ADVERTISEMENT

Could RB Evan Hull be NU's next 2019 commit?

Well, clearly we had trouble with depth at kicker this year.

But seriously, what about 2nd-4th string QBs? I absolutely won't name names, but for every Kafka backing up CJ or Persa behind Kafka, there are several kids that just never play. And if they do, it's unimpressive. Part of it may be that coaches just never want to play the guy, but it can't only be that.

It's good to have a good starting QB who stays healthy.

Good thing Evan Hull is from Minnesota. The weather this weekend in Chiberia is brutally cold. If we had recruits from any warm weather state visiting this weekend we’d be screwed.

I expect that if all went well with his visit, we should expect some good news in the next few days.

Our cold is not worse than Minnesota...
I lived in Chicago for 25 years and due east and a little north of Minneapolis for almost 30 years. The raw numbers are lower up north but the mid and moisture in Chicago makes it more uncomfortable a lot of the time.

I am just going off all my Minnesota [TC area] coworkers consistently sharing temps and wind chills.

Their Wednesday is supposed to be colder.

Now if you said Michigan I might agree.

Minneapolis is expecting a high of -15 Wednesday my phone.

It’s gonna be close. Right now, the projected high is -13 here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

I don’t think that two-degree difference is gonna matter much, to be honest.

Reactions: drewjin
It’s gonna be close. Right now, the projected high is -13 here in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

I agree, pretty much doesn't mater either when it's THAT cold.

When I was a kid around Chicago I never felt much difference between about 0 and -15. It's all cold. When you get to -20 and below you're starting to talk about some serious stuff. Last winter I lived in the Chicago area (other than my year at NU) was 1962-63, which I believe is something like the fifth-coldest winter in Chicago history with 24 days of below-zero temps. We had a week straight of -20 and I think they might have closed school one day (because they couldn't get some of the buses started).

When I was a kid around Chicago I never felt much difference between about 0 and -15. It's all cold. When you get to -20 and below you're starting to talk about some serious stuff. Last winter I lived in the Chicago area (other than my year at NU) was 1962-63, which I believe is something like the fifth-coldest winter in Chicago history with 24 days of below-zero temps. We had a week straight of -20 and I think they might have closed school one day (because they couldn't get some of the buses started).
Now they close them because somebody breathed wrong.

I agree, pretty much doesn't mater either when it's THAT cold.

Your coolant knows the difference. Check your anti-freeze!

There are going to be a lot of warped heads and cracked engine blocks after tomorrow

Lots of snow that winter too. I had multiple walks to shovel (with long driveways)and boy, did I get a workout!

Reactions: pawildcat
Both backs (Bowser and Hull) look pretty comfortable running between the tackles. They are patient/find a seam/make a single cut/run north-south-type backs. I was pleasantly surprised by Bowser's speed, balance and agility in tight spaces, as I did not expect this level of skill after watching his HUDL film. He is a better back than I expected coming out of high school. The staff gets big kudos for scouting this. That said, I hope he learns to avoid contact more. I worry about his longevity.

Hull is faster on tape. He might be a (high) 4.4 guy, but what really stands out is his 10-yard burst. He looks like he reaches top gear in 2-3 steps. His acceleration looks exceptional to my untrained eye. This is a great trait to have running in the B1G. He seems to have the balance, vision and one-cut ability to run inside in the B1G, though he will need to get bigger and stronger (I have no doubt he will).

A lot of Hull's tape shows him running off tackle. His line does a good job of getting push and sealing an edge, giving him lots of room. But on many of these runs he cuts back when he finds a seam. He sees the field well and takes good angles. A few times he wins a race to the corner and is able to turn upfield into the secondary. You have to get about 3 minutes in before you see him running more inside. Then you see him following his blocks patiently, finding a small seam, cutting through, and making plays.

He's no blue chip. but Hull has a lot of skills that I think cannot be taught. Just an instinctive runner. I think he may be a real diamond in the rough.

I agree with most of this, but question for the tape gurus. Look at the stride - does that look 4.4 to you? Seems a bit narrow, particularly given his size. Do we know how we timed him at our camp?

Takes nothing away from him - just curious.

My friend is in Rochester right now. He just sent me his screenshot of -21, gonna drop to -30. Lolololol that's disgusting.

I agree with most of this, but question for the tape gurus. Look at the stride - does that look 4.4 to you? Seems a bit narrow, particularly given his size. Do we know how we timed him at our camp?

Takes nothing away from him - just curious.

4.4 at NU camp.

Reactions: epicbret
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT