ADVERTISEMENT

Completely forgot about this in the furor over the 2OT play call......

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
Against Miami of Ohio and again last night, there were several instances where the opponents' defensive lineman jumped into the neutral zone, but the OL didn't move to draw the offsides. At first, I thought this was just a miss on the closest OL not taking advantage for the free 5 yards. But then, after not being able to recall where our OL did move to draw the penalty after several DL jumps, and then seeing Wright upset that the DL actually encroached and touched the OL and so the play was whistled dead and, as the announcer put it, we "didn't get the free play", I'm curious if this new approach is actually being coached.

Was there a change in the rules that make the OL jumping if the lineman jumps into the neutral zone no longer a defensive penalty? I didn't think so. But it does appear our OL-men are consciously holding their positions even if the DL jumps into the neutral zone. Is the reason that our offensive coaches think a 'free play' is more valuable than a free 5 yards? If so, I am not agreeing on the strategy, but curious if others are seeing/thinking the same, that this is a conscious strategy on the part of our OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.