ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado/CSU

Crazy game. CSU knocked out CU’s best 2 way player Hunter which has made a difference. But CSU has thrashed CU with quick short to medium passing, excellent QB and WRs.

I should also add, NU football has looked nothing remotely like this for years.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
aw man. went to bed too early. stopped watching at the end the third quarter. it was a very uneven game. didn't think it would end like that.

CSU got screwed by zebras in 2nd ot. No way that was a blind side block. And announcers calling it an "illegal pick play" are clowns... it was a running play not a pass. If the qb had thrown the ball you might have had an illegal pick, but he ran the ball in.

CSU got screwed by zebras in 2nd ot. No way that was a blind side block. And announcers calling it an "illegal pick play" are clowns... it was a running play not a pass. If the qb had thrown the ball you might have had an illegal pick, but he ran the ball in.
I don’t think you can retroactively assess an illegal pick play. If the QB drops back or rolls out laterally to pass, it’s a pass play until he pulls it down and crosses the LOS.

I did think the “blindside” block call was shaky, but based on today’s protective rules it was unnecessary roughness, like it or not. They didn’t get “screwed.” They had multiple personal fouls in that game including the dirty defenseless hit on Hunter that put him in the hospital, as well as the targeting that could have given Sanders a concussion. Don’t you think that may earned CSU less wiggle room with the refs late in the game?

I don’t think you can retroactively assess an illegal pick play. If the QB drops back or rolls out laterally to pass, it’s a pass play until he pulls it down and crosses the LOS.

I did think the “blindside” block call was shaky, but based on today’s protective rules it was unnecessary roughness, like it or not. They didn’t get “screwed.” They had multiple personal fouls in that game including the dirty defenseless hit on Hunter that put him in the hospital, as well as the targeting that could have given Sanders a concussion. Don’t you think that may earned CSU less wiggle room with the refs late in the game?
I think each call must be made on its own merits, or in this instance lack thereof. I don’t disagree that CSU played like a bunch of thugs, but it’s not the refs jobs to make rulings based upon past transgressions. They were entitled to try for two and the tie

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Colorado may be the feel good story for now, but I don’t think it will last. Sanders arrogance plus his being in every commercial during the games is going to get old, quick.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Coach Prime is the featured segment on CBS 60 Minutes tonight. Having watched football games this weekend on CBS there have been no lack of promo segments “priming the pump” for the interview. I agree he probably won’t be for long at Colorado. He does attract top athletes. Amazing turnaround so far for the Buffs. I wonder what GB thinks about Coach Prime taking over the program.

I think each call must be made on its own merits, or in this instance lack thereof. I don’t disagree that CSU played like a bunch of thugs, but it’s not the refs jobs to make rulings based upon past transgressions. They were entitled to try for two and the tie
Refs are human so their calls certainly may reflect either benefit of the doubt or lack thereof if they’ve built up a reputation during the game. Moreover to say CSU is “entitled” to the TD is to also ask the ref to behave differently at the end of the game and “swallow the whistle” so they can play it out.

It wasn’t a blind side block. The call was bs. They scored. They should’ve been given the chance they earned to tie the game.

Colorado may be the feel good story for now, but I don’t think it will last. Sanders arrogance plus his being in every commercial during the games is going to get old, quick.

We're not the target demographic. Coach Prime and his program appeals to Tik-tok and IG generation that advertisers covet.

Reactions: RevCat
The real test for him will be when things aren’t going well. A couple loses in a row, etc. Being questioned about in-game calls, etc. Coach Sanders strikes me as the kind of coach that will shine brightly but burn out quickly.

Can understand why many are turned off by Sanders, but he really knows how to relate and get the best out of his players.

In the game against TCU, the CU RB fumbled at a crucial moment.

Instead of berating/embarrassing the player like a no. of coaches are known to do, Sanders put his arm around the RB and gave him words of encouragement, with the RB going on to have a big game.

Reactions: NUCat320
Can understand why many are turned off by Sanders, but he really knows how to relate and get the best out of his players.

In the game against TCU, the CU RB fumbled at a crucial moment.

Instead of berating/embarrassing the player like a no. of coaches are known to do, Sanders put his arm around the RB and gave him words of encouragement, with the RB going on to have a big game.
No Shrek clap?

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
He was great on 60 Minutes last night:

" We’re so busy lying we don’t even recognize the truth no more in society. We want everybody to feel good. That’s not the way life is."

The real test for him will be when things aren’t going well. A couple loses in a row, etc. Being questioned about in-game calls, etc. Coach Sanders strikes me as the kind of coach that will shine brightly but burn out quickly.
Well, the schedule gets tough, he will start to lose games. However, he will be taking receipts. He will have very good teams going forward and then he’ll head South to a bigger name program.

Is Prime really much different than Kelly, Franklin, Hardballs etc? He just didn’t hide the fact that he will do whatever it takes to win football games.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75

" We’re so busy lying we don’t even recognize the truth no more in society. We want everybody to feel good. That’s not the way life is."
Generally speaking, I have always liked Deion. He played for the Reds, so of course, I'm a fan! What I'm commenting on is how during that game, it seemed like he was in every other commercial. The non-stop exposure is going to eventually lead to fatigue from the non-CU fan. For me, Duke basketball really jumped the shark when Coach K started doing American Express ads.

As to the specific quote you listed, I do agree with that. Not only can't everybody feel good all the time, but it's not healthy for everybody to feel good all the time. Some things in life are hard and the struggle is important.

Well, the schedule gets tough, he will start to lose games. However, he will be taking receipts. He will have very good teams going forward and then he’ll head South to a bigger name program.

Is Prime really much different than Kelly, Franklin, Hardballs etc? He just didn’t hide the fact that he will do whatever it takes to win football games.
No coach can truly call themselves a great coach until they've taken on the challenge of building a championship team at a small private school without much tradition of winning, very little fanbase and high academic restrictions. Only then can you know that you can coach!

Reactions: StreamCat
As to the specific quote you listed, I do agree with that. Not only can't everybody feel good all the time, but it's not healthy for everybody to feel good all the time. Some things in life are hard and the struggle is important.
That's not what the quote said though. He didn't argue that everybody can't feel good all the time. He argued that not everybody can feel good. Maybe the quote was taken out of context, but if that's his argument, I think that's foolishness. Totally agree that struggle is important and think that there are both great things and distasteful things about Deion. I very much appreciate the way he seems to try to lift up the kids who he's gone into the season with.

The interview after the CSU game was the first time I didn't like Shadeur Sanders, but he's 20 years old and Lord knows that I made plenty of mistakes when I was that age.

What was the context? I had it on in the background, and I assume it came after he asked for the mirror when asked who the best coach in college football is. (Then he pivoted and said, “actually Saban”, but not like that.)

I find Deion as obnoxious and hilarious and distasteful and entertaining as I found him 30 years old. (Amusing that the most relatable-to-teens college football coach is a 56-year-old who had kind of disappeared with fraudulent high schools and whatnot before returning to Jackson State.)

Again, we could turn him uncool by calling him Coach Neon.

The best part was obviously when the female CU Superfan in her late 90s said, “where’s my theme music” - apparently Deion’s line - to the team in the post-Nebraska locker room. Good for Deion.

Also, CBS got a nice shot of Boulder’s kite store.

No coach can truly call themselves a great coach until they've taken on the challenge of building a championship team at a small private school without much tradition of winning, very little fanbase and high academic restrictions. Only then can you know that you can coach!
I would take Coach Prime at NU in a heartbeat.

I don't care if we lose but at least it'll be entertaining and we'll matter to the national media, if only for a while.

Northwestern football hasn't truly mattered (Q ratings wise) since the Randy Walker years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT