ADVERTISEMENT

CCC and staff.

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
Loved what they did today. CCC outcoached ole Undie. Hawkins got his, but I thought putting the small guys on him was the right move. Isolating Boo on Domsak or Goode was awesome. Those two had no chance to stop Boo. Inserting Big Matt and not expecting him to hang out at the line guarding Hawkins freed up Matt to help down low. Coverage at the three was much better. Barney guarded well and Ty stayed with TSJ when he had to. The 🧙 had them switching at the right time. At any rate, there was A LOT of adjustments from the debacle in Rantoul. There were plenty of well designed in bounds plays and the weave with Matt getting in the way opened up the driving lanes. Didn’t just roll out the same game plan and hope we executed better. Good job.

The adjustments were very good. Even if they had not worked, it still made sense to make them. We got smoked and exposed badly in Champaign.

We understood the problem getting posted was not by the big guys, it was by the difference in athleticism in the back court. We understood the doubling at all costs was a disaster, as it was in Lincoln, and we adapted. We understood this was a game to bring elbows and physicality, hence Hunger did not even play. We understood, in the second half, where and who to go to depending on their switch, as reflected by Barnhizer or Berry's second half.

Loved what they did today. CCC outcoached ole Undie. Hawkins got his, but I thought putting the small guys on him was the right move. Isolating Boo on Domsak or Goode was awesome. Those two had no chance to stop Boo. Inserting Big Matt and not expecting him to hang out at the line guarding Hawkins freed up Matt to help down low. Coverage at the three was much better. Barney guarded well and Ty stayed with TSJ when he had to. The 🧙 had them switching at the right time. At any rate, there was A LOT of adjustments from the debacle in Rantoul. There were plenty of well designed in bounds plays and the weave with Matt getting in the way opened up the driving lanes. Didn’t just roll out the same game plan and hope we executed better. Good job.
Yes the adjustment to not double made a huge difference. In game one they annihilated us with backside cuts against the double team. This time we let our guys play straight up man with limited doubles (only in very adverse matchups) and did less switching. I still think having the aggressive double team is a key option in our playbook (I'm pretty certain it will be used again for the Purdue rematch), but we don't need to use it every time against every team. Smart for them to adjust.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
IMHO, if basketball gets any better than NU played yesterday, no one could tell. Incredible determination on both sides.

Other teams may have higher ranked players, but NU has higher ranked coaches.

NU plays like that and they can beat anybody. After one dreary NU hoops decade after another, it's exciting to have a competitive team these past few years, and this NU team could be the best ever.

Yes the adjustment to not double made a huge difference. In game one they annihilated us with backside cuts against the double team. This time we let our guys play straight up man with limited doubles (only in very adverse matchups) and did less switching. I still think having the aggressive double team is a key option in our playbook (I'm pretty certain it will be used again for the Purdue rematch), but we don't need to use it every time against every team. Smart for them to adjust.
I have to agree that tonight showed substantial variation in our defensive system - one that can be readily deployed in the future too. Awesome progress by the coaching staff and demonstrates growing capability. Kudos to CCC and the wizard. Now add a zone for little random fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT