ADVERTISEMENT

dOSU

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Man alive, 25% of the first 16 draft picks are from OSU. Maybe this is the year to have the Bucks back on the schedule. Obviously, they are still an elite team, but doesn't there have to be some falloff from all the guys going to the big league???

Man alive, 25% of the first 16 draft picks are from OSU. Maybe this is the year to have the Bucks back on the schedule. Obviously, they are still an elite team, but doesn't there have to be some falloff from all the guys going to the big league???

Altogether, they're returning five or six starters. They're missing 75% of their O-line, their three best receivers (Miller, Marshall, and Thomas), their top TE (Vannett), and their all-world RB (Elliott), so yeah, I think so! Beating the OSU 'O' will come down to containing the run game. Can NU stop Barrett and whoever wins the tailback spot, Dunn or Weber? What kind of factor will quick Curtis Samuel be on jet sweeps and direct snaps? I'm confident that NU's secondary can handle the shots down the sideline that the Buckeyes will take when we load the box.

As for the OSU D, they've lost everybody but Hubbard and McMillan. Still, they recruit better than anybody and the D will be easier to coach up. Greg Schiano is intriguing as a co-DC with Fickell.

It's going to come down to stopping Barrett.

I agree that this would be a year to see OSU stumble against some teams, both those that they could lose to based on paper and possibly some teams that you wouldn't think they should lose against. Barrett may be able to win a couple of games with his play, but he's not a Braxton Miller type who you can use to be the main (and by main I mean only) focus of an offense. Barrett needs guys around him.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see anywhere from 2-4 losses this season. Having said that however, it will also be a team with 44 players with freshman eligibility. So if they do exceed realistic expectations or just look on the verge of breakthrough regardless of final record, I could see them having some really good years in the near future.

I agree that this would be a year to see OSU stumble against some teams, both those that they could lose to based on paper and possibly some teams that you wouldn't think they should lose against. Barrett may be able to win a couple of games with his play, but he's not a Braxton Miller type who you can use to be the main (and by main I mean only) focus of an offense. Barrett needs guys around him.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see anywhere from 2-4 losses this season. Having said that however, it will also be a team with 44 players with freshman eligibility. So if they do exceed realistic expectations or just look on the verge of breakthrough regardless of final record, I could see them having some really good years in the near future.

Still and all, I suspect OSU will be a 2 TD fav when NU comes a callin'

How many OSU players left early? If none then this is just another day at the office in the reload machine.

Yes 9. What could be a big factor is the early Oklahoma game. It would almost be better for them to lose that game, take some pressure off the team, and learn where some weak points exist that they can address. It could propel them the way the Va Tech game did in 2014.Not necessarily undefeated the rest of the way or to the playoffs, but a team that gets better to the point at the end of the season they are considered among the elite.

I fear that an early win there, while as a fan would be great, could lead a young team to think that they are better than they are and thus leave themselves open to some losses in the Big.

This is definitely the year to play OSU in Columbus although they still have a solid veteran QB which is always an important starting point. We haven't won there since 1971 (a game I witnessed). They will always be formidable, but this season will be as close to a rebuild as you'll likely see there in quite a while.

Yes 9. What could be a big factor is the early Oklahoma game. It would almost be better for them to lose that game, take some pressure off the team, and learn where some weak points exist that they can address. It could propel them the way the Va Tech game did in 2014.Not necessarily undefeated the rest of the way or to the playoffs, but a team that gets better to the point at the end of the season they are considered among the elite.

I fear that an early win there, while as a fan would be great, could lead a young team to think that they are better than they are and thus leave themselves open to some losses in the Big.
the only pressure OSU will have next year is to win the Michigan game. they would need to do that to keep harbaugh mania under control. everything else is gravy for them

Reactions: FCMj
An impressive showing for the Big Ten East Runners-Up. Maybe next year they put it all together and get to the Big Ten championship game.

I would like to think that this upcoming season is the year to play OSU in Columbus and think we have a shot, but OSU recruits 4 and 5 star football players by the dozens and they will simply replace their star players with other star players. If you think OSU's defense will not stack the box with 8 to stop our talented RBs and dare that our WR corps can not beat their faster and more talented secondary and CBs, I think you have not looked at our roster. Too fast, too strong and too big is OSU. I would love to say that this year could bring a different outcome, but I do not see it. And unfortunately, OSU has another 5-star Bosa arriving in Columbus this fall. OSU football is SEC-like and a football factory. I love NU and hope for the best, but we are not, which is a good thing except those Saturdays when we get pushed around by more athletic, stronger teams. (See UM and UT games from this past year. I do think the Iowa debacle was an anomaly and we should have played them tighter).

To let you guys no dont expect a big fallback for OSU.Twenty-two red-shirt players biting on the bit plus four years of top 3 recruiting.Walker fan seems to know what he is talking about.The Oklahoma game will be a big one,win that and watch out.Oh by the way look for OSU receiving core to be one of there stong points alot of speed.By the way had 14 players leave early.Already projected to have top class comming in next year

To let you guys no dont expect a big fallback for OSU.Twenty-two red-shirt players biting on the bit plus four years of top 3 recruiting.Walker fan seems to know what he is talking about.The Oklahoma game will be a big one,win that and watch out.Oh by the way look for OSU receiving core to be one of there stong points alot of speed.By the way had 14 players leave early.Already projected to have top class comming in next year
Never said there would be a big fallback but inexperience is a factor for any team regardless of the raw talent you put on the field.

Don't know exactly but I think around 9.
If nine guys left early for the draft, one intangible is going to be lack of senior leadership because basically the most talented half of your Senior team is gone this season. Surely they lost 18 starters from last year due to graduation and the early exits, didn't they?

The Texans drafted Braxton Miller in the third round. Interesting pick, and you know Bill O'Brien had a say in that one. But an OSU guy plus two Notre Dame players in the first two rounds make rooting for the Texans just a little harder. :)

Once again, OSU have a 3-year starter at QB in Barrett. That is a huge factor to have an experienced QB returning. Urban Meyer has strung together top 3-5 recruiting classes over the past three years. They have recruited high level players from the southeast like LB McMillan who is headed for the 1st round of the NFL draft in two years. The talent level is not close. NU does not have a WR corps who can match up with OSU or pose any deep threat so that shrinks the field and spotlights the differences in speed. Our OL is average at best and will get manhandled OSU. OSU has three games that the talent could give them problems: 1. Nonconference game against OU, 2. MSU and 3. UM. Why? Those teams have the athleticism in their line play to hang with OSU for 4 quarters. Cat Reporter, I like your optimism but I don't see it. Urban Meyer is I think I have heard 51-4 in 4 seasons at OSU with his only losses to VaTech, Clemson in a bowl game and MSU twice. I don't see NU having the talent to beat OSU in Columbus. I hope that the 'Cats turn OSU over and win the special teams battle but I do not see happening.

If nine guys left early for the draft, one intangible is going to be lack of senior leadership because basically the most talented half of your Senior team is gone this season. Surely they lost 18 starters from last year due to graduation and the early exits, didn't they?

Keep in mind they won the NC easily two years ago with a young team.

Don't get me wrong. I think it will be a huge upset if we beat the Buckeyes in Columbus. I was just saying that if you have to play them on the road, this was the year you might have a puncher's chance to win. That's all.

the only pressure OSU will have next year is to win the Michigan game. they would need to do that to keep harbaugh mania under control. everything else is gravy for them

There's always pressure to beat Michigan, and losing them is always a disaster, but that is never all they have to do. This season A loss to Oklahoma is acceptable, a loss in the conference is understandable, beyond that and the pressure starts to rise.

There's always pressure to beat Michigan, and losing them is always a disaster, but that is never all they have to do. This season A loss to Oklahoma is acceptable, a loss in the conference is understandable, beyond that and the pressure starts to rise.
10- 3 with a bowl win anc Mich win will satisfy most

A 10-3 season even with a Win over Michigan would satisfy most OSU fans for one year. Two years would be unsettling, and three years would be a problem. Now pre-BCS Bowl era there would have been more leeway.

We will be loaded next year! Can't say the same thing for OSU! Michigan looks pretty solid! We need to find a way to beat them!

MSU is full of Ohio kids that were not offered by OSU. Dino took Tressel ball to Michigan State.

The reason they go there is competition,if there ready to play Urban plays them.All games on national TV.and look at the games that are night games on primetime.OSU is always in the national Title hunt.Also doesn't hurt they have only lost 4 games since Urban has been there.

The reason they go there is competition,if there ready to play Urban plays them.All games on national TV.and look at the games that are night games on primetime.OSU is always in the national Title hunt.Also doesn't hurt they have only lost 4 games since Urban has been there.

Hope they match that loss total this year, with one coming at the hands of the Wildcats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT