ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Vitale's blocking

While reading the running backs article on another site I watched the WML TD against Duke and Vitale just blew up his block to Spring WML. I'm sure it's been posted here prior but check out the WML highlight, the second piece of video in the story, to see a classic DV moment! Still don't believe we did enough with him here.
http://www.insidenu.com/2016/5/23/1...n-jackson-warren-long-auston-anderson-feature
I have this little fear that our running game will not be the same without him. Just as we had success when we were the only team using the spread, the last couple of years we have been one of a very few teams with a "halfback" style blocker. Vitale had a combination of speed and power to lay a different kind of block on people who were not used to getting that. You could game plan for him but the learning curve for how to handle a guy with his skill set man on man would not have been easy to practice.

I have this little fear that our running game will not be the same without him. Just as we had success when we were the only team using the spread, the last couple of years we have been one of a very few teams with a "halfback" style blocker. Vitale had a combination of speed and power to lay a different kind of block on people who were not used to getting that. You could game plan for him but the learning curve for how to handle a guy with his skill set man on man would not have been easy to practice.
Great point my good man. I watched a tape on an NU indoor practice and the coaches were praising Moten for nice blocks. Clearly though Moten doesn't have the power of DV.

Great point my good man. I watched a tape on an NU indoor practice and the coaches were praising Moten for nice blocks. Clearly though Moten doesn't have the power of DV.
Molten may be able to get to a point of attack quicker and with a touch more velocity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT