ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Peterson decommits from Minnesota

Why have collegiate athletics? Are they central to the core mission of a university (teaching,research, service)? Why not go to the European system if club teams, and relieve schools of the burden of managing athletics in the first place?

PS—Let’s take your idea of a developmental football league to its logical conclusion. Let’s say the top 25 percent of college football players choose to go to the developmental league. You don’t think that will have a DRAMATIC impact on the quality of NCAA football and the interest in college football? It would have much more impact than letting kids monetize their social media accounts.

I pretty much agree with Fitzphile.

And if somebody wanted to start a club system like they are doing in soccer here in the U.S., I'd have no problem with it. I think that's also a great professional developmental system. It's ironic that you are advocating stopping all college athletics because the NFL won't fund its own developmental league to address causes problems in two sports out of the large overall number. I don't think we should let a problem in a couple of sports stop all of them when college athletics provide a fantastic facet to the overall college experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJCat
The quality of NCAA hoops is much worse than the NBA yet I bet the NCAA ratings are higher through the season even before you factor in the boon that is March Madness.

They are not. The absolute biggest regular season college games of the year - Duke/UNC etc. - get comparable ratings to the NBA regular season, but the vast majority get immeasurably small ratings.

I pretty much agree with Fitzphile.

And if somebody wanted to start a club system like they are doing in soccer here in the U.S., I'd have no problem with it. I think that's also a great professional developmental system. It's ironic that you are advocating stopping all college athletics because the NFL won't fund its own developmental league to address causes problems in two sports out of the large overall number. I don't think we should let a problem in a couple of sports stop all of them when college athletics provide a fantastic facet to the overall college experience.
I’m not advocating stopping college athletics. I’m merely pointing out that college athletics has become a largely independent business with very little connection to the main mission of the university it is loosely attached to. Sure we’d all love for college football and basketball to go back to the way it was when we fell in love with the sports. All of that changed when the Supreme Court said every school and conference could cut their own TV deals and NCAA athletics became multi-billion dollar enterprises. And everybody got rich except the players. So now that the NCAA is finally getting around to letting the kids get a piece of the pie, I have no problems with the fact the game is not the same.

I’m not advocating stopping college athletics. I’m merely pointing out that college athletics has become a largely independent business with very little connection to the main mission of the university it is loosely attached to. Sure we’d all love for college football and basketball to go back to the way it was when we fell in love with the sports. All of that changed when the Supreme Court said every school and conference could cut their own TV deals and NCAA athletics became multi-billion dollar enterprises. And everybody got rich except the players. So now that the NCAA is finally getting around to letting the kids get a piece of the pie, I have no problems with the fact the game is not the same.

I'm confused by what you're arguing then because you wondered why have college athletics at all, so I took that you were being sincere in your argument. Why wouldn't college athletics be interesting tbecause it would no longer have professional players? If you aren't interested in rooting for a college team, can't you go root for the professional team that the players you are more interested in play for? You're talking about making changes for all of college athletics for a problem created by not even all of the revenue sports teams. It's really just a small portion of revenue sports teams.

I'd be fine with player stipends and a percentage of media revenue set aside for players of revenue sports...once the barriers to professional careers for players who don't want to go to class are removed and the NFL does their own professional development program. The NBA has figured it out...now it's time for the NFL to do so and leave college athletics to college students.

Last edited:
I'm confused by what you're arguing then because you wondered why have college athletics at all, so I took that you were being sincere in your argument. Why wouldn't college athletics be interesting tbecause it would no longer have professional players? If you aren't interested in rooting for a college team, can't you go root for the professional team that the players you are more interested in play for? You're talking about making changes for all of college athletics for a problem created by not even all of the revenue sports teams. It's really just a small portion of revenue sports teams.

I'd be fine with player stipends and a percentage of media revenue set aside for players of revenue sports...once the barriers to professional careers for players who don't want to go to class are removed and the NFL does their own professional development program. The NBA has figured it out...now it's time for the NFL to do so and leave college athletics to college students.

What is the fundamental difference between a football player getting paid for his image and likeness and a concert pianist on a musical scholarship making money from performances and private lessons?

Nike doesn’t pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to concert pianists.

Correct. And the NCAA doesn't govern intercollegiate music competitions. As such, there isn't a competitive balance being impacted. Anyone got a bead on what they serve at the training tables for the concert pianists?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT