ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Bonus Year Eligibility Implication

MRCat95

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2006
Chicago
I wonder how many kids will never play Division 1 football because players from 2020 are eating up scholarship slots in the 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there are seemingly always unanticipated consequences from well meaning people in search of short term bandaids.

The NCAA probably should have temporarily expanded the scholarship count for a few years to accommodate the loss of opportunities for 2021-2024 players.

Slightly more kids than those who were previously crushed by an inability to earn a D1 scholarship

I wonder how many kids will never play Division 1 football because players from 2020 are eating up scholarship slots in the 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there are seemingly always unanticipated consequences from well meaning people in search of short term bandaids.

The NCAA probably should have temporarily expanded the scholarship count for a few years to accommodate the loss of opportunities for 2021-2024 players.
I was wondering about this. Exhibit a) something like FORTY kids walk on senior day. Wow. Exhibit b) Braun press conference , he says: "we probably have room for two more commitments in the class as it looks on paper"

What the heck?

I was wondering about this. Exhibit a) something like FORTY kids walk on senior day. Wow. Exhibit b) Braun press conference , he says: "we probably have room for two more commitments in the class as it looks on paper"

What the heck?
And how is that possible with the decommits? We have had more than two depart.

What the heck?

And how is that possible with the decommits? We have had more than two depart.

Because not all of those guys are necessarily leaving. Many decided to “walk” because (I) Braun’s long-term job security was unknown until mid-week and (II) they decided to do so at Ryan Field rather than elsewhere.

I suspect that Braun will have conversations with each of those guys the week of 11/27 (after Illinois) to get a good sense of who’s leaving or staying so we can have a solid plan heading into the portal window opening on 12/4 and the first signing day on 12/20.

You seem familiar…think you posted here before…not quite sure…

I can only speak for the basketball side, but it absolutely killed the 21/22 classes and has led to significant long-term changes. Coaches want older players, and they want to mitigate risk by preferring two/three years of eligibility to four/five years. So there might be a little easing, but it will continue to be difficult for HS players.

I expect NU has an opportunity by focusing on development and investing the additional years in players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT