ADVERTISEMENT

DU @ NU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
After getting past Bye in a week that gave few answers about how good the Cats are, this week NU faces a Duke team that has beaten them consistently over the last few years. Will this season be different?

Time to prognosticate.

Richard Nixon 24
Adlai Stevenson 28

Duke looked like the next Alabama against Temple. They should easily win the ACC. We will be lucky to stay within three touchdowns of them. So my prediction is

Cats 28
Blue Guys. 24

Hopefully much prediction will be as accurate as the one I made for the Nebraska game.

I predicted a 3- point Cat victory against Neb. I think this one will be nerve-wracking until we pull away at the end.

NU 27
Duke 17

Sorry guys. Not sold that we can contain a mobile quarterback. Duke has a serviceable tight end and a better DL than Nebby.

Puke 31
NU 21

Reactions: rmndcat
Time for ancient history to repeat itself. Forget the last three times we fell to Duke. Fitz's 3-3 record for the last six times we played them will go to 4-3.

Besides it is Heroes Day Saturday and when we played them in 2001 after our game with Navy got cancelled due to 9/11 it was a victory for the Cats.

Purple Angels: 24
Bedeviled Devils: 17

I want to believe, but this game feels so much like a come-back-to-earth game for us. I'll pick the Cats, but I really don't what to expect.

Cats 31
Duke 27

JON continues his comeback tour with another solid defensive scheme against Duke, and Hilinski has another solid game. Cats go into halftime with a 2 score lead and coast through the rest of the game, letting Brick and Porter loose to run down the clock in the second half.

Cats 31
Duke 13
Thinking about a Fitz team "coasting" in the second half conjures images of leads past, slowly slipping away. point gaps vanishing, and other horrors once the foot has come off the gas.

I am not sold just yet. Primarily for three reasons. Firstly Cats double digit favorites, generally not a solid history of covering a spread like that. Secondly while I was enthusiastic with their latest offensive showing. Hilinski and company need to prove to me they can perform that way consistently. Lastly Jon’s defense as good as they were late they still gave up 28 and had lapses to a perceived bad team.

Kitty Cats 31
Devils Royal Hoard 27

After getting past Bye in a week that gave few answers about how good the Cats are, this week NU faces a Duke team that has beaten them consistently over the last few years. Will this season be different?

Time to prognosticate.

Richard Nixon 24
Adlai Stevenson 28
Cats by 9!

My actual prediction is that if the Cats win their game against Duke, it will bode very well for the rest of their season. They may not beat such as OSU, but given this win, I can''t think of others they won't have a fighting chance to beat. And based on Nebraska, that's what the Cat's are once again doing.

Like others on this thread, I'm not yet sold on how balanced the team is. While I'm optimistic that the offense has made improvements from last year, I still need to see more from the defense - particularly the pass rush and the secondary. It's not clear to me that O'Neil's defense is actually any good at all based on how Nebraska has played so far. I think this will be a frustrating game for us and a nail biter.

Northwestern - 24
Duke - 27

Like others on this thread, I'm not yet sold on how balanced the team is. While I'm optimistic that the offense has made improvements from last year, I still need to see more from the defense - particularly the pass rush and the secondary. It's not clear to me that O'Neil's defense is actually any good at all based on how Nebraska has played so far. I think this will be a frustrating game for us and a nail biter.

Northwestern - 24
Duke - 27
Bleeding purple? Yep, the purple is leaking out of you. 😀

Reactions: rmndcat
We should win this game, but hard to say it will point one way or another. We lost to Duke in 2017 and still won 10 games. We lost to Duke in 2018 and still won the division.

100% guaranteed there will be overreactions to whatever happens on Saturday. It likely only means something if we have 5 wins going into the Illinois game or some scenario like that where it's the difference between bowl eligibility or not. Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa games are way more important.

24-14 Northwestern is my prediction for the game.

We should win this game, but hard to say it will point one way or another. We lost to Duke in 2017 and still won 10 games. We lost to Duke in 2018 and still won the division.

100% guaranteed there will be overreactions to whatever happens on Saturday. It likely only means something if we have 5 wins going into the Illinois game or some scenario like that where it's the difference between bowl eligibility or not. Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa games are way more important.

24-14 Northwestern is my prediction for the game.
Good points. The most meaning to this game is continue the match towards bowl eligibility, while snapping that annoying losing streak.

27-23 duke...

Hope I'm wrong (again)

Just seems to me that betting Duke on the money line is the right play.

Nervous about this one. But that’s true of every single game. Let’s call it especially nervous, given previous debacles.

It is rare to face a team where at least one opposing fan doesn't show up. Usually a thread like this is a magnet for opposing fans.

I kinda' respect that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT