ADVERTISEMENT

Does Northwestern recruiting have any life during this dead period?

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
These are the dog days of recruiting.

First of all, we’re in the middle of a recruiting dead period. So while college coaches can text or call prospects and their parents, they can’t have face-to-face contact with recruits or visit their high schools. On top of that, most coaches are on vacation at this time, trying to take advantage of days off they won’t get again between the end of July and Christmas time. That means sources are difficult to reach, as well.

My attempts to reach several 2020 prospects still on NU’s radar have had very little success. Defensive end and wide receiver are probably the two most obvious needs remaining, but I’ve made very little headway in clarifying either position.

Wide receiver seems to be a priority now that top target Cameron Martinez has committed to Ohio State.

I texted three-star WR Chayce Bishop to see if Northwestern was still in the picture. “Yes!” was his emphatic, one-word response. However, he didn’t answer any follow-up questions or take any of my calls. Bishop, who took an unofficial visit to NU during spring practice, has kept a low-profile throughout his recruiting process -- the last story in the network with quotes from Bishop was published last August.

One wide receiver who would like to be in the mix but apparently isn’t is Jordyn Turner. The 6-foot-5 unranked prospect, who moved from Brentwood, Calif., to Bothell, Wash., this year, was listed in the Rivals database with a Northwestern offer, but he told me that he never received one. “They were just really interested in me at the beginning of the year,” he said. “Hope they reach out soon.” He said that Northwestern hasn’t reached out in a while but would “absolutely” be in the hunt if they did.

There was another misreported NU wide receiver offer in the database that I cleaned up. Someone had entered a Northwestern offer for three-star WR Chance Luper of Texas. But I confirmed with him that the Cats had never offered him.

So, to put it another way, there's a chance for Chayce, but no chase for Chance. (I'll see myself out.)

My attempts to reach four-star WR Rome Odunze – the guy who would top most of our wish lists – have been unsuccessful. Given his offers and stories in the network, Northwestern seems to be on the outside looking in.

On the defensive end front, I haven’t been able to get a hold of three-star Ohio DE Jaiden Cameron in quite some time. He visited NU unofficially in early June, the last time I spoke to him. He has taken officials to Cincinnati, Michigan State and Minnesota since visiting NU.

Three-star DE Deontae Craig also seems to have fallen off the map for the Wildcats. I haven’t talked to Craig in months, but sources are implying that he has moved on -- and that NU is as perplexed as we are as to the reasons why, especially after an unofficial visit this spring that was viewed as successful by both sides.

We’ll have to wait and see how the rest of this class shakes out. One thing is certain: with 15 commits already on board, Northwestern isn’t feeling any pressure to offer or take any players at this point.

The next event on the schedule will be Northwestern’s annual barbecue, which is slated for July 27. They are hoping to lure some top 2021 prospects to the lakefront for that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News