ADVERTISEMENT

Resetting expectations - if Matt is out for the season

Baz=Heisman

Feb 11, 2023
Absolutely brutal luck for us right now.

1) If Matt is out, making the tourney (via one more win) is considered a successful season versus making the second weekend prior to Ty being hurt.

2) Langborg needs to suck it up and get his butt back in the lineup. Even if he’s just a decoy and/or can only spot up. We need one more to secure our bid.

3) Luke Hunger needs to man up as well. He is incredibly soft for a guy his size.

I was proud as hell by the fight today but we have not clinched a damn thing yet. Keep punching! Rest up and get ready for MSU. I believe in these guys.

1) If Matt is out, making the tourney (via one more win) is considered a successful season versus making the second weekend prior to Ty being hurt.

2) Langborg needs to suck it up and get his butt back in the lineup. Even if he’s just a decoy and/or can only spot up. We need one more to secure our bid.

3) Luke Hunger needs to man up as well. He is incredibly soft for a guy his size.

I was proud as hell by the fight today but we have not clinched a damn thing yet. Keep punching! Rest up and get ready for MSU. I believe in these guys.
Matt seemed to walk to the sideline ok after the initial ankle twist. I am being optimistic since Collins said Ryan will be back and would have played if the game was more important.

1) it is a successful season no matter how the remaining games go.

2) if Big Matt isn’t playing, Ryan will need to execute a Round Off, Flip Flop, Back before I put him in against MSU. It’s very unlikely we win in East Lansing. Rest Ryan for a very beatable Minnesota team.

3) Soft? Luke’s footwork is slow, are you expecting him to hammer everyone going to the hole.

2) if Big Matt isn’t playing, Ryan will need to execute a Round Off, Flip Flop, Back before I put him in against MSU. It’s very unlikely we win in East Lansing. Rest Ryan for a very beatable Minnesota team.

3) Soft? Luke’s footwork is slow, are you expecting him to hammer everyone going to the hole.
RE 2) I mean, could he do that BEFORE he got hurt? We will never see him again based on this.

Even if it is “just” an ankle twist, don’t expect Big Matt to be back for the next game at least. That means Hunger and Preston are next men up at the five. I hope Borg can play but agree that we shouldn’t rush him. This situation is getting to crisis mode.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman

Please stop this nonsense. If Matt can be there, he will be. He had texted someone that it wasn't terrible but at same time he did not come out for second half

As far as Langborg sucking it up, he wants to play as this is possibly his last chance. If he can play he will be out there. It was not just a simple sprain and he still had a brace on it yesterday. And he is quite possibly facing surgery after the season.

Last edited:
What's basis for surgery possibility comment? Hope he won't miss any more time but appreciate they are not taking chances and getting him as close to 100%.

Please stop this nonsense. If Matt can be there, he will be. He had texted someone that it wasn't terrible but at same time he did not come out for second half

As far as Langborg sucking it up, he wants to play as this is possibly his last chance. If he can play he will be out there. It was not just a simple sprain and he still had a brace on it yesterday. And he is quite possibly facing surgery after the season.
I agree that the "sucking it up" comment is bizarre coming from a person who is supposed to understand athlete's motivation.

Even if it is “just” an ankle twist, don’t expect Big Matt to be back for the next game at least. That means Hunger and Preston are next men up at the five. I hope Borg can play but agree that we shouldn’t rush him. This situation is getting to crisis mode.
Michigan State’s bigs are not very good so we might be able to survive without Matt. Minnesota’s bigs are much more physical.

Luke’s footwork is slow, yes, but he never lays a hard foul and has a low basketball IQ. He often fouls 20+ feet from the basket on switches. He needs to play a lot smarter to start.

Matt texted someone it wasn’t terrible? That’s awesome. And per Collins comments Borg could have played yesterday if it was a tourney game so I’m not sure where the surgery part came from but please do elaborate.

the ankle is kinda key for a 3 pt shooter...you favor it at all and your timing goes to hell..or you favor one foot over another and you turn it a weeble and you develop bad habits on a shot that takes incredible timing and touch... Probably not as significant for Matt.....But you wonder if Coach Collins had developed the bench more over the course of the year...not saying that is the cause of the injuries but this team has been peddle to the metal all year long including rarely subbing in games that were done and over.
Time to challenge the other guys....On the other hand I think Iowa was just a bad match for us.

Does anybody know how Langborg was injured in the Michigan game, but came back out and played the entire 2nd half, including the last 2 minutes after we had gone up by 20, then missed the next 2 games entirely?

That either reflects badly on our medical staff (and to some degree Collins) or it suggests that Langborg aggravated the injury at practice.

It may not even be the same injury.

Reactions: drewjin
I'm guessing a fracture in his foot. Done for a while.

Give Luke a chance to play, that what some folks wanted. I think the defense will struggle. There were a few buckets late in the second half for Iowa that MN deters, but with out there was no fear.

Probably have to go with Mullins more to add some height for reboumds.

Give Luke a chance to play, that what some folks wanted. I think the defense will struggle. There were a few buckets late in the second half for Iowa that MN deters, but with out there was no fear.

Luke will give us more on O but I really think at this point we need to consider mixing in a 2-3 matchup zone. It will help us with fatigue and also fouls, in theory.

Reactions: loyolacat

Yes, it’s a fractured metatarsal. done for year.

Luke will give us more on O but I really think at this point we need to consider mixing in a 2-3 matchup zone. It will help us with fatigue and also fouls, in theory.
I hate zone, but with what NU has left, might have to through in a wrinkle.

Don't see how Hunger helps on offense. Yeah he made one or two three pointers, but not constant. Have trouble beating slower bigs off the dribble as he is not physical enough, YET. Had a nice spin move yesterday, but missed the finish.

As with Mullins and Clayton, getting used to the system and hopefully will benefit down the line.

Does anybody know how Langborg was injured in the Michigan game, but came back out and played the entire 2nd half, including the last 2 minutes after we had gone up by 20, then missed the next 2 games entirely?

That either reflects badly on our medical staff (and to some degree Collins) or it suggests that Langborg aggravated the injury at practice.

It may not even be the same injury.
He turned his ankle during the game and headed to the locker room. Was there for awhile before coming back in.

Crazy he was just running down the court then this. Stunning. Looked like a sprain but maybe the pop preceded the foot roll. Sure hope he comes back next year with a vengeance.

I hate zone, but with what NU has left, might have to through in a wrinkle.

Don't see how Hunger helps on offense. Yeah he made one or two three pointers, but not constant. Have trouble beating slower bigs off the dribble as he is not physical enough, YET. Had a nice spin move yesterday, but missed the finish.

As with Mullins and Clayton, getting used to the system and hopefully will benefit down the line.
I actually think we can beat MSU (assuming Borg’s back) because their bigs are very, very average. Payne will destroy Luke/Preston though in the Minnesota game. Will take a Herculean effort to beat them.

Hunger has got to toughen up and get more physical in a hurry..or they will just take him wood shed every time down court...now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

Hunger has got to toughen up and get more physical in a hurry..or they will just take him wood shed every time down court...now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.
Hunger and Preston are both capable. See first Purdue game. They both know what is needed so have to up their games bigtime.

Hunger and Preston are both capable. See first Purdue game. They both know what is needed so have to up their games bigtime.
They have not been capable (at least not for any consistent period) but let’s hope they rise to the occasion.

Nick will have to play defense the rest of the year. I don’t know what that was against Iowa.

Berry and Nicholson out for the year and Langborg questionable. Hopefully we can still play in the Big Dance but as someone has followed NU sports since the mid 1960s (when my high school participated in Band Day at Dyche Stadium) this sequence of event reminds me of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We need more details about Matt’s injury.
So, he’ll be questionable for the Final Four?

This is a real bummer.

There is only second hand info about a “metatarsal fracture” It may not be 5 th metatarsal and maybe it is just a hairline break. Also college age bones heal faster than elderly bones

It's odd, because Big Matty had that slow start and doesn't light up the stat sheet, but NU will miss him more than Berry. I don't envision Hunger, or especially Preston, "stepping up" sufficiently. When Berry went down, Martinelli started playing 40 minutes a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT