ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Northwestern

I was very nervous about this game. Now I know why.
ThNks for your congrats. I have a close friend who is a Minni grad. He was pretty disappointed in losing another come-from-behind game to NU. How are you and otherGopher fans feeling about your head coach these days? To be honest Fleck is not a fan favorite here on this website so this was a particularly satisfying win (although these days any victory esp this improbable win after being down by 3tds with the game waning, was very sweet.)

Reactions: STPGopherfan
ThNks for your congrats. I have a close friend who is a Minni grad. He was pretty disappointed in losing another come-from-behind game to NU. How are you and otherGopher fans feeling about your head coach these days? To be honest Fleck is not a fan favorite here on this website so this was a particularly satisfying win (although these days any victory esp this improbable win after being down by 3tds with the game waning, was very sweet.)
Minnesota has a history of goofy coaches.

Irrational? Some (small number) are calling for his head. Over a loss to a fellow BigTen team? A team that has actually won a BigTen title since 1967. IMHO 'That's way over the top. My only gripe is surrendering a 21 point lead without even a wimper? Hat's off to Northwestern. No matter how we slice it, that was an impressive comeback!

As Fleck says, he's not for everyone. With that said, I might be about the best Minnesota can do at this time. He also is pretty much what a program like Minnesota needs (give or take some in game coaching gaffes).

Player Developer? Check!

Promoter? Check!

Makes players go to class? Check!

Improved Image of the program? Check!

And considering our lack of instate recruiting talent, he's actually an okay recruiter.

Not sure that he is the answer longterm, but he's better than anyone we've had in some time.

Irrational? Some (small number) are calling for his head. Over a loss to a fellow BigTen team? A team that has actually won a BigTen title since 1967. IMHO 'That's way over the top. My only gripe is surrendering a 21 point lead without even a wimper? Hat's off to Northwestern. No matter how we slice it, that was an impressive comeback!

As Fleck says, he's not for everyone. With that said, I might be about the best Minnesota can do at this time. He also is pretty much what a program like Minnesota needs (give or take some in game coaching gaffes).

Player Developer? Check!

Promoter? Check!

Makes players go to class? Check!

Improved Image of the program? Check!

And considering our lack of instate recruiting talent, he's actually an okay recruiter.

Not sure that he is the answer longterm, but he's better than anyone we've had in some time.
Yes, but like many previous Minnesota coaches, he is goofy. Seems like a flim-flam man, however his performance speaks for itself. We have yet to see if the NU comeback was about NU or MN. None-the-less, it was a great comeback, one of the best in NU history. Thank you for your compliment on that.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Yes, but like many previous Minnesota coaches, he is goofy. Seems like a flim-flam man, however his performance speaks for itself. We have yet to see if the NU comeback was about NU or MN. None-the-less, it was a great comeback, one of the best in NU history. Thank you for your compliment on that.
Ha! It's funny that some Minnesota fans felt the same about Fitzgerald. I didn't think Fitzgerald was goofy. I thought he was a decent mix of old and new school that loved Northwestern.

Some of Fleck's "goofiness" is his. Some comes from Schiano, and Jim Tressel. Both influenced him to a degree. Some of the negative critique comes from his style. He does know how to teach to a degree, but he is more of a manager. He appears to allow his staff to have a major say in many areas of on and off field coaching.

Enough of Fleck. He is who he is. What about your interim coach. Do you think that he has a legit chance at becoming head coach if he continues to win in conference? Or do you think that the AD/ President/ Boosters are looking for a splash hire?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that there is already a thread on this subject.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT