ADVERTISEMENT

Deonte Gibson

Welcome home #13! Back in Evanston as a GA. He'll have a lot to work with over the next couple of years.

Here's the release from NU. They also added another GA...

Northwestern Adds a Pair of Graduate Assistants to Staff

Former Wildcat Deonte Gibson to assist defensive line; Erik Frazier, Jr., will work with wide receivers

EVANSTON, Ill. — Deonte Gibson and Erik Frazier, Jr., have joined the Northwestern Wildcats football staff as graduate assistant coaches, Dan & Susan Jones Family Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald announced Thursday.

The former Wildcat star Gibson joins the staff as a defensive graduate assistant focusing on the defensive line after spending last season with the Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League. Gibson was a third-team All-Big Ten selection for the ’Cats in 2015 after registering nine sacks and finishing with a career-high 38 tackles on the year. He finished his career ranked seventh in program history with 15 sacks, while also tallying 84 tackles and 25 tackles for loss.

Gibson was a team captain of the 2015 squad that went 10-3 and earned an appearance in the 2016 Outback Bowl. A three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection, Gibson earned a degree in communications studies and is pursuing a master’s in integrated marketing communications.

Frazier joins Chicago’s Big Ten Team on the offensive side of the ball working with the wide receivers after spending the last two seasons as the wide receivers coach at Dayton University where the Flyers posted a 19-4 record. A trio of Flyers finished with 500-plus yards receiving in Frazier’s two seasons, including 2016 Honorable Mention All-PFL selection Jack Euritt.

Prior to Dayton, Frazier had a two-year coaching stint at Delaware Valley University. He coached wide receivers in 2014 and wide receivers and quarterbacks in 2015. DVU was 9-2 in both seasons, reaching the NCAA Division III playoffs in 2014 and winning the Centennial-MAC Bowl in 2015. In 2014, Frazier coached All-American, Rasheed Bailey, who is currently signed to a reserved/futures contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Frazier was an all-American himself at Kutztown University. As a senior, he was named a USA College Sports Division II All-American in 2011. That culminated a senior year that saw him named team captain and help Kutztown win the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championships. He was a two-time All-PSAC selection and a member of the school’s Football leadership council as a junior and senior. The Philadelphia native earned his bachelor’s degree in sport management from Kutztown in 2011 and a master’s in policy studies from Delaware Valley in 2016.

Northwestern will host a public practice at Ryan Field at 9:50 a.m., on Saturday, April 8, followed by a free youth clinic for players in grade-8-and-under. After a victory in the 2016 New Era Pinstripe Bowl over No. 23 Pittsburgh, the Wildcats open the 2017 campaign on Saturday, September 2, when they welcome Nevada to Evanston.

I've always loved Deonte and felt he was a great leader and worker.

I like to see them bringing in someone to work with the receivers. Some new ideas and fresh eyes should help.

Reactions: nu greek
Never even heard of Kutztown University before.

Is Mark still on the staff?

Yes, in the recruiting department.

In the same announcement that included Gibson's hire, NU announced that it brought in the WR coach from Dayton as offensive GA to work with the wideouts -- he was a DII All-American at Kutztown.

In the same announcement that included Gibson's hire, NU announced that it brought in the WR coach from Dayton as offensive GA to work with the wideouts -- he was a DII All-American at Kutztown.

So is this a step up for the WR coach? or an opportunity to get experience and a Masters? How does that career path run?

So is this a step up for the WR coach? or an opportunity to get experience and a Masters? How does that career path run?

Many (most?) coaches at lower levels will jump at the opportunity to get a P5 program on their resume, especially if they're still relatively new in the profession. Working to get a "seal of approval" from Fitz is also a pretty good deal for a young coach.

Many (most?) coaches at lower levels will jump at the opportunity to get a P5 program on their resume, especially if they're still relatively new in the profession. Working to get a "seal of approval" from Fitz is also a pretty good deal for a young coach.

And will he end up with a degree?

I think both hires are intriguing. Particularly impressed by the experience and accomplishments of the offensive GA. I think he could have a real impact next season.

Don't think that's any of our business.
Well, sure. I'm just trying to figure out the difference between a GA and a assistant coach. The WR GA has some nice experience with smaller programs. So stepping up to a P5 program is good for his resume, I'm just wondering if there are trade of for him. I have always assumed that a GA is in a degree program of some kind but maybe not.

GA's are ALL in degree programs. Whether they get the degree is up to the individual GA. They're foolish if they don't. They're simply graduate students with a graduate assistantship through the university. That's how most graduate students pay for their tuition (free...paid for by the university), food, and housing, i.e., they work for the university as research assistants, teaching assistants, lab instructors, or in this case, assisting with coaching football. The amount one receives as cash is small (perhaps $20K per year), but tuition is entirely paid for.

Didn't your daughter receive a graduate research or teaching assistantship as a masters student at NU?

Last edited:
GA's are ALL in degree programs. Whether they get the degree is up to the individual GA. They're foolish if they don't. They're simply graduate students with a graduate assistantship through the university. That's how most graduate students pay for their tuition (free...paid for by the university), food, and housing, i.e., they work for the university as research assistants, teaching assistants, lab instructors, or in this case, assisting with coaching football. The amount one receives as cash is small (perhaps $20K per year), but tuition is entirely paid for.

Didn't your daughter receive a graduate research or teaching assistantship as a masters student at NU?

No, the Speech and Language Pathology degree at NU is in such high demand, there isn't much financial assistance. As I understand it. They do have something like 99% placement with in 60 days of graduation. My daughter had job offers 6 months before she graduated and a contract signed at her most preferred job 3 months before she graduated. Now she has head hunters calling here regularly from all over the country. It doesn't hurt that she can do speech pathology in both spanish and english.
She is so much smarter than me.

No, the Speech and Language Pathology degree at NU is in such high demand, there isn't much financial assistance. As I understand it. They do have something like 99% placement with in 60 days of graduation. My daughter had job offers 6 months before she graduated and a contract signed at her most preferred job 3 months before she graduated. Now she has head hunters calling here regularly from all over the country. It doesn't hurt that she can do speech pathology in both spanish and english.
She is so much smarter than me.

I'm unfamiliar with what's involved with the ins and outs of getting a grad degree in Speech Path, so my assumptions and understanding may be way off base. My understanding is that demand for graduate school slots shouldn't affect graduate assistantships. Assistantships should be available on a variable basis depending on the major for those who gain admission into most graduate programs. In biology, there are numerous assistantships for teaching labs and recitation classes(TA's), as well as research assistantships (RA's) through professors who have grants. That's how the university saves some money and frees up professors from teaching responsibilities to do research. I didn't know anyone in biology who was not receiving an RA, TA, or fellowship. Speech Path may have very little need for research assistantships or teaching assistantships much like Writing and History. If GA's aren't offered simply because demand is so high, then that just sucks and is another reason for me to hold NU in low regard as a university (gasp!). I do like their current football program, though.

Oh, and why not attend Iowa or Wisconsin, which have more highly rated programs according to USNews and are presumably cheaper?

Maybe this is none of my business, too.

Oh, and why not attend Iowa or Wisconsin, which have more highly rated programs according to USNews and are presumably cheaper?

Maybe this is none of my business, too.

The only other school that my daughter felt had as good a program as NU was Minnesota as I remember. It was a little cheaper but the family connection to NU was pretty powerful and My daughter had some familiarity with the Northside and liked it there. Plus Minnesota is as cold as the U.P. and having grown up there, balmy Evanston was more attractive. ;) No other program cold boast the placement reputation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT