ADVERTISEMENT

You all are out of control. Lujan made one awful play call on 3rd and short. He is 29YO and called a nice game

I haven't moved anything. I've been saying the same thing for months, and now after seeing Wright in person, I feel vindicated.

Lausch is not better than Sullivan. If the coaches tried feeding me that BS, I would've left too.

You literally have no way to know if Lausch is better or worse than Sullivan, especially considering the scheme change.

He ran off Sully because he thought his NDSU QB was going to follow him here. I blame him for whom we no longer have, too.
C'mon now, if any of our QB recruits were any good, Wright wouldn't be here. The problem is we can't seem to garner interest from any 4 star qbs even from Illinois. Fitz's overall offensive philosophy didn't really excite any potential gun slingers to come our way. Thus far, I am not too sure Lujan can do it either. If Wright doesn't improve his field awareness/ decision making, he needs to be benched. No future stud QB will ever commit to NU if we get a rep for heavily relying on the portal. I remember last year Braun saying he wanted this program to be a developmental one. Hopefully he will do it, as we seem to not be able to bring in decent portal Qbs either. Last night was garbage football, not a good look for future recruiting.

Our posters prove yet again what message board geniuses look like.

Lujan made one awful decision or playcall - and it looked like a busted play at that.

Otherwise he called a really nice game in the wind. Our Cats had several opportunities to win it in crunch time.

I’m feeling much better about this season. We can run the ball with an identity. I am now improving my projection for this season from 3-9 to 5-7.

The B1G is softer than usual, and if Lujan works out then we have an incredible roster & staff.

Was Pete Carroll’s OC’s career over after not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch? Probably not. Maybe it was, I need to research it to confirm either way.

Bowl Game Braun!!! He is a gem, and I hope Lujem is too.
Thanks. I needed that.

C'mon now, if any of our QB recruits were any good, Wright wouldn't be here. The problem is we can't seem to garner interest from any 4 star qbs even from Illinois. Fitz's overall offensive philosophy didn't really excite any potential gun slingers to come our way. Thus far, I am not too sure Lujan can do it either. If Wright doesn't improve his field awareness/ decision making, he needs to be benched. No future stud QB will ever commit to NU if we get a rep for heavily relying on the portal. I remember last year Braun saying he wanted this program to be a developmental one. Hopefully he will do it, as we seem to not be able to bring in decent portal Qbs either. Last night was garbage football, not a good look for future recruiting.
It’s interesting that folks are blowing smoke about our ability to bring in a good transfer QB. I think it is a lot more than talent evaluation. Remember when the portal opens up in December and teams are almost immediately and gleefully securing their transfer QB while NU makes no moves? The administrations stance on transfers will need to change if we are to find success in the portal. The candidates are significantly restricted for Braun and staff. My understanding is students need to have over half their credits from NU to receive an NU degree. This basically eliminates NU from the QB pool for players that attend a school their first year for 2 years or worse yet 3 years because a lot of those credits are not counted for a degree. You might be able to get a guy that attended a different school for one year, but that is likely a developmental guy buried on someone else’s depth chart. The more likely scenario is a graduate transfer and that is what we get at NU. See basketball too.

The three quarters academic calendar is another detriment for transfers.

To make matters worse, their is this ridiculous evaluation of potential transfers High School transcripts for acceptance. Really, a student is a strong performing COLLEGE student and we are worried about his grades as a 14 year old HS Freshman ?

NU is currently just not set up to be competitive in the transfer market. It’s a shame, it’s a severe disadvantage that I hope the new AD can make inroads on changing.

Developing our own QB’s seems like Utopia but it is so 2010. With the movement of players, especially QB’s, it will be hard to ever have the run we had over a decade ago. We better get a lot better in the transfer market quickly or troubles lie ahead.

It’s interesting that folks are blowing smoke about our ability to bring in a good transfer QB. I think it is a lot more than talent evaluation. Remember when the portal opens up in December and teams are almost immediately and gleefully securing their transfer QB while NU makes no moves? The administrations stance on transfers will need to change if we are to find success in the portal. The candidates are significantly restricted for Braun and staff. My understanding is students need to have over half their credits from NU to receive an NU degree. This basically eliminates NU from the QB pool for players that attend a school their first year for 2 years or worse yet 3 years because a lot of those credits are not counted for a degree. You might be able to get a guy that attended a different school for one year, but that is likely a developmental guy buried on someone else’s depth chart. The more likely scenario is a graduate transfer and that is what we get at NU. See basketball too.

To make matters worse, their is this ridiculous evaluation of potential transfers High School transcripts for acceptance. Really, a student is a strong performing COLLEGE student and we are worried about his grades as a 14 year old HS Freshman ?

NU is currently just not set up to be competitive in the transfer market. It’s a shame, it’s a severe disadvantage that I hope the new AD can make inroads on changing.

Developing our own QB’s seems like Utopia but it is so 2010. With the movement of players, especially QB’s, it will be hard to ever have the run we had over a decade ago. We better get a lot better in the transfer market quickly or troubles lie ahead.
Excellent point. In sum, given the transformation of college football through NIL-based free agency, NU must drop its concept of the student-athlete and the priority for its program to deliver an educational benefit in order to compete in the new day.

I might add the generation of NIL funding as a core priority in the future. Reducing the focus on educational goals and increasing attention to cash accumulation will be necessary to retain players and the coaches who want to win.

Hmm.

I do think Jackson will push for changes as he turns the AD into an organization more suited for dealing with professionalized athletes on multi-year contracts as opposed to just pure student athletes.

Whether TPTB go along with everything is an open question, but I can't imagine that we're spending all this money on the stadium and eventually directing money to players along with not focusing on optimizing our abilities to bring in talent.

The season is still young at Iowa. McNamara has not impressed today.

I can tell you without looking that the Iowa message board has at least some of its fans screaming that McNamara was a bust at Michigan and it is time to give Sullivan the keys to the Iowa offense after McNamara "led" the Hawkeyes to a heartbreaking 20-19 loss against archrival Iowa State.

13 of 29 for 99 yards with 0 TDs and 2 picks.... "How can Sullivan be worse?"

I can tell you without looking that the Iowa message board has at least some of its fans screaming that McNamara was a bust at Michigan and it is time to give Sullivan the keys to the Iowa offense after McNamara "led" the Hawkeyes to a heartbreaking 20-19 loss against archrival Iowa State.

13 of 29 for 99 yards with 0 TDs and 2 picks.... "How can Sullivan be worse?"
I wish we still had Sully on Friday night.

We might have beaten Duke for the first time since Biden was Vice President

Oh woah is us - we will never have good athletes, we will never be competitive….

Except that we have some recent success in both fb and bb. We have recruited some studs out of the portal. We have recruited some studs out of HS. Hmmmm… guess we get quite a few outliers. Not like any other academic school ever has success … oh …

Maybe, just maybe, talented coaching leadership can win with the talent they can recruit, develop and scheme??? I mean, minimum wage is getting up there - but for the money the coaches get paid, is it ok for me to assume they have talents outside babysitting and graduating everybody?

Oh woah is us - we will never have good athletes, we will never be competitive….

Except that we have some recent success in both fb and bb. We have recruited some studs out of the portal. We have recruited some studs out of HS. Hmmmm… guess we get quite a few outliers. Not like any other academic school ever has success … oh …

Maybe, just maybe, talented coaching leadership can win with the talent they can recruit, develop and scheme??? I mean, minimum wage is getting up there - but for the money the coaches get paid, is it ok for me to assume they have talents outside babysitting and graduating everybody?
Geez, are you ignorant. At least you are consistent and attack anything that 3-4 people say on these boards.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Thinking Lujan called a good game is making me think you are perhaps under the influence of something. 1) We threw the ball way too much, 2) Porter should have been getting the vast majority of the carries. Himon and Komilafe were horrid, 3) Why weren’t we going on 4th into the wind with an idiot kicker?
Because when Duke chose the ball for the second half, we chose the direction and they felt having the wind in 4th quarter was better choice., Notice that both OT rounds were at the same end. Same reason

I wish we still had Sully on Friday night.

We might have beaten Duke for the first time since Biden was Vice President
Even when we beat Duke, it was the same old story.

I was looking for the postgame coverage on YouTube, and came across the outsized collection of previous Duke postgames available.

Here is a paste of the autogenerated transcript of Fitz from the 2016 matchup’s postgame, a game the Cats won.

——-

You know we went in to the game knowing it was going to be a hard-fought battle um especially based on our experiences a year ago down in Durham and uh we we got exactly what we we thought we were going to get. Uh I thought our defense had a really good plan I thought we tackled better tonight except for a few plays and uh you know really proud of those young guys in the secondary they I thought they stepped up. I think they they were assaulted they were attacked again and uh I thought they stepped up and played very well and you know obviously to to to hold a team to 13 points and really you know outside of that last Drive I thought it was was pretty solid.

I like the way our offense responded in the second half. Believe we're across the 50 the entire first half uh and only to have seven points is kind of like being in a baseball game and having too many runners left on base.

You know you just get a little bit uneasy uh with having that much movement of the ball and not enough points on the board uh but I thought we responded pretty well. I think they threw every Blitz ever known to man uh at us and there were a lot of things and opportunities that we missed that we didn't take advantage of but we'll obviously learn from that and get better.

And uh you know I thought from a kicking game standpoint uh you know Duke has historically been the best if not one of the best in the ACC uh and I haven't looked at all the stats tonight but butI think we uh we held our own pretty well.

So uh like I said great team win.

——

With only one or two more good plays by the offense on Friday night, or one more field goal….

Thinking Lujan called a good game is making me think you are perhaps under the influence of something. 1) We threw the ball way too much, 2) Porter should have been getting the vast majority of the carries. Himon and Komilafe were horrid, 3) Why weren’t we going on 4th into the wind with an idiot kicker?
1) that seems correct
2) yes Porter was ditched for no obvious reason. There will be runs for no gain. Live with it. Don't abandon your top running back on a windy night when the passing game is sketchy.
3) I'm not exactly sure what you are saying? After we blocked the punt to open the 2nd half, we had the ball on the Duke 9 yard line We were leading 10-7. Ran the ball with Porter, lost 2 yards. Then 2 incomplete passes. 4th and goal from the 11. You HAVE to kick the field goal. Jack Olsen is not "an idiot kicker." He was 14 of 17 last year inside of 50 yards. Unfortunately, he barely missed from 29 into a gusting wind. Blame the offense for not punching it in and taking charge of the game in that situation.

Notes from my buddy in Evanston who was at the game:

*Lausch is Persa 2.0 as I predicted on this board

* Wright may start against Washington. Expect Lausch to have a short leash if he does

* Defense looks FAST and DISCIPLINED in person- just like 11 Timmy McGee’s!

*The Special Teams are looking SPECIAL AGAIN without Genyk.

@CoralSpringsCat , @gocatsgo2003 , @IGNORE2 - what are you hearing too?

Notes from my buddy in Evanston who was at the game:

*Lausch is Persa 2.0 as I predicted on this board

* Wright may start against Washington. Expect Lausch to have a short leash if he does

* Defense looks FAST and DISCIPLINED in person- just like 11 Timmy McGee’s!

*The Special Teams are looking SPECIAL AGAIN without Genyk.

@CoralSpringsCat , @gocatsgo2003 , @IGNORE2 - what are you hearing too?

Not hearing anything specific, but would be very surprised if Wright started next week. Braun doesn’t seem to want to be flipping QBs.

Lausch was… fine. Moves around pretty well, but has a lot of work to do as a passer. Didn’t put the ball in danger like Wright did against Duke, but competition is about to step up in a big way.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Not hearing anything specific, but would be very surprised if Wright started next week. Braun doesn’t seem to want to be flipping QBs.

Lausch was… fine. Moves around pretty well, but has a lot of work to do as a passer. Didn’t put the ball in danger like Wright did against Duke, but competition is about to step up in a big way.

Queen Latifah Bait GIF by The Roku Channel

• Haha
Reactions: Eurocat and JT2311

Lausch is still cooking and Braun knows it.

Either way I expect both QBs to play heavily in Seattle. It will be much tougher than the fake by the Lake, wind and all

Lausch is still cooking and Braun knows it.

Either way I expect both QBs to play heavily in Seattle. It will be much tougher than the fake by the Lake, wind and all
Are you saying Wright may start because Lausch is still inexperienced? I can see Wright being less fazed by the travel and the environment at Husky Stadium having played road games in the SEC for years. It is good that Lausch got a whole game (good timing with an FCS opponent at home) and a whole week getting QB1 practice snaps. If he’d stuck with Wright this week we would have still won I’m sure, but I don’t think it would’ve told us any more about Wright, and Lausch wouldn’t have gotten any better through that valuable game experience. Now we go into conference season knowing a little more of what we’ve got in Lausch, and maybe lit a fire under Wright. It may end up being a smart move in the context of the season.

Reactions: techtim72
Wright is the backup and Lausch is the starter. No need to be cute.

I also think next week is winnable. Washington has beaten two lower-conference schools and just lost to a mid-to-lower FBS. Just like NU.

Wright is the backup and Lausch is the starter. No need to be cute.

I also think next week is winnable. Washington has beaten two lower-conference schools and just lost to a mid-to-lower FBS. Just like NU.
Washington beat Weber State 35-3.
Washington beat Eastern Michigan 30-9
Washington lost to in-state rival Washington State 24-19.

Jeff Sagarin is back and has Washington rated #37 (76.2) and Northwestern rated #78 (68.02).
So basically Washington by 11, which is about where the betting line stands.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Washington beat Weber State 35-3.
Washington beat Eastern Michigan 30-9
Washington lost to in-state rival Washington State 24-19.

Jeff Sagarin is back and has Washington rated #37 (76.2) and Northwestern rated #78 (68.02).
So basically Washington by 11, which is about where the betting line stands.
NU will give them a game. If Lausch or Wright struggle as the starter, then Braun will switch them quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT