ADVERTISEMENT

Could Brandon Joseph be our best safety ever?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I know it's too early to call this early in his career, but BJo is off to a spectacular start. It's going to be fun watching him ball the next few years.

The announcers relayed a fun anecdote. During Spring practice, before Bajakian had learned all the players, he went to Fitz and asked who #16 was. Said he was a very good player. I guess the cream rises to the top.

After 3 games:

Vs. Neb -- 1 int, 6 tackles, 4 solo
Vs. Io_a -- 2 int, 4 tackles, 3 solo
Vs. MD -- 0 int, 7 tackles, 5 solo, 1 TFL

We have a good one, maybe a great one.

I worry a bit about his size, though he's not a head-knocker like Brad Phillips. He is more of a ball hawk, which we really need.

Azema will be a very good complement to Joseph. Azema, though short in stature, packs a wallop and likes to play downhill.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
Azema will be a very good complement to Joseph. Azema, though short in stature, packs a wallop and likes to play downhill.

Interesting point. Although NU doesn't designate which safety is the FS vs the SS, I would assume based on their usual assignments that Pace is mostly playing as the FS and Joseph as the SS. But based on his coverage skills, it makes sense that Joseph would switch over to FS after Pace graduates.

All I know is that after years of our DBs being thin due to injuries, it's nice to have strong depth across most of the roster. Early in the Fitz era, we used to have decent starters but relatively weak backups for most position groups. Because of this, we had little to no margin to survive multiple injuries over the course of a season. Now, it seems like the "next man up" mantra actually has the skill/talent to back it up.

The announcers relayed a fun anecdote. During Spring practice, before Bajakian had learned all the players, he went to Fitz and asked who #16 was. Said he was a very good player. I guess the cream rises to the top.

Am I the only who assumes that McCall never did the same in all his years as our OC?

Anecdotes like this just make me so happy that we have a competent OC now.

I know it's too early to call this early in his career, but BJo is off to a spectacular start. It's going to be fun watching him ball the next few years.

After 3 games:

Fitz said postgame that Jake asked whether Joseph could play offense. Fitz respectfully told him that Joseph would stay on D.

Reactions: DaCat
Coco just seems to be a really good football player. His play against Illannoys last year as a plug-in running back replacement is the stuff of legends. He got the interception against MD this year and has filled in well in spot duty.

Reactions: drewjin
Dick Thornton, perennial CFL Allstar 1961-1972. RIP.
His greatest win, as I’ve posted here before, was against Michigan early in the 1958 season. Halftime score was 43-0. Final score was 55-24. Thornton was quarterback and safety. I was in 7th grade at Haven School (about 5-6 blocks from then-Dyche). Our Y club invited Thornton to speak early in the season and he accepted, bringing 35-millimeter film and his commentary. Not a hint of swagger, nor a whiff of arrogance. It was probably the first time in my life that I brought my Dad to an event rather than the other way around. Thanks very much for posting.

His greatest win, as I’ve posted here before, was against Michigan early in the 1958 season. Halftime score was 43-0. Final score was 55-24. Thornton was quarterback and safety. I was in 7th grade at Haven School (about 5-6 blocks from then-Dyche). Our Y club invited Thornton to speak early in the season and he accepted, bringing 35-millimeter film and his commentary. Not a hint of swagger, nor a whiff of arrogance. It was probably the first time in my life that I brought my Dad to an event rather than the other way around. Thanks very much for posting.
Great story!

That’s a pretty naive assumption. Sheesh.

Why do you say it's naive? I am basing my assumption on McCall's track record as a developer of offensive talent, which I think most of us would agree was poor at best. The guy could barely improve the talent we would recruit on the offensive side of the roster, what makes you think that he could recognize talent that was recruited on the defensive side?

Why do you say it's naive? I am basing my assumption on McCall's track record as a developer of offensive talent, which I think most of us would agree was poor at best. The guy could barely improve the talent we would recruit on the offensive side of the roster, what makes you think that he could recognize talent that was recruited on the defensive side?

He was/is a highly respected assistant coach with well over 20 years of coaching experience. He tutored multiple players who ended up in the NFL during his career. It certainly might have been time for a change at NU, but to insinuate he couldn’t identify a young defensive player with promise is either incredibly foolish or naive. Sheesh.

Hey @Well cataloged I'm a Haven alum too albeit nearly 20 years behind you. When I was in 7th grade, NU QB Mitch Anderson visited school and talked to us. I thought it was pretty cool then. He was down to earth even though we put him on a pedestal. As it goes, the summer before I entered high school my family moved to the next town over so I ended up going to New Trier West and not ETHS.

Hey @Well cataloged I'm a Haven alum too albeit nearly 20 years behind you. When I was in 7th grade, NU QB Mitch Anderson visited school and talked to us. I thought it was pretty cool then. He was down to earth even though we put him on a pedestal. As it goes, the summer before I entered high school my family moved to the next town over so I ended up going to New Trier West and not ETHS.
So what elementary school did you attend — Orrington, Lincolnwood or Willard? Mine was Willard and just about everything was within walking distance from our home on Park Place: Walker Brothers (Central Street near the stadium), Bennison’s Bakery (farther west on Central) and The Pancake House (a bit of a hike out to Green Bay Road and north a few blocks). And we were so close to the stadium that when the prevailing winds were blowing in the right direction, we coUlsan hear the NUMB practicing during the week. I never knew how good I had it then. I do now.

So what elementary school did you attend — Orrington, Lincolnwood or Willard? Mine was Willard and just about everything was within walking distance from our home on Park Place: Walker Brothers (Central Street near the stadium), Bennison’s Bakery (farther west on Central) and The Pancake House (a bit of a hike out to Green Bay Road and north a few blocks). And we were so close to the stadium that when the prevailing winds were blowing in the right direction, we coUlsan hear the NUMB practicing during the week. I never knew how good I had it then. I do now.
The good ol' days, when life was simple...

Actually lived in Evanston only 2 years, for 7th and 8th grade. We lived on Hastings and would play baseball all summer at Bent Park. Then in the winters we played ice hockey on the outdoor rink the park district would put up. Summers were great, we would ride our bikes to Hot Dog Island on Central and get a delicious Chicago hot dog with Coke and fries. Best hot dogs ever, even better than Mustards. Also went for a banana split from Baskin and Robbins on Central.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Well catalogued & Da Cat -- As former Havens students, any chance either of you ever had a teacher (social science, I believe) named Ms McGuigan? If so, I'd like to hear from you. She was a dear relative, a favorite aunt of my wife's.

E-address: billuhdcomm at aol.com. My wife and her siblings also attended that school and even lived on Park Place for a time as well.

Well catalogued & Da Cat -- As former Havens students, any chance either of you ever had a teacher (social science, I believe) named Ms McGuigan? If so, I'd like to hear from you. She was a dear relative, a favorite aunt of my wife's.

E-address: billuhdcomm at aol.com. My wife and her siblings also attended that school and even lived on Park Place for a time as well.
No I didn't. I don't remember a teacher with that name. Maybe @Well cataloged does.

Why do you say it's naive? I am basing my assumption on McCall's track record as a developer of offensive talent, which I think most of us would agree was poor at best. The guy could barely improve the talent we would recruit on the offensive side of the roster, what makes you think that he could recognize the talent that was recruited on the defensive side?

Poor at best?! Frankly, you don't know anything about his ability to coach! Kafka, Persa, Bacher, Colter, Siemian, Thorson - all excellent QB's developed by McCall. Our collapse last year was much more about injuries and lack of talent than any offensive scheme, IMO.

We won 8-10 games a year most years and a B1G West title with McCall's horrible offensive schemes. His handling of Thorson in 2015, for example, was outstanding. An RS freshman takes us to a 10-3 record with Big wins over PSU, Nebraska, Stanford, and Wisconsin! Yet NU fans rip Thorson's performance his freshman year. WTF! Oh, sorry, it was ALL our defense...until we had no Thorson returning in 2019. Suddenly, Aiden Smith's D3-level skills are all McCall's fault.

It must suck to be a coach with a long resume of success and have to read this crap from someone who likely never played the game. Sorry, but I hate this errant and unnecessary rock-throwing at coaches from fans.

Last edited:
To be fair, I also pulled that errant coaching criticism crap with Coach Anderson and his verbal coaching style a year ago. It was a stupid and unnecessary argument because I actually like and respond well to hard coaching and because I can see he's a great guy and a great coach for our OL.

How can I judge his coaching if I've never seen him coach or played for him? I can't. It was really stupid! Really nothing more than mindless argument and a troll on gocatsgo and coral, which was fun, but...

After 3 games:

he has had some nice games. IMO his best was his coverage against Maryland.

To be fair, I also pulled that errant coaching criticism crap with Coach Anderson and his verbal coaching style a year ago. It was a stupid and unnecessary argument because I actually like and respond well to hard coaching and because I can see he's a great guy and a great coach for our OL.

How can I judge his coaching if I've never seen him coach or played for him? I can't. It was really stupid! Really nothing more than mindless argument and a troll on gocatsgo and coral, which was fun, but...
I must admit, that post really worried me when you complained about a coach dropping F bombs in practice. I thought you had gone full blown Woke Progressive Toxic Masculinity Hater and the days of you chugging Keystone Light had given way to implementing feng shui in double-wides in the Panhandle...

I must admit, that post really worried me when you complained about a coach dropping F bombs in practice. I thought you had gone full blown Woke Progressive Toxic Masculinity Hater and the days of you chugging Keystone Light had given way to implementing feng shui in double-wides in the Panhandle...

Nah. I admitted that it was sort of a tribute to my HS coach, an ex-marine who never swore. It just was fun to be an ass and argue that crap knowing I had a millimeter of moral higher ground.

I've become full-blown mentally ill from yelling at Trump. Thanks Donald.

Give

After 3 games:

Let's let him play a few more games before we start crowning him. Like what we have seen so far but it has only been three games

Give

Let's let him play a few more games before we start crowning him. Like what we have seen so far but it has only been three games
I think we will find out at least a little bit just how elite BJo is this weekend. He goes up vs some future nfl players when he and the cats visit wlaffette. I will be on the edge of my seat all game. I am sure several nfl scouts will be there. Let's see how we do. BJo is special. I hope he and newsome shut the bmaker train down and never let them back on the track

I think we will find out at least a little bit just how elite BJo is this weekend. He goes up vs some future nfl players when he and the cats visit wlaffette. I will be on the edge of my seat all game. I am sure several nfl scouts will be there. Let's see how we do. BJo is special. I hope he and newsome shut the bmaker train down and never let them back on the track
Agreed! Big weekend! We definitely need to have Bowser ready. If we do,we will win!

Let's see BJo and No Fly Zone do their thing again this Saturday.

Also went to Willard then Haven.

Reactions: DaCat
Ben Hochman writes for the St Louis Post Dispatch. In a recent piece about Kyren Williams, a local kid who excelled this year at ND, Hochman let it be known that his Heisman ballot went as follows:
1) Davonta Smith
2) Mac Jones
3) Brandon Joseph
I wish we beat MSU! Then,he may have been in contention!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT