ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t give up! Thoughts from a longtime NU fan

Pasadena Bound

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
I have been a season ticket holder for over 40 years and Northwestern football is very important to me. From unimaginable depths in the late 70’s, I lived through the resurrection of our program under Gary Barnett. Words cannot express the joy of that experience and the thrill of our Rose Bowl appearance. I came to know some of my best friends as a result of being an NU fan. Needless to say, Northwestern football is very important to me and a big part of my life. I am not quitting on this team or Northwestern football.

Like many of you, I am disappointed in the overall results since our B1G West Championship season two years ago. But I think the old saying “things are never as bad or good as they seem” applies to our situation now. No doubt we are going through a rough patch but this happens to most teams. It can be fixed. At the end of the season, I believe Fitz will review what’s right and what's wrong and make changes where necessary. A leap of faith perhaps but I do believe it. But in the wake of a few tough losses, let’s remember the many positives we have going for us: offering young men a “top 10” education that will change their lives, Coach Fitz who is a Northwestern icon and a great role model for our kids, world class facilities that among the best in the nation and a chance to compete in what I think is the premier conference in the country.

To those of you who say you will cancel your season tickets and cease donating to NU Athletics, that is your right. And I totally “get” your frustration with the season to date. But I humbly ask you to take a deep breath, have some faith that our problems are fixable and will be addressed and most important, don’t quit on our kids. They are working hard and deserve our support. And they need your support now more than ever. I hope we show up in big numbers for the Wisconsin game and kick their a$$.

Keep the faith and Go ‘Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News