ADVERTISEMENT

Do you respect the Ivy League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Big Red1

Jul 16, 2005
I hope so. NU and Cornell, for example, are peer schools, albeit the edge goes to Cornell in terms of overall name recognition and global prestige. Our schools should play each other in basketball. Don't assume NU would dominate such Ivy teams as Princeton, Brown, and Yale. Ivy schools are no longer a pushover.

Go Big Red!

There's enough talent out there that Ivy teams can hang with a power 5 team in any individual game. I don't think any Ivy league teams could be competitive 2 games a week for three months against the Big Ten. NU does sometimes play Ivy teams in the pre-conference season. I specifically remember games against Brown. Not sure if we've ever played Cornell.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
I hope so. NU and Cornell, for example, are peer schools, albeit the edge goes to Cornell in terms of overall name recognition and global prestige. Our schools should play each other in basketball. Don't assume NU would dominate such Ivy teams as Princeton, Brown, and Yale. Ivy schools are no longer a pushover.

Go Big Red!
Pondering Season 9 GIF by The Office

Reactions: Secho99

Go Big Red!
You haven’t heard? The Ivy League has become our new training pool for grad transfers who can compete in the B1G.

Thanks for sending Langsborg our way from Princeton - he fit right in, and we wouldn’t have beaten FAU or a number of other teams without him.

Who else you got?

Go Big Red!

I once had a HR VP who was a Cornell dude. He mentioned it a lot. And he was a rotten human being. Of course that is a sample of 1.

The Ivy had 3 good teams this year that would probably be 7 to 11th place in the B1G. I don't think one should have more or less respect for the Ivy League than one does for the Horizon League. They are objectively weak leagues. But many of those, on any given year, will have up to 3ish decent teams.

Last edited:
When I went on a campus tour of Cornell 5 years ago it was located somewhere between Buffalo, Syracuse and Binghamton. There was a bridge over a deep ravine on campus. That bridge had large nets capable of catching a falling student... My daughter did not apply to Cornell... (we toured before she did her applications, which is not the way most kids do it now).

I think Cornell would be comparable to Northwestern if you dug the campus out of Ithaca and plopped it down right on top of Villanova, in the wealthy suburbs of Philly. Or on top of Boston College in a nice part of Boston. Until that happens, NU and Cornell aren't very similar.

Not very much, tbh. The too team in a given year can show up as a low seed and make noise in a game or two obviously, that’s always the case, and there is some talent to pilfer, but that’s as far as it goes.

At first I thought it must be just a new troll account and we took the bait, but I see it was opened in 2005. Weird flex on "global prestige" from someone presumably out of school for almost 20 years. On the one hand, I pay almost no attention to the school on the resume of a candidate. Cornell, Northwestern, fake online degree, no degree. Doesn't matter. Some of the smartest and most effective software engineers I've worked with are self taught. (I can't think of anyone I know who has a CS or related degree from Cornell, btw. And I've run large teams at Microsoft, Amazon, Disney, etc. I imagine they're out there.) But congrats to OP on associating with a school in the same academic vicinity as Northwestern and an endowment gap of just 40% or so!

On the basketball front, Cornell has a raft of players in the transfer portal that are worth a look from NU. And probably many of them could pass admissions.

At first I thought it must be just a new troll account and we took the bait, but I see it was opened in 2005. Weird flex on "global prestige" from someone presumably out of school for almost 20 years. On the one hand, I pay almost no attention to the school on the resume of a candidate. Cornell, Northwestern, fake online degree, no degree. Doesn't matter. Some of the smartest and most effective software engineers I've worked with are self taught. (I can't think of anyone I know who has a CS or related degree from Cornell, btw. And I've run large teams at Microsoft, Amazon, Disney, etc. I imagine they're out there.) But congrats to OP on associating with a school in the same academic vicinity as Northwestern and an endowment gap of just 40% or so!

On the basketball front, Cornell has a raft of players in the transfer portal that are worth a look from NU. And probably many of them could pass admissions.
The Ivies still have a mystique about them that lends to tremendous brand strength. Biden talked about the "river of power" that flows through the Ivies and into Washington DC and other industries. It is still very much a thing.

I have known several Cornell grads. All very intelligent. I think the Princeton grads have impressed me the most. They are less snobby than the Harvard ones, but equally capable and accomplished.

When I went on a campus tour of Cornell 5 years ago it was located somewhere between Buffalo, Syracuse and Binghamton. There was a bridge over a deep ravine on campus. That bridge had large nets capable of catching a falling student... My daughter did not apply to Cornell... (we toured before she did her applications, which is not the way most kids do it now).

I think Cornell would be comparable to Northwestern if you dug the campus out of Ithaca and plopped it down right on top of Villanova, in the wealthy suburbs of Philly. Or on top of Boston College in a nice part of Boston. Until that happens, NU and Cornell aren't very similar.
I had an academic scholarship to both Cornell and Northwestern and chose Northwestern it was an easy choice

Go Big Red!
Nope. Those ivies have lost their direction and lost my respect.

Reactions: drewjin
Nope. Those ivies have lost their direction and lost my respect.
Really? How so?

I hope we keep poaching their best B1G grad transfer candidates but also look at other qualified talent. Admissions will rarely be a problem with Ivy transfers.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
I would tell you but Cappy would just delete yet another post of mine.

#WaytoomanyRedactions
Ahh gotcha. I think the initials of what you’re worried about rhymes with “See Me Cry”.

Don’t worry! Our basketball program will be alright with key transfers like Borg.

If guys like Borg are woke, then consider our fanbase wide awake now!

Reactions: IGNORE2

Go Big Red!
Global name recognition is limited to:
“Wait, are they the worst ivy league school, or is Brown?”

When I hear “Ivy League” I tend to think of [REDACTED] idiocy lately. But the tournament is a great reminder that well-coached teams of lesser athletes can take a group of superior athletes to school on the court.
None the less, the Ivy league was "woke" 50 years ago, when I was there, and now you are awake to finally recognize that. Congratulations on catching up to what has been going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT