ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats team, nice game, some positives and we'll need to be better....

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
to win more than 4 or 5 games overall.

hilinski has a quick release, nice arm, reasonable accuracy, beautiful touch on long balls but obviously needs to get more comfortable in the system and slow the game down a bit. there were a couple gimme interceptions that Rutgers missed. OTOH there were 2 perfect long balls where a PI should have been called and a third where the DB made a perfect play on a great throw.

running game so-so, but i like the transfer kid who runs like the kitchen is on fire

WRs are not bad, with Kirtz we have some decent athletes.

OLs so-so, will really struggle against good teams.

D played Hank-like, but it was Rutgers and not ready to extrapolate to good teams. Can you imagine that Bergin was our #3 LB last year, he is by far our best one this year. Maybe our most important defensive player period and he looks 5 ft 10, 180 out there. (I exaggerate but just slightly)

Nice win, we needed a confidence boost. Incredibly thin line between winning and losing in big ten west. We lost our all big ten QB, 1st round DB, more production than any team in the big ten, our legendary DC retired, our top returning QB and RB are both out and we are finding our way back. But I just don't think we have the horses this year to win more than 1-2 more games. But it's good Hilinski is getting time as it looks like he might be the answer next season. He's got the passing skills, just need to get more experience and make up for the fact that he's not a run threat.

Keep Hilinsky in there even if Marty comes back. He will be a beast for us in the near future. If the offense improves and the defense plays like it did today 3-4 wins isn't that far fetched.

Reactions: Rebel_

hilinski has a quick release, nice arm, reasonable accuracy, beautiful touch on long balls but obviously needs to get more comfortable in the system and slow the game down a bit. there were a couple gimme interceptions that Rutgers missed. OTOH there were 2 perfect long balls where a PI should have been called and a third where the DB made a perfect play on a great throw.

running game so-so, but i like the transfer kid who runs like the kitchen is on fire

D played Hank-like, but it was Rutgers and not ready to extrapolate to good teams. Can you imagine that Bergin was our #3 LB last year, he is by far our best one this year. Maybe our most important defensive player period and he looks 5 ft 10, 180 out there. (I exaggerate but just slightly)

Nice win, we needed a confidence boost. Incredibly thin line between winning and losing in big ten west. We lost our all big ten QB, 1st round DB, more production than any team in the big ten, our legendary DC retired, our top returning QB and RB are both out and we are finding our way back. But I just don't think we have the horses this year to win more than 1-2 more games. But it's good Hilinski is getting time as it looks like he might be the answer next season. He's got the passing skills, just need to get more experience and make up for the fact that he's not a run threat.
Gallagher is starting to get it also. Amazing how much faster a LB can look when he just lets it loose and plays. He made some very good sideline to sideline plays today. I think it was the first play of the 2nd half where Rutgers ran fly sweep and he ran it down.

Keep Hilinsky in there even if Marty comes back. He will be a beast for us in the near future. If the offense improves and the defense plays like it did today 3-4 wins isn't that far fetched.

Hilinski was #2 pocket passer QB in the country out of high school by some services I think. You can see the arm talent--release, touch, strength... But he is limited by lack of mobility which is a big drawback in today's game, particularly for a program that has needed to use QB movement to keep defenses honest and create plays. I think he could be very good but could be great if he was more mobile.

Hilinski was #2 pocket passer QB in the country out of high school by some services I think. You can see the arm talent--release, touch, strength... But he is limited by lack of mobility which is a big drawback in today's game, particularly for a program that has needed to use QB movement to keep defenses honest and create plays. I think he could be very good but could be great if he was more mobile.
I keep hearing about lack if mobility - from everyone, not just you - but he moves around ok. He's not Marty or Colter but he's functional.

Reactions: DaCat and rmndcat
I keep hearing about lack if mobility - from everyone, not just you - but he moves around ok. He's not Marty or Colter but he's functional.

out of necessity as a last resort, not by design. He is not a threat that defenses have to account for. That makes a difference to the rest of the offense.

I'd say Colter and maybe Persa and Kustok were real dual-threats, but guys like Kafka, Thorson, Siemian, Baz, Bacher, Ramsey could all use their mobility as a weapon or to create plays. Hilinski's mobility is not a weapon.

I'd say Colter and maybe Persa and Kustok were real dual-threats, but guys like Kafka, Thorson, Siemian, Baz, Bacher, Ramsey could all use their mobility as a weapon or to create plays. Hilinski's mobility is not a weapon.
I'm just happy of he can get out of the way of pressure, which is a low bar. Seems he can

I'm just happy of he can get out of the way of pressure, which is a low bar. Seems he can
He seems to have decent pocket presence. Will see how that evolves as he plays teams with more athletic pass-rushers. There's plenty to build on with Hilinski that's for sure, even if he's not there right now.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Hilinski's limited but effective mobility so far. Early in the 3rd quarter he took off when no one was open and he nearly picked up the first down, just a yard short. He is also asked to roll out to the right to throw and does a decent job running that play.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Hilinski's limited but effective mobility so far. Early in the 3rd quarter he took off when no one was open and he nearly picked up the first down, just a yard short. He is also asked to roll out to the right to throw and does a decent job running that play.
Give the guy some time, he will get better. That is why I hope they keep him in when Marty comes back.

Robinson is an outright stud. Back-to-back 100 yard games.

Fully agree with this, you could see it in his videos at Kansas that he had big play talent. He's our #1 weapon on offense and at least requires the defense to pay a lot of attention to him.

The transfer kid actually has a name.

I’m hard-pressed to think of the last NU QB who was as immobile as Hilinski. Even Siemian had more wiggle.

That said, I was glad to see Hilinski pick up a few yards on a scramble when absolutely necessary.

I’m hard-pressed to think of the last NU QB who was as immobile as Hilinski. Even Siemian had more wiggle.

That said, I was glad to see Hilinski pick up a few yards on a scramble when absolutely necessary.
Perhaps we should look at his strengths rather than his weaknesses, and build a team around that rather than asking a QB to compensate for the weaknesses of the rest of the team (e.g. Persa).

He moved when he had to. Scrambled twice in the third quarter for decent gains.

Perhaps we should look at his strengths rather than his weaknesses, and build a team around that rather than asking a QB to compensate for the weaknesses of the rest of the team (e.g. Persa).

We should absolutely do that, but we can still also recognize that in today's game having a QB that create plays with his legs and forces defense to track him opens up a lot of other things. Not only to compensate for team weaknesses but also raise the ceiling of the offense.

I don't want Hillinski running very often, especially now, with no experienced backup. We cannot afford to get him dinged. With Washington, Robinson and Jefferson, we actually have some speedy weapons and he showed the ability last Saturday to get the ball to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT