ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carosel:10 Jobs Open + 1 already filled

If Dykes leaves are there any Cal recruits we can poach? Remember according to our favorite Cal pos(t)er droski on our website that players are faster once they land at Cal. Wonder how droski feels about Sonny flying the coup. And I wonder if Sonny is taking any Cal players/recruits with him- I sure hope so.

The most hilarious rumor out there is that they're considering bringing Tedford back. I'm sure somebody's just trolling, but I feel like droski's head would explode.

The most hilarious rumor out there is that they're considering bringing Tedford back. I'm sure somebody's just trolling, but I feel like droski's head would explode.
Bringing Tedford back would be deja vu all over again, and truly an act of desperation. droski is probably delusional enough to think Cal could go after Fitz- after all Cal players and recruits are faster once they enroll at Cal. Damn- not Cal, I meant to say UCB!

Bringing Tedford back would be deja vu all over again, and truly an act of desperation. droski is probably delusional enough to think Cal could go after Fitz- after all Cal players and recruits are faster once they enroll at Cal. Damn- not Cal, I meant to say UCB!
Apparently Dykes feels hamstrung by Cal's academic requirements. I guess they needed to do something in light of Cal's horrific graduation and APR scores in football. But Cal is nowhere near as hard to get into as Stanford, NU, Duke and a lot of other schools.

If Mizzou hires Dykes, I might vomit.

Could Cal not do better than the guy they fired? Why is that a job worth fleeing?

Apparently Dykes feels hamstrung by Cal's academic requirements. I guess they needed to do something in light of Cal's horrific graduation and APR scores in football.
It is interesting that one of the gripes that Dykes reportedly has publicized is that Cal has not given him enough recognition for his accomplishments there and the improvements in graduation and APR are specifically mentioned.

Updated with Ruffin McNeill being fired from ECU. Crazy that they fire a coach that has gone bowling 4 out of 6 years and is 2 years removed from a 10 win season.

This is weird. Mormon from Utah who's been at least rumored to be covetted by a lot better programs that Virginia leaving BYU? What?
I always thought he might be good for Nebby. He's a defensive genius, and the Blackshirts could use some help there. His personal ties are mostly west of the Rockies, which I think would actually help Nebraska maintain a better talent base. Virginia seems like an odd fit.

Alabama DC and former All SEC DB Kirby Smart will take the job at Georgia.

The SEC is so very incestuous.

Smart is very young and has no HC experience, though he's basically been on Saban's staffs for a decade, so he's learned from a very good coach.

I wonder why UGA wouldn't make a run at a name - Mike Leach or Dantonio or someone.

UGA has a well regarded DC, Jeremy Pruitt, who interviewed for the USC job this week. I doubt he'd stay under Smart.

No way Dantonio would go to Georgia from MSU. Smart is a good pick. Top assistants that have learned from the best and have national championship rings usually are the best. Gary Barnett, Chris Collins. Dantonio. If you ask me, it's definitely the way to go. Way better than MAC coaches or others that don't even know what it is like on the top of the mountain, much less what it takes to get there.

Interesting article in the NYT about his and his wife's advocacy for student-athlete rights, and how that may have affected his firing at Purdue. I certainly don't know enough to have an informed opinion on this question, but I found it an interesting read nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/s...a-champion-of-athletes-rights.html?ref=sports
The story is interesting. The comments are better.

A lot of coaches bounce around, but Shoop never seems to stay more than a year or two.

Or Bo, Ara, Randy Walker.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bo was Woody Hayes's top assistant at Ohio State. Meyer had coaching positions at Ohio State and Notre Dame before ever being a head coach in the MAC. Saban coached at Ohio State (what a surprise!), Michigan State and the League before he landed a head coaching job at Toledo.

Ara, well that was 65 years ago, when Miami OH football was something else. Ara coached at Miami under Woody Hayes.

Walker? Well, he was an assistant at UNC I guess. And you see what he was able to do at NU vs. the names above.

I guess I'm good with MAC coaches who were assistants at Ohio State before they ever took over top jobs in the MAC (what am I saying, actually, no, I wouldn't be ok with that, but not because of their on-the-field success, but rather the institutionalized cheating of that particular program). The MAC head job with the assistant at a top national championship caliber program is even better than someone without any experience and success in a head job, but my premise is that it's the time exposed to the top of the mountain that has distinctive value that we would want. Barnett, Collins...

Tim Beckman was the db's coach at Ohio state and DC at Oklahoma state. I would guess most MAC head coaches were assistants at a power 5 conference team at some point.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bo was Woody Hayes's top assistant at Ohio State. Meyer had coaching positions at Ohio State and Notre Dame before ever being a head coach in the MAC. Saban coached at Ohio State (what a surprise!), Michigan State and the League before he landed a head coaching job at Toledo.

Ara, well that was 65 years ago, when Miami OH football was something else. Ara coached at Miami under Woody Hayes.

Walker? Well, he was an assistant at UNC I guess. And you see what he was able to do at NU vs. the names above.

I guess I'm good with MAC coaches who were assistants at Ohio State before they ever took over top jobs in the MAC (what am I saying, actually, no, I wouldn't be ok with that, but not because of their on-the-field success, but rather the institutionalized cheating of that particular program). The MAC head job with the assistant at a top national championship caliber program is even better than someone without any experience and success in a head job, but my premise is that it's the time exposed to the top of the mountain that has distinctive value that we would want. Barnett, Collins...
And Tim Beckman was an assistant at Ohio State. Darrell Hazell was the associate head coach at OSU.

I have lost sight of your point. Coaches have to start somewhere. The MAC is as good as any conference at grooming entry level HCs, AFAIC. Success has less to do with conference affiliation and more to do with individual attributes. Like elite universities processing admissions, the top football programs have the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. A lot of it has to do with pay.

I have lost sight of your point. Coaches have to start somewhere. The MAC is as good as any conference at grooming entry level HCs, AFAIC. Success has less to do with conference affiliation and more to do with individual attributes. Like elite universities processing admissions, the top football programs have the pick of the litter when it comes to coaches. A lot of it has to do with pay.

I have no problem with the MAC. What I want is a coach that has coached at the highest level and preferably has some national championship rings. Like Barnett. Or Collins (who is going to do for hoops what Barnett did for us in football). I don't think a coach that has never been to the top of the mountain knows what it is like to be there much less how to get there. If someone has MAC experience on their resume, it's not a negative, and can even be a positive if they were successful at that level, but it doesn't trump knowing what it takes to be a national championship caliber program. Otherwise, I think we get coaches who set too low of a bar and may not know what it takes to win at the highest level (including and especially recruiting). Preferably you have someone who has both (like the majority of the big names mentioned above). Given a choice between someone who has been successful with a MAC program but that has never been associated with a national championship caliber program vs. a coordinator or top assistant with zero head coaching experience, but has a bunch of national championship rings on his fingers, I'll take the later. Barnett and Collins are my poster boys. We've had head coaches that did not meet the standard in this regard in both the hoops and football programs that I simply was less than thrilled with.

I have no problem with the MAC. What I want is a coach that has coached at the highest level and preferably has some national championship rings. Like Barnett. Or Collins (who is going to do for hoops what Barnett did for us in football). I don't think a coach that has never been to the top of the mountain knows what it is like to be there much less how to get there. If someone has MAC experience on their resume, it's not a negative, and can even be a positive if they were successful at that level, but it doesn't trump knowing what it takes to be a national championship caliber program. Otherwise, I think we get coaches who set too low of a bar and may not know what it takes to win at the highest level (including and especially recruiting). Preferably you have someone who has both (like the majority of the big names mentioned above). Given a choice between someone who has been successful with a MAC program but that has never been associated with a national championship caliber program vs. a coordinator or top assistant with zero head coaching experience, but has a bunch of national championship rings on his fingers, I'll take the later. Barnett and Collins are my poster boys. We've had head coaches that did not meet the standard in this regard in both the hoops and football programs that I simply was less than thrilled with.
Cannot argue with any of that. I think it's probably relatively rare that an assistant with a NC pedigree becomes available (Zooker comes to mind), and thus these guys are hotly pursued.

For what it's worth, your response was strange considering the names I proposed:
- Dantonio, former national championship DC at Ohio State who now is head coach at one of the nation's best programs despite being at a traditional 'little brother'
- Leach, Oklahoma's OC for one (pre-National Championship) season before leading Texas Tech to untold highs, who may be headed towards the same at WSU

Smart's obviously a well-regarded coach, and the UGA connection is nice. It just seems to me that UGA could have made a run at two guys who have longer, deeper resumes than him. (Those were hypotheticals, though both have connections to the South - Dantonio is a Gamecock, and Leach is a vagabond who was at Valdosta State in South Georgia before making the move to D1.)

Smart is higher risk than either. Potential rewards are high with him, but Dantonio and Leach offer far more certainty with the same ceiling. If Smart were so hot for the job - he'd be willing to wait for this week, when UGA could be on full court press with MD.

Willie Fritz to Tulane.

He runs a variant of the the triple option offense. If Niumatalolo goes to BYU, I would assume the Cougars would run it there, too. Assuming Navy continues to run it, that means two AAC teams, an ACC team, and BYU will deploy it next year. I hope that NU stays away from these teams, just because of the cut blocking schemes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT