ADVERTISEMENT

Dayton Fans

UD fan here...clearly Norhtwestern was the better team. Northwestern was better and worked harder in every aspect of this game and almost 100% of what I've seen written on the subject by Dayton fans on Dayton boards reflects my sentiment. Officials rarely impact the outcome of a game and that was the case last night. Northwestern schooled UD on both sides of the ball and hopefully UD uses this performance or lack thereof to regroup and move forward.
Thank you and good luck the rest of the way (except against the Spiders).

I think one can dislike that particular song and still be a patriot or believer in God. I find it saccharine. It's not the national anthem. I much prefer the older God Bless America.

Yeah. Welcome to our world where if I think God Bless the USA is a joke of a song, I hate my country.

Seriously, GOU, that type of sentiment is everything that is wrong with this great land.

I'm just going to add to my ignore list. Not worth the effort to preach to minds that actively wish not to be rational. As another great, deep thinker would say, "Sad!"

Reactions: NUCat320
Yes but she still has to live in Dayton.
black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Reactions: DaCat
OK, was trying to think of a reason why a coach's wife,who KNOWS she is part of the face of her program,would tweet an attack on our team appropo of nothing. My theory, which is given further credence by the "No where" portion of her tweet, is that she may have had a tad too many Millers....
morgan-miller.jpg

OK, was trying to think of a reason why a coach's wife,who KNOWS she is part of the face of her program,would tweet an attack on our team appropo of nothing. My theory, which is given further credence by the "No where" portion of her tweet, is that she may have had a tad too many Millers....
morgan-miller.jpg
Or perhaps she's just classless, or auditioning for a coaches' wife job in the SEC.

Another classy tweet by the Dayton Diva of Twitter:

Was at the game last night and my seats were in the middle of the Dayton contingent. It was an incredibly exciting game and I'm so glad I was able to be there. I was very impressed with the turnout of the Dayton fan base. Their pep band was phenomenal. Very passionate fans. Northwestern might be at their highest perch ever in College basketball following the huge win over Dayton. You would never know it based on the attendance last night and the tenor of this message board following the game.

Another classy tweet by the Dayton Diva of Twitter:

There were several; surprised they haven't all been deleted. The worst was the aforementioned one implying that the refs (who I think get paid about $1,000/game, gross of expenses) are overpaid for not getting every call right, when her husband, who makes seven figures, made twice as many mistakes as the refs did last night.

Yeah. Welcome to our world where if I think God Bless the USA is a joke of a song, I hate my country.

Seriously, GOU, that type of sentiment is everything that is wrong with this great land.

I'm just going to add to my ignore list. Not worth the effort to preach to minds that actively wish not to be rational. As another great, deep thinker would say, "Sad!"

Of all the people to harass, Gou isn't one of them. He's a great guy.

Of all the people to harass, Gou isn't one of them. He's a great guy.

I can't deny that, as I don't know him. I have no reason to doubt your contention. He probably is a great guy. But that does not change my assessment of his opinions presented in this thread. Plenty of good people have some bad worldviews.

This one goes out especially to WhinyWife4Life:

I was at the game and I have to interject here. I'm a UD fan and one of the "whiners" in the stands. Dayton fans have been, for a long time, regarded as a very educated fan base by analysts/color commentators at the games. While Dayton fans were wining quite a bit at the UC the other night, not all of it was unwarranted. I haven't seen such an unevenly called game on a neutral court in quite some time. It was interesting to see that many of the replays were shown when NWU was fouled, but never when there was one on Dayton (in other words, many of them were controversial). Dayton fans are completely fine with swallowing the whistle or vice versa-- so long as it's called consistently.

With that said, I'm never going to be the person that says the refs lost the game for Dayton. UD fans will, on the contrary, point directly at the slow start at the beginning of the game as the reason for their loss-- as it was the same story as their other two losses.

We certainly give credit to your boys for coming out ready to play and continuing a ridiculous hot streak of shooting from your last game against Chicago State (60something % from the field?).

As for Morgan Miller-- that's very out of character for her. Crazy to see.

Dayton will be rooting for NWU throughout the season and hope they do well in the Big 10 and land themselves in the dance. Good luck!

Reactions: wildcat1066
Also-- just as a quick side note-- I noticed there was quite a bit of whining on the second-half thread about the refs. Dare I say there was whining on both sides influenced by their teams being in danger of losing the game? :)

[Citation needed]

Unfortunately, I don't have the quote from Jay Bilas as it was on TV. I'll see if I can find something though. It was along the lines of "...one of the most passionate and educated fan bases you'll ever come across."

I was at the game and I have to interject here. I'm a UD fan and one of the "whiners" in the stands. Dayton fans have been, for a long time, regarded as a very educated fan base by analysts/color commentators at the games. While Dayton fans were wining quite a bit at the UC the other night, not all of it was unwarranted. I haven't seen such an unevenly called game on a neutral court in quite some time. It was interesting to see that many of the replays were shown when NWU was fouled, but never when there was one on Dayton (in other words, many of them were controversial). Dayton fans are completely fine with swallowing the whistle or vice versa-- so long as it's called consistently.

With that said, I'm never going to be the person that says the refs lost the game for Dayton. UD fans will, on the contrary, point directly at the slow start at the beginning of the game as the reason for their loss-- as it was the same story as their other two losses.

We certainly give credit to your boys for coming out ready to play and continuing a ridiculous hot streak of shooting from your last game against Chicago State (60something % from the field?).

As for Morgan Miller-- that's very out of character for her. Crazy to see.

Dayton will be rooting for NWU throughout the season and hope they do well in the Big 10 and land themselves in the dance. Good luck!

Thanks for responding Bhflyer5. I rarely make posts like this, but I am the one who started this thread, and kind of regretted it afterwards to be honest. It's not my style to start a confrontational discussion towards other fans. I just felt that in that first half the frustration of how Dayton was playing was playing a lot into the Dayton fans booing every single call that was even close. A few could have been called, no doubt about it, but the booing/whining was every single possession. Dayton fans have a great reputation of being educated, but at that time, it got to be a little much for my blood.

The one thing I will disagree with a bit is that the entire game was called one sided. As that game went on, a lot more calls were going Dayton's way. Did it even out? Who knows? But I think the announcers on the telecast actually made a great point that the team that was being aggressive (NU in the 1st half and Dayton in the 2nd half) were getting the majority of the calls. I think that was a fair point.

No matter what, I wish Dayton great luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for responding Bhflyer5. I rarely make posts like this, but I am the one who started this thread, and kind of regretted it afterwards to be honest. It's not my style to start a confrontational discussion towards other fans. I just felt that in that first half the frustration of how Dayton was playing was playing a lot into the Dayton fans booing every single call that was even close. A few could have been called, no doubt about it, but the booing/whining was every single possession. Dayton fans have a great reputation of being educated, but at that time, it got to be a little much for my blood.

The one thing I will disagree with a bit is that the entire game was called one sided. As that game went on, a lot more calls were going Dayton's way. Did it even out? Who knows? But I think the announcers on the telecast actually made a great point that the team that was being aggressive (NU in the 1st half and Dayton in the 2nd half) were getting the majority of the calls. I think that was a fair point.

No matter what, I wish Dayton great luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for the reply. In our view, Dayton was driving to the hole quite a bit and being very aggressive. Probably, in the hopes of getting fouled and getting your big men in trouble. Those calls are typically made and that's where the frustration lied for our fans, I believe. Additionally, probably half of our fans that were there were not your average fan. Rather, they're UD alumni living around the area that aren't the same type of fan you'd get at UD. All I've ever heard from opposing teams visiting, sans Xavier, is that UD is one of the friendliest and educated they've been around.

I can see how some calls didn't go your way in the second half-- but you're certainly right. It was much more even. However, there were still quite a few missed IMO just like you all think were missed.

As for thewildcat2011's response saying, "False,"--- my statement was a matter of opinion, not fact. In what I have seen, it wasn't as even as others. Then I found out recently that this was actually supposed to be a home game for you guys-- that would make more sense.

Thanks for the reply. In our view, Dayton was driving to the hole quite a bit and being very aggressive. Probably, in the hopes of getting fouled and getting your big men in trouble. Those calls are typically made and that's where the frustration lied for our fans, I believe. Additionally, probably half of our fans that were there were not your average fan. Rather, they're UD alumni living around the area that aren't the same type of fan you'd get at UD. All I've ever heard from opposing teams visiting, sans Xavier, is that UD is one of the friendliest and educated they've been around.

I can see how some calls didn't go your way in the second half-- but you're certainly right. It was much more even. However, there were still quite a few missed IMO just like you all think were missed.

As for thewildcat2011's response saying, "False,"--- my statement was a matter of opinion, not fact. In what I have seen, it wasn't as even as others. Then I found out recently that this was actually supposed to be a home game for you guys-- that would make more sense.
Are you actually trying to claim that Northwestern University Basketball has any sort of home court advantage to the point that referees would be influenced at the United Center? We have almost no home court advantage in our own arena, let alone at the UC.

I would be shocked if you could objectively rewatch the game and have the same opinion.

As to whether they are calls usually made....well you guys shoot about 24 free throws a game on average, and shot 26 against us...sounds about right.

Last edited:
Are you actually trying to claim that Northwestern University Basketball has any sort of home court advantage to the point that referees would be influenced at the United Center? We have almost no home court advantage in our own arena, let alone at the UC.

I would be shocked if you could objectively rewatch the game and have the same opinion.

As to whether they are calls usually made....well you guys shoot about 24 free throws a game on average, and shot 26 against us...sounds about right.

That's a misleading stat if you take a look at our FT game by game. There are some games where we shot lower 30s and upper 20s and some that bring that average down when only shooting about 10. Regardless, I'm not talking about only shooting fouls which aren't going to show up in FTs unless you're talking about getting into the bonus.

Home court advantages aren't necessarily due to the crowd or lack thereof. Typically, on close calls, the refs are going to side with the home team. Either way, back to the original point in response to yours, it was an opinion, not a statement of fact. Thus, saying, "False," is inapplicable.

BEST OF LUCK THIS SEASON 'CATS!

Not impressed with Dayton fans and the BBallWife4Life. Good luck and get some wins to validate our win over you, but your First Lady needs a major attitude adjustment. Not impressed.

That's a misleading stat if you take a look at our FT game by game. There are some games where we shot lower 30s and upper 20s and some that bring that average down when only shooting about 10. Regardless, I'm not talking about only shooting fouls which aren't going to show up in FTs unless you're talking about getting into the bonus.

Home court advantages aren't necessarily due to the crowd or lack thereof. Typically, on close calls, the refs are going to side with the home team. Either way, back to the original point in response to yours, it was an opinion, not a statement of fact. Thus, saying, "False," is inapplicable.

BEST OF LUCK THIS SEASON 'CATS!

I mean...that's how averages work, yes. Not sure how that's misleading. You specifically noted driving to the bucket and not getting calls. If you want to talk about pure foul numbers, then Dayton draws 19.8 fouls a game and were fouled 21 times by NU. Again, seems about right. Meanwhile, we commit about 19.6 fouls a game and committed 21...so again, seems about right. Both teams shot 26 FTs, and in the first half, both shot 9. Now, you can say that the reffing wasn't good, or wasn't consistent, but it certainly was "even."

News to me that refs are going to decide close calls for the home team, given how many times we've been screwed in Welsh-Ryan.

Reactions: NUCat320
I mean...that's how averages work, yes. Not sure how that's misleading. You specifically noted driving to the bucket and not getting calls. If you want to talk about pure foul numbers, then Dayton draws 19.8 fouls a game and were fouled 21 times by NU. Again, seems about right. Meanwhile, we commit about 19.6 fouls a game and committed 21...so again, seems about right. Both teams shot 26 FTs, and in the first half, both shot 9. Now, you can say that the reffing wasn't good, or wasn't consistent, but it certainly was "even."

News to me that refs are going to decide close calls for the home team, given how many times we've been screwed in Welsh-Ryan.

I thought the officiating was mostly fine, other than that the whistles were often a beat or two late. That only inflamed the Dayton folks. You know what else did, though? The constant gesticulation from the Dayton players. I was just about to recommend Pastoral to them as a nice place to stop by after the game.

Two calls they definitely got wrong:

1) Lumpkin threw a bit of a chicken wing on a transition layup. Dayton missed the shot and didn't get the call.
2) Scoochie Smith tackled Law in the last minute and then immediately hit a scramble 3 to bring the game to what, 4? Upon rewatching, Revsine and Crispin were laughing because that no-call was so bad. I'm not sure if there's a win expectancy chart anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changed the possible outcome of the game more than any single play.

Finally, there was a lovely gentleman sitting a few rows behind me in the nosebleeds. He creatively thought he could get our goat throughout the second half by repeatedly yelling out, "NCAA Tournament," as if 1) anyone could hear him and 2) we weren't aware. That chant was replaced by a slurred "Final Four," which was just factually incorrect. Someone did eventually get him to relent to just "Elite Eight," right before the game ended. Strange, though, he was gone when the final buzzer sounded. Not sure what happened to him.

1) Lumpkin threw a bit of a chicken wing on a transition layup. Dayton missed the shot and didn't get the call.

I watched this a few times. Sanjay definitely threw his elbow out there and should have been called if the infraction was intent. In watching it a few times I thought that he missed contact with the Dayton player. He sure tried though and it wasn't crystal clear.

The no calls I thought were interesting were on rebounds and I thought it went both ways. I wrote before that I thought the game was a case of the refs just letting them play.

I thought the officiating was mostly fine, other than that the whistles were often a beat or two late. That only inflamed the Dayton folks. You know what else did, though? The constant gesticulation from the Dayton players. I was just about to recommend Pastoral to them as a nice place to stop by after the game.

Two calls they definitely got wrong:

2) Scoochie Smith tackled Law in the last minute and then immediately hit a scramble 3 to bring the game to what, 4? Upon rewatching, Revsine and Crispin were laughing because that no-call was so bad. I'm not sure if there's a win expectancy chart anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changed the possible outcome of the game more than any single play.

Finally, there was a lovely gentleman sitting a few rows behind me in the nosebleeds. He creatively thought he could get our goat throughout the second half by repeatedly yelling out, "NCAA Tournament," as if 1) anyone could hear him and 2) we weren't aware. That chant was replaced by a slurred "Final Four," which was just factually incorrect. Someone did eventually get him to relent to just "Elite Eight," right before the game ended. Strange, though, he was gone when the final buzzer sounded. Not sure what happened to him.

I certainly wasn't that guy nor do I ever taunt lol but which part was factually incorrect?

Dayton has a little success in the NCAA and suddenly they're Duke? These people have got to get real. And the coach's wife bragging about it on social media is not going to get other people to respect you.

I certainly wasn't that guy nor do I ever taunt lol but which part was factually incorrect?

So what are you doing now? "LOL"

Hey but NU got the win, so I guess that says it all.

So what are you doing now? "LOL"

Hey but NU got the win, so I guess that says it all.

I apologize as the lol was referring to the guy being an idiot and saying those things. Didn't realize how that could be taken differently. I was saying I wasn't that guy in case my question came across as defensive. I'm still curious as to what part was factually incorrect.

What's the Duke part in reference to? I can assure you that the vast majority of Dayton fans wouldn't compare our success as of late to Duke's. However, I can also assure you that there are plenty of drunk fans for all teams that say dumb things from time to time.

Archie Miller hasn't gone to the Final Four as Dayton's coach. I realize at some point in your history your program may have gone. We won a national title in the 1930s but don't brag about it to other teams' fans. The guy was being an obnoxious drunk in a game where his team lost wire to wire. If I had felt like engaging with him, I would have asked him how it felt to get beaten by a team so beneath his lofty level.

By the way, none of this stuff is directed at you. It's good when friendly posters from other schools stop by, win or lose. We're all selfishly rooting for Dayton the rest of the way to help make us look better. We're pumped because we know beating Dayton is meaningful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT