ADVERTISEMENT

Cut block penalty - was the play design illegal?

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
From what Jake Butt said, it is legal to cut block only if you start within the tackle box and then make the cut block within the tackle box.

Therefore, if you line up a tight end as a wing, as our TE did on the play, he simply can never cut block on that down. Had the TE say, lined up directly behind the tackle (weird, but possible), NU would’ve gained those eight or so yards instead of yielding 15.

It would be frustrating if one of the bigger mistakes of the game was simply a result of the NU staff not knowing the rules.

So, was the TE coached to cut, or not coached to not-cut? It’s such a failure.

I believe we saw Braun mouthing ‘in the box’ in protest. Just so awful. Somebody should know the rules.

The frustrating part to me was that the tight end didn't need to cut block, or even block at all, as the ball was on the other side of the field and the entire action of the play was way past the line of scrimmage at that point.
That is what drove me nuts. Don't they know where the play is going? All he had to do is slow him up as the play was going the other direction.

Reactions: hdhntr1
From what Jake Butt said, it is legal to cut block only if you start within the tackle box and then make the cut block within the tackle box.

Therefore, if you line up a tight end as a wing, as our TE did on the play, he simply can never cut block on that down. Had the TE say, lined up directly behind the tackle (weird, but possible), NU would’ve gained those eight or so yards instead of yielding 15.

It would be frustrating if one of the bigger mistakes of the game was simply a result of the NU staff not knowing the rules.
A huge issue for me is that it was not even needed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT