ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fitz realize the last 2 years would get him fired from EVERY OTHER P5 in the nation?

olshin

Oct 6, 2001
I mean think about it.

I'm not saying he deserves to be fired. Obviously his career, his situation, everything has to factor in. He just needs to realize that our performance from the second JON was brought in as DC would get him fired from every other P5 in America and most college programs regardless of level.

To do NOTHING about that is mind boggling.

Reactions: drewjin and NUCats
He realizes that he is the King of Northwestern football and that the normal expectations of accountability apparently don't apply here.
There is something to this. I've said many times that college football media is made up of nothing more than glamor program jock sniffer analysts. They have very low expectations of Northwestern football and any success is surprising because NU is not a blue-blood traditional power. Fitz understands this, and knows the jock sniffers would have his back if Northwestern fired the most successful head football coach in its history. The national reaction would be: How could this happen at Northwestern of all places?

In the postgame press conference, Fitz said we could still make a bowl game if we win out.

And he’s right! At 5-7, we could make one.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and phatcat
Here’s the question, how many P5 staffs have stayed intact after two seasons at 4-20? Can anyone find a P5 program with as bad or worse a record over a two year span that didn’t make significant coaching changes?

Reactions: drewjin
In the postgame press conference, Fitz said we could still make a bowl game if we win out.

And he’s right! At 5-7, we could make one.
There's always that glimmer of hope. Last week Iowa that was the only game with a chance to win. I honestly don't know who is delusional, Fitz, or the rest of us watching this unfold.

Actually if you throw out the COVID year (which obviously had other variables) it's 3 klunker years in a row.

Reactions: NUCat320
My freshman year [1980] we list 63-0, the next year 70-6. This could be worse. Ryan Day wants style points
The only chance to keep OSU under 70 is for the offense to put some drives together. Because this defense isn’t forcing any punts against them. If they have 10 drives they’ll score 70.

NU’s championship season included a forfeit and no crowds on the road. I guess so did everyone’s, but it was a fluke.

It counts, but for anyone who lived through it, the year gets a big asterisk.
I actually refuse to throw out 2020 at all. That was a good team that throttled Auburn in front of thousands of fans to win the Citrus Bowl. That season was an achievement. And NU often seems to play better on the road than at home, so the lack of fans isn’t really compelling to me. The program, players and coaches deserve full credit for the 2020 season. But then one coach retired and we’ve seen what’s happened since. That’s the issue imo

Last edited:
>>>

Does Fitz realize the last 2 years would get him fired from EVERY OTHER P5 in the nation?​

<<<
Absolutely! When there were reports of potential interest from Michigan (2011) and Notre Dame, I think he was smart enough to understand that his playing career would give him zero leeway for error in either Ann Arbor or South Bend. With no coordinator experience, he doesn’t bring a reputation of a particular scheme or innovation to either side of the ball and neither of those fanbases would put up with the meaningless pablum spewing out of mouth post-game and in weekly media availabilities the second time (much less the 20th).

What he has at Northwestern is time and much longer “leash” than he would have anywhere else in the country. That he maneuvered each instance of “reported interest” into raises and extensions is proof that Fitz is nobody’s fool.

>>>

Does Fitz realize the last 2 years would get him fired from EVERY OTHER P5 in the nation?​

<<<
Absolutely! When there were reports of potential interest from Michigan (2011) and Notre Dame, I think he was smart enough to understand that his playing career would give him zero leeway for error in either Ann Arbor or South Bend. With no coordinator experience, he doesn’t bring a reputation of a particular scheme or innovation to either side of the ball and neither of those fanbases would put up with the meaningless pablum spewing out of mouth post-game and in weekly media availabilities the second time (much less the 20th).

What he has at Northwestern is time and much longer “leash” than he would have anywhere else in the country. That he maneuvered each instance of “reported interest” into raises and extensions is proof that Fitz is nobody’s fool.
I regret that I have but one Like to give to this comment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT