much greater fan support ($$$).
South Carolina's only concentrated period of success was under an all-time great head coach, and coincided with two of the nation's top players happening to be from South Carolina. (That's Clowney, Lattimore, and Alshon Jeffrey if you like, too.) I believe that that in state talent level was a fluke. I'd actually put Miami #2, then Maryland, USC (east), Mizzou, Va Tech.

As I was born in Missouri, I have a bit of interest in Mizzou and I wonder what will happen there over the medium and long term following Pinkel's resignation. Mizzou was pretty rotten in the '70s, '80s and '90s (i.e. after Dan Devine left as coach and before Pinkel arrived), and I wonder if they will revert: i.e. it was Pinkel who made the program strong rather than the program being strong in its own right.

They could just become (like Vandy) an easy win for most SEC teams.

South Carolina's only concentrated period of success was under an all-time great head coach, and coincided with two of the nation's top players happening to be from South Carolina. (That's Clowney, Lattimore, and Alshon Jeffrey if you like, too.) I believe that that in state talent level was a fluke. I'd actually put Miami #2, then Maryland, USC (east), Mizzou, Va Tech.
South Carolina was traditionally a lower tier SEC team that was better than a doormat but lower than middle-of-the-pack. Their fan support is impressive and that is what they used to get Holtz and Spurrier. It is not an easy place to win and there are very few Spurriers in the world. Whether they can get someone with the name recognition to help them outrecruit Clemson in their home state is questionable. I would drop them lower, too.

South Carolina was traditionally a lower tier SEC team that was better than a doormat but lower than middle-of-the-pack. Their fan support is impressive and that is what they used to get Holtz and Spurrier. It is not an easy place to win and there are very few Spurriers in the world. Whether they can get someone with the name recognition to help them outrecruit Clemson in their home state is questionable. I would drop them lower, too.

Maybe they should look at The Citadel coach.

;)

Maybe they should look at The Citadel coach.

;)
That was sad. What is worse is that it was not flukish. Citadel was the better team on the field. That USC team has totally lost the will to play. Spurrier leaving mid-season was classless.

1. USC west
4. Va Tech
5. Miami
6. Minny
7. Illinois
8. Maryland
9. UCF
10. Hawaii
11 North Dallas
Virginia Teach has one thing, and one thing only going for it - Frank Beamer. Without Beamer, VA Tech is a second-rate academic school with a recent history of some success in football playing in in a good, but far from great, football conference. Blacksburg is in a scenic, but economically depressed area, far from any city of any size, and with no fan base other than alumni, who generally have to drive a long way to get to campus. UVA, aside from its academic restrictions, is a sleeping giant; but VA Tech has risen only because of Beamer and the school's willingness to trust him with marginal students and difficult discipline cases. Lose Beamer and there is not much left. No more than the 9th best job open.

Virginia Teach has one thing, and one thing only going for it - Frank Beamer. Without Beamer, VA Tech is a second-rate academic school with a recent history of some success in football playing in in a good, but far from great, football conference. Blacksburg is in a scenic, but economically depressed area, far from any city of any size, and with no fan base other than alumni, who generally have to drive a long way to get to campus. UVA, aside from its academic restrictions, is a sleeping giant; but VA Tech has risen only because of Beamer and the school's willingness to trust him with marginal students and difficult discipline cases. Lose Beamer and there is not much left. No more than the 9th best job open.
VaTech is a very good school-your comments about football may be correct but you are wrong about their academics

Miles has the number 1 recruiting class in the country. No one was complaint 3 weeks ago. I guess it is similar to this board in what have you done for me lately.
My understanding is that the big time boosters can't stand him, and have been waiting for a reason to fire him. I'm a little worried that Les Miles takes a Big Ten job.

Jerry Palm has us playing LSU in Tampa. I can see Miles in the B1G...would be interesting to see where he lands. Maryland? Illinois? Purdue?

Methinks the Mad Hatter would wait for a better opportunity than these three. He'd have a nice severance payoff to live on while he works ESPN color for a season or two......

Paul Rhodes let go by Iowa State today.

If there were ever a time to find a spot for Lou Ayeni to join the staff at NU, now is the time. With him likely as a free agent after the season and us needing some new life in the WR room with a young group of players (where Lou coached for his three years as a GA at NU), this might line up perfectly.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Why couldn't they possibly get someone who is capable of building on what Beamer has already built? Obviously, the toughest job is to build from scratch (which Beamer nearly did). Building on should be vastly easier.
I'd say if places like Nebraska, absolutely in the middle of nowhere, with a small and declining population and no apparent "asset" or strength (other than its own historical achievements), can rise to be a major power (a few decades ago) and still remain relatively strong, VT is in a much better position.

If there were ever a time to find a spot for Lou Ayeni to join the staff at NU, now is the time. With him likely as a free agent after the season and us needing some new life in the WR room with a young group of players (where Lou coached for his three years as a GA at NU), this might line up perfectly.

Excellent observation. Kind of surprising that there are no NU alums amongst the assistant coaches.......

Jerry Palm has us playing LSU in Tampa. I can see Miles in the B1G...would be interesting to see where he lands. Maryland? Illinois? Purdue?
Those may be 3 of the 5 worst jobs in the B1G (IU and Rutgers the others). I cannot see him take any of those jobs. Maryland is the one with the most intrigue because of UA and they want to make a splash but MSU Penn State, Michigan and tOSU in your division are just a killer. Miles ends up on ESPN and waits for a better job, most likely in ACC.

Those may be 3 of the 5 worst jobs in the B1G (IU and Rutgers the others). I cannot see him take any of those jobs. Maryland is the one with the most intrigue because of UA and they want to make a splash but MSU Penn State, Michigan and tOSU in your division are just a killer. Miles ends up on ESPN and waits for a better job, most likely in ACC.
Coaches over 60 that were just fired don't get a lot of choices. He could do a lot worse than a 7 year 25 million dollar deal at Illinois or Purdue.
Methinks the Mad Hatter would wait for a better opportunity than these three. He'd have a nice severance payoff to live on while he works ESPN color for a season or two......
At 62, he takes 2 years off to do the ESPN thing, he's done.

Coaches over 60 that were just fired don't get a lot of choices. He could do a lot worse than a 7 year 25 million dollar deal at Illinois or Purdue.

Holts was 63 when he got hired at S. Carolina. Spurrier was 61, Snyder got rehired at Kansas State at 70...there is precedent. Recognizing your point on his age I do not know why he would want to build a program that is a stepping stone job that plain and simple are bad jobs. I would think if he wants to collect a paycheck it is better to just go the route of coaching at a place you can actually have success and after all the coaching carousal movement we will see this off season I think Miles finds a much better place to win if he wants to coach at all.

The dude has gone 137-53 in his head coaching career, including 110-32 (60-27) at LSU. I don't think The Hat will have too much trouble finding a job if he wants one.

The dude has gone 137-53 in his head coaching career, including 110-32 (60-27) at LSU. I don't think The Hat will have too much trouble finding a job if he wants one.
Yes, I think he'll find a job, but I don't think he's going to be getting one of the top jobs. Let's say Brian Kelly goes to the NFL. Do you see Notre Dame hiring him? Let's say Texas fires Charlie Strong as they're most likely going to miss a bowl game this year. Do you see Texas hiring him? Do you think USC is going to go after him or are they going to look at Jeff Fischer, Jack Del Rio, Chip Kelly...

In other words, if he can get a contract at 3-4 million a year to take him to the age he wants to retire, he should take it. Could that be Illinois? Maybe he's looking more at Miami, Mizzou, South Carolina range and not down a slot or two to Illinois or Maryland, but I honestly don't see a huge difference.

Why couldn't they possibly get someone who is capable of building on what Beamer has already built? Obviously, the toughest job is to build from scratch (which Beamer nearly did). Building on should be vastly easier.
I'd say if places like Nebraska, absolutely in the middle of nowhere, with a small and declining population and no apparent "asset" or strength (other than its own historical achievements), can rise to be a major power (a few decades ago) and still remain relatively strong, VT is in a much better position.

Nebraska is not as "in the middle of nowhere" as VaTech. Nebraska is near a good sized city in Omaha and Kansas City isn't far away. Blacksburg is near Roanoke, which is about a fifth the size of Omaha and is difficult to get to.

I think Miles and Mizzou could be an interesting match. He would stay in the SEC and take over a program that does not necessarily need a total rebuild.

And, he would remain a Tiger.

Nebraska is not as "in the middle of nowhere" as VaTech. Nebraska is near a good sized city in Omaha and Kansas City isn't far away. Blacksburg is near Roanoke, which is about a fifth the size of Omaha and is difficult to get to.
UNL is in the middle of nowhere in the larger sense. It is in a sparsely populated region far away from the major population centers. KC is moderately close, but that's it. Chicago is about an 8-hr drive. By contrast Blacksburg is only about 4 hrs from 'civilization', meaning the DC area, which is part of the NE highly densely populated region and all its "attractions"... 4hrs more is NYC. All things considered, I suspect that most would rather live by the Blue Ridge Mountains in Blacksburg, than in the Great Plains near Lincoln, NE.

Re: Miles - I don't see him taking any open job in B1G...if he goes anywhere in this offseason it would be to Southern Cal or South Carolina. Maybe Mizzou but I wouldn't bet a nickel on it.

I believe a coach can win at Illinois or Maryland, but they're not built for it out of the gate - a ton of heavy lifting to do at both places.

Knowing a guy like Miles, I bet he wouldn't be happy leaving LSU on anything but his own terms...he'll want to redeem himself somewhere but UI and UMD aren't realistic options.

I've always said there's only one person who can replace Corso on GameDay with as much or more zeal...don't blow this ESPN...

Reactions: NUCat320
Don't forget Purdue. The last two Big 10 championships they have won were in 1929 and 2000 (three way tie). That is pretty sad.

Yes, I think he'll find a job, but I don't think he's going to be getting one of the top jobs. Let's say Brian Kelly goes to the NFL. Do you see Notre Dame hiring him? Let's say Texas fires Charlie Strong as they're most likely going to miss a bowl game this year. Do you see Texas hiring him? Do you think USC is going to go after him or are they going to look at Jeff Fischer, Jack Del Rio, Chip Kelly...

In other words, if he can get a contract at 3-4 million a year to take him to the age he wants to retire, he should take it. Could that be Illinois? Maybe he's looking more at Miami, Mizzou, South Carolina range and not down a slot or two to Illinois or Maryland, but I honestly don't see a huge difference.
Doesn't he have like a $15 million buyout? Does that not get offset if he takes another job? For the next couple years anyway, it ain't about the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT