ADVERTISEMENT

Does Bowser remind anyone of Jerome Bettis?

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I may be misremembering Jerome Bettis, because he played so long ago for the Irish, but I keep thinking of him nonetheless when I watch Bowser. I know how silly it is to compare a freshman with two starts to one of the greatest RBs of all time, but if he is Bettis-like (and please guys, tell me how wrong I am if I'm wrong!), that would at least help our Notre Dame guests get an idea of what to expect.

What RB does he remind you of, if not Bettis?

I may be misremembering Jerome Bettis, because he played so long ago for the Irish, but I keep thinking of him nonetheless when I watch Bowser. I know how silly it is to compare a freshman with two starts to one of the greatest RBs of all time, but if he is Bettis-like (and please guys, tell me how wrong I am if I'm wrong!), that would at least help our Notre Dame guests get an idea of what to expect.

Nope. Bettis could cut on a dime as a 250-lb RB. Bowser doesn't show Bettis's nimble feet and cutting ability.

Nope. Bettis could cut on a dime as a 250-lb RB. Bowser doesn't show Bettis's nimble feet and cutting ability.

I didn't remember him being so good at the cuts because I just remember him being big and getting any yards he wanted to get just from sheer power. I'll trust your memory better than mine.

Think that NU originally recruited him as a LB and he had few other offers.

Not really. Bettis was a freak of nature when he was at ND. 250lbs+ with super quick feet. Truly a dancing bear. Bowser looks more like a young Noah Herron.

Herron is a good comp as some others have noted. But personally I’d say his running style reminds me of Darnell. Good vision, has a knack for finding the hole, and almost always seems to fall forward through contact. Not the most nimble in terms of juking, but can change direction better than you’d think for a big guy. And accelerates fairly well. He’s not the prototypical modern back, but he’s a nice throwback that is working quite well for us the last couple weeks against B1G defensive fronts.

Reminds me a little of the running style of Mike Adamle, who was honorary captain last Saturday.

Herron is a good comp as some others have noted. But personally I’d say his running style reminds me of Darnell. Good vision, has a knack for finding the hole, and almost always seems to fall forward through contact. Not the most nimble in terms of juking, but can change direction better than you’d think for a big guy. And accelerates fairly well. He’s not the prototypical modern back, but he’s a nice throwback that is working quite well for us the last couple weeks against B1G defensive fronts.

I see a little Autry in him with a little less elusiveness. It's probably too early to tell and hopefully he ends up to be good enough that we will be comparing future NU RBs to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmellyCat
He reminds me of Bob Christian.

A guy who was happy to knock a tackler's jock off, often with great acoustics.

I'm high on Bowser but he has a way to go before he runs over people as Christian did, both at college and in the pros, but good comparison.

I see a little Autry in him with a little less elusiveness. It's probably too early to tell and hopefully he ends up to be good enough that we will be comparing future NU RBs to him.
Haha yep, that’s fair. Not saying he’s Autry quality yet. Though I’ve been impressed with his vision in finding a crease (sometimes a small one) and then maneuvering on the go to hit it. Despite his size, he’s been much better at finding those seams than some of our smaller RBs who look like they should be more nimble. Agree though that he’s probably not the type to make many guys miss 1 on 1 in the open field... he’d rather just try to run right at them. #bowser

61QGLnR%2BspL._SL1000_.jpg

Haha yep, that’s fair. Not saying he’s Autry quality yet. Though I’ve been impressed with his vision in finding a crease (sometimes a small one) and then maneuvering on the go to hit it. Despite his size, he’s been much better at finding those seams than some of our smaller RBs who look like they should be more nimble. Agree though that he’s probably not the type to make many guys miss 1 on 1 in the open field... he’d rather just try to run right at them. #bowser
Isaiah is better than Audrey

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT