ADVERTISEMENT

Completely OT, but just curious . . .

NURoseBowl

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2009
Do any of you guys have any experience with driving a MINI? I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the new Countryman JCW and the BMW X1. I'm leaning toward the MINI, which has a quirky character is is supposed to be fun to drive. For the life of me, though, I can't seem to find anyone I know who has, or has had, any experience with these cars. Any experiences any of you have had would be very interesting to hear. :)

Do any of you guys have any experience with driving a MINI? I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the new Countryman JCW and the BMW X1. I'm leaning toward the MINI, which has a quirky character is is supposed to be fun to drive. For the life of me, though, I can't seem to find anyone I know who has, or has had, any experience with these cars. Any experiences any of you have had would be very interesting to hear. :)

The Countryman is the B1G, Mini right?

Reactions: DopeTonic

Did you consider the Fiat 500?

Why not consider the Fiat 500?
I did, Corbi. Historically, MINI's reliability hasn't been great, but Fiat's seems to be even worse. And the JCW version of the Countryman has a bit more room and quite a bit more pickup than the 500X.

Yes, I have a 2009 Mini, JCW edition. Overall I'm happy with it. 102k miles. Water pump went last year, but no other major problems. Repairs and even routine maintenance are expensive,
though. Find a freelance BMW mechanic when the warranty runs out. Fun to drive with a manual transmission. Do NOT get a mini if you want a comfortable ride, it's all about performance. AWD improves handling on wet/snowy roads but will slow you down. Hope this is useful. Oh, and see what Jalopnik has to say about minis. http://jalopnik.com/

Last edited:
I tested a Mini convertible a couple of years ago, but I ended up buying a Mazda MX-5 (I think they are still called Miatas in the US). I found the Mini's controls really fiddly, the ride was somewhat uncomfortable and the list of options/packages nearly endless. It was not that much fun to drive, even with the top down.

Of course, the Countryman may drive much differently than a normal Mini, and I think they have changed the car considerably in the past few years.

Only time I'd like a mini is when I am looking for a parking space. They can fit into a shoebox

VW GTI yo
Driving a VW now, a Tiguan. Have heard good things about the driving dynamics of the GTI - in fact, it seems to be about the standard-bearer for performance in a small hatch. Looking for a slightly higher seating position, though, and wanted to change it up a bit re: brands.

Driving a VW now, a Tiguan. Have heard good things about the driving dynamics of the GTI - in fact, it seems to be about the standard-bearer for performance in a small hatch. Looking for a slightly higher seating position, though, and wanted to change it up a bit re: brands.
I just have the regular Rabbit with the inline 5 (unfortunately, that engine, which I love, is no longer available). It has been an ideal city car for me.. I'm 6'4" and find the wabbit roomier than most mid-sized SUVs.

Yes, I have a 2009 Mini, JCW edition. Overall I'm happy with it. 102k miles. Water pump went last year, but no other major problems. Repairs and even routine maintenance are expensive,
though. Find a freelance BMW mechanic when the warranty runs out. Fun to drive with a manual transmission. Do NOT get a mini if you want a comfortable ride, it's all about performance. AWD improves handling on wet/snowy roads but will slow you down. Hope this is useful. Oh, and see what Jalopnik has to say about minis. http://jalopnik.com/

Repairs to almost any German car can be very expensive, especially if you don't live near a major city. Some friends of mine had a Mini and enjoyed it, but it was expensive to maintain and it was a long drive to someone who could service it. My used Corvette was a lot cheaper to maintain than their Mini.

I just have the regular Rabbit with the inline 5 (unfortunately, that engine, which I love, is no longer available). It has been an ideal city car for me.. I'm 6'4" and find the wabbit roomier than most mid-sized SUVs.
Correction: wabbit woomier

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Why would you want a car with reliability problems, expensive upkeep, not enough room, and probably not a great car to be in when a drunk driver appears in your window. But if parking is your thing and comfort is not an issue, why not the Smart car, which can park either parallel or perpendicular. Also not comfortable or roomy.

Why would you want a car with reliability problems, expensive upkeep, not enough room, and probably not a great car to be in when a drunk driver appears in your window. But if parking is your thing and comfort is not an issue, why not the Smart car, which can park either parallel or perpendicular. Also not comfortable or roomy.
That's some cold water there

I owned a fiat spider convertible when I lived in southern California in 85/86 right after I graduated NU grad school. Was the car often in the repair shop? Yes. Was the car unreliable? Yes. Would I have traded that car for another more reliable car? Hell NO!! I still love that car.

I owned a fiat spider convertible when I lived in southern California in 85/86 right after I graduated NU grad school. Was the car often in the repair shop? Yes. Was the car unreliable? Yes. Would I have traded that car for another more reliable car? Hell NO!! I still love that car.

Can't disagree. Some cars just have that intangible, that character that resonates with you. There's value in that.

Reactions: GECat2

Your points are well taken, and probably may have been more valid when referencing the previous generation Countryman. Every professional review I could find makes note of a still-firm, but somewhat more refined, comfortable ride than its predecessor offered. Had the chance to sit inside the new model at the Chicago Auto Show, and was practically astonished at how roomy both the front and rear seats were. One of the many ways in which I'm extraordinarily ordinary is my size - at 5'9", 180, I'm about as average as you can get. No shortage of room for me, and just enough space for my hockey gear. What more can a man ask? :D

FIAT=fix it again tony

Your Hungriness;
Frabjous mentioned this exact thing in an earlier post; I seem to be the only one who'd never heard this. Glad you find your Rabbit as roomy as you do for a guy your size; I would've guessed it'd be more than a bit tight.

Last edited:
Your Hungriness;
Frabjous mentioned this exact thing in an earlier post; I seem to be the only one who'd never heard this. Glad you fine your Rabbit as roomy as you do for a guy your size; I would've guessed it'd be more than a bit tight.
As a former owner of a maroon Pontiac Grand Prix (somehow coaxed 165,000 out of an American car), I have heard of another acronym that I shall not invoke.

The Wabbit really surprised me. I wanted a small urban runabout that was easy to park, easy on gas, but sporty, and it blew away the Civic, Yaris (yikes), Fit, and a few others. Got it for $19,000 with heated seats,16" rims, 6 CD, ski hatch, cruise all standard. It's been great, though with a few mechanical issues fixed under warranty.

Took the Wabbit twice cross country on 16 hour drives to the Rockies. Very comfy and 30mpg. No problem with grades.

VW has not done as welll with SUV. The Tiggy is a Wabbit on steroids for another $20,000. Not a good value.

Last edited:
Wife's car is a 2017 Clubman All4 purchased in late 2016. She loves it. Handles pretty well and has good connectivity and comfort features. The passenger seats are narrow, so I don't how a normal sized human would fare over a long road trip (wife is petite). Doesn't get the advertised fuel economy. Great in the snow, on the rare occasion we had snow in Seattle this year.

Thanks to all who have tossed in their two cents. All your insights are appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT