ADVERTISEMENT

Roster in review and the future

I jumped on the Mart train because of what I saw a year ago. The flashes were there. Saw that from Smith. Saw some flashes from Hunger and Mullins. Saw nothing else.

Next year - I expect Berry and MN back. And the staring four leaves a giant hole that smith is not positionally able to fill. Mullins and hunger either. But they make for a great three for an 8-man rotation.

So I bid Clayton adieu. And if Stauss or Barkley (who couldn’t be ready to pitch in this year) can’t handle minor minutes next year, then I can find a use for those schollies. And the frosh can plan to redshirt absent mind blowing preseason practices.

That gives me at least two schollie. One goes to smith and the other a transfer pg. If MN leaves, then I go after a big. If Berry goes, I look for a four.

The information I got is that Big Matt should be back next year because he needs additional time to get his undergrad degree. If thats true, there's no shame in it. Juggling academics and D1 sports can be quite difficult. If it isn't true, then I hope Matt sticks around anyhow and I apologize for getting it wrong.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
The information I got is that Big Matt should be back next year because he needs additional time to get his undergrad degree. If thats true, there's no shame in it. Juggling academics and D1 sports can be quite difficult. If it isn't true, then I hope Matt sticks around anyhow and I apologize for getting it wrong.
I’m not losing any sleep over Matt and Ty. They will both be back. The only question is how fast Matt can recover from his foot injury to contribute in the pre-B1G games. Also would like to see a frosh like Angelo being able to contribute immediately but that might be asking too much.

I’m not losing any sleep over Matt and Ty. They will both be back. The only question is how fast Matt can recover from his foot injury to contribute in the pre-B1G games. Also would like to see a frosh like Angelo being able to contribute immediately but that might be asking too much.
I disagree a bit. I love we redshirted two frosh. If they stay, then I want them to get first bite for the extra minutes. Let the frosh run scout team and get plenty of D learning before pushing them into action. If we can get a serviceable PG then PG, Berry, BB, Mart and MN with backup ball handler by committee heavy on BB with Hunger, Smith and next best wing rounding out the 8 man rotation. And if it’s not Mullins, I would expect him to leave next (I see Clayton exiting this off-season).

That’s core D from this year plus growing scoring from that four. Add double double guys in Mart and BB, 3 sharp shooter in Berry. If BB and Mart can improve from the arc and MN become even stronger and dominant… well, this team can be very good again next year. Just need a serviceable PG.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT