ADVERTISEMENT

Offense

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Without a good 3-point shooter on the court with Buie, the offense is going to be stagnant. Barnhizer and Martinelli will take wide open 3’s but neither is comfortable coming off of screens. We couldn’t run a pretty big part of our offense. Once they blitzed Buie in the 2nd half, we were forced to put the ball in Martinelli’s hands way too often. He’s a change of pace guy. Matt has no game outside of dunks and layups. Clayton hasn’t scored in conference. We could have still won if Clayton and Matt made their shots and Rutgers didn’t get every roll (how about that last hook shot?), but without Berry and Langborg, we are bad offensive team.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
I think what we should have done in the second half is just iso Boo up top with 4 wide. Let him try to create 1v1. The screens just enabled them to bring a double. Of course if he drives 1v1 they will bring lots of help but then at least we put the decision making to find an open shooter in Boo’s hands rather than all the other guys who I don’t trust quite as much.

Obviously easy to say in retrospect. Clearly they adjusted at halftime to make anyone but Boo beat them which was smart. And they played very good defense. Langborg going out was brutal, not only did we lose depth but we lost one of the few remaining guys we had that can create his own shot - Boo, Barnhizer, Borg, Martinelli. When Barnhizer and Martinelli have tough games while Borg gets ejected, it’s awfully tough.

Just very frustrating cause it feels like a game we could’ve could’ve couldve won.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I think what we should have done in the second half is just iso Boo up top with 4 wide. Let him try to create 1v1. The screens just enabled them to bring a double. Of course if he drives 1v1 they will bring lots of help but then at least we put the decision making to find an open shooter in Boo’s hands rather than all the other guys who I don’t trust quite as much.

Obviously easy to say in retrospect. Clearly they adjusted at halftime to make anyone but Boo beat them which was smart. And they played very good defense. Langborg going out was brutal, not only did we lose depth but we lost one of the few remaining guys we had that can create his own shot - Boo, Barnhizer, Borg, Martinelli. When Barnhizer and Martinelli have tough games while Borg gets ejected, it’s awfully tough.

Just very frustrating cause it feels like a game we could’ve could’ve couldve won.
Agree about the four wide, would have made P&R w MN an option. But, they weren’t aftaid of BB, MN, …. Anyone for a three as evidenced by the wide open date you BB hit. So if I’m RU, zone or man, I slack all my guys inside the arc and force Boo left.

Agree about the four wide, would have made P&R w MN an option. But, they weren’t aftaid of BB, MN, …. Anyone for a three as evidenced by the wide open date you BB hit. So if I’m RU, zone or man, I slack all my guys inside the arc and force Boo left.
No they were just blitzing or iceing the P&R with Nicholson and then dropping help on the back side. That was not effective either. I think we literally should have just gone boo iso. Or else maybe got him in motion off screens into 1v1 scenarios.

Normally I’m a big guy for balance on offense and ball movement and run the system. Tonight we did not need those. We needed to force feed Boo and get him a 1v1 with as much space as possible. In my opinion.

(Although in his defense I’m sure his legs were pretty dead when you consider all the minutes he’s played this year and that he’s been the focal point of our offense and every defense’s game plan the entire season - he’s been incredible)

No they were just blitzing or iceing the P&R with Nicholson and then dropping help on the back side. That was not effective either. I think we literally should have just gone boo iso. Or else maybe got him in motion off screens into 1v1 scenarios.

Normally I’m a big guy for balance on offense and ball movement and run the system. Tonight we did not need those. We needed to force feed Boo and get him a 1v1 with as much space as possible. In my opinion.

(Although in his defense I’m sure his legs were pretty dead when you consider all the minutes he’s played this year and that he’s been the focal point of our offense and every defense’s game plan the entire season - he’s been incredible)
Keep also in mind that refs weren’t calling anything on RU. Boo goes in and gets thrown down. Beats him up and does nothing for the score.

I think they did what we should have done - make us beat them at the three point line.

He’s a great player, obviously. But he’s not a physical freak. He’s on the small size and not ridiculously fast. If a good defensive team wants to shut him down because they don’t have to worry about anybody else, it’s going to be hard for him to get many open looks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT