ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Nicholson appreciation

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
Seems right to put this out there in light of another thread. This is not about his injury - though it's a bummer and I feel for the guy.

Writing this to share a few things I really like about what a competitor Big Matt is - off the court

First, how he shushed CCC up in the Indiana postgame press conference after trying to sell a misleading answer. (he said plays aren't called for him - building some deliberate competitive subtrifuge into his answer). CC blew it by not playing along. Matt tried to shush him up - it was a really funny moment which said a lot about MN but also about the rapport CC has with his players.

Second, at Purdue this year when he fouled out. Apparently in Mackey the fans erupt when a fouled-out competitive player sits down on the bench. Big Matt stood there in front of his chair until the exact point when Edey was about to release the first free throw - at which point he sat down and the crowed roared. It was perfect - really looked like Edey was affected, and he missed the free throw. The announcers mentioned it and marvelled at the devious genius of that move. The subsequent shot shows Matt and the NU bench cracking up about how Matt had trolled all of Mackey - and Edey - at the same time. That should be a highlight of its own on Northwestern Athletics' channel.

He's a character, seems to have fun engaging in some very competitive mind games. Got to love that - the kind of thing that only a center from NU would pull off. I see he chats to other players during the game as well - it all looks very friendly with a smile - but I can't help but wonder if he's messing with people as he does.

That's one of the many things I appreciate about Big Matt.

Last edited:
usa_today_20248176.0.jpg
We love big Matt! Please heal up fully with Berry and come back with a vengeance for your final collegiate season.

I've never seem him being intimidated by anyone. Smaller, bigger, same size, quicker... I've seen him getting bested, but never intimidated. He just goes out there and makes other teams feel them elbows and that big body.

I’ve been on MN train since the Nance days. I also want more Nicholbombs.

I’ve been on MN train since the Nance days. I also want more Nicholbombs.

Yeah, only Artificial Intelligence knows how deep a run we could have made in the NCAA with Nicholson at the 5, Nance at the 4 and Barnhizer at the 3.

No, wait, I take that back. Chris Lowery was still in Kansas.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Yall don’t find it odd NU hasn’t made a statement on MN? I heard the broken foot right away as well…but the lack of any statement…

Reactions: IGNORE2
Yall don’t find it odd NU hasn’t made a statement on MN? I heard the broken foot right away as well…but the lack of any statement…
I expect that right before gametime this will be announced on the injury report, and that Collins will likely address it in a pre-game interview. My sense is that they didn't officially comment on this so the next opponent would have to gameplan for the possibility of Matt playing.

...except by history, physical exam, x-ray and MRI.
Meniscus damage can be difficult to assess even with an MRI.

I went under not knowing if I’d have my meniscus partially removed or repaired. I awoke to discover the surgeon had repaired one half of my meniscus and performed microfracture surgery on the other half after opening me up and seeing all the damage.

Yeah, only Artificial Intelligence knows how deep a run we could have made in the NCAA with Nicholson at the 5, Nance at the 4 and Barnhizer at the 3.

No, wait, I take that back. Chris Lowery was still in Kansas.
And Barnhizer did not really have his feet on the ground yet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT