ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and Transfers

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I haven't done a deep dive on all of the Sweet 16 teams but of the ones I have watched, it seems like everybody has at least 1 really important 4th or 5th year transfer other than Duke (no offense to Ryan Young). Scheyer has taken the 5-star recruit approach. He plays one senior (Roach) and a bunch of underclassmen that were all Duke recruits. Interesting to see how they do against Houston (that has a bunch of seniors on the roster). The transfer approach has been more effective but when the COVID year goes away after next year, I assume that will give the Duke model a boost.

I wonder if the Fab 5 would have had the same success today with the transfer portal (meaning other teams would have stacked their rosters with 4th and 5th years) or if they even would have had a chance to all play as freshmen because of veterans transferring in. It's a different world for good and bad. Although always happy if Duke gets knocked out.

I haven't done a deep dive on all of the Sweet 16 teams but of the ones I have watched, it seems like everybody has at least 1 really important 4th or 5th year transfer other than Duke (no offense to Ryan Young). Scheyer has taken the 5-star recruit approach. He plays one senior (Roach) and a bunch of underclassmen that were all Duke recruits. Interesting to see how they do against Houston (that has a bunch of seniors on the roster). The transfer approach has been more effective but when the COVID year goes away after next year, I assume that will give the Duke model a boost.

I wonder if the Fab 5 would have had the same success today with the transfer portal (meaning other teams would have stacked their rosters with 4th and 5th years) or if they even would have had a chance to all play as freshmen because of veterans transferring in. It's a different world for good and bad. Although always happy if Duke gets knocked out.

Sounds like Duke may be altering their approach. Check Lou’s latest scoop on the Rock.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Ryan Young is getting some decent PT so far for Duke tonight. He's obviously limited athletically, but he plays hard and relatively smart (though he did miss two FTs).

L.J. Cryer for UH is a transfer from Baylor who's been a big part of his team's success. He's also the brother of Justin Cryer, who was a NU football commit until Fitz got fired.

Reactions: drewjin
The Duke/Houston game is extraordinarily physical. I think Duke puts Young out there to send a message that they will play physical if that's the way you want it.

The Duke/Houston game is extraordinarily physical. I think Duke puts Young out there to send a message that they will play physical if that's the way you want it.
Extraordinarily physical, and yet Duke's been whistled for only five fouls with less than two minutes left in the half. 🤷‍♂️

You know, good for Young. He left NU when it looked like he'd never have a chance to play in the NCAAs, and even though NU got better when he left, I'm sure he has no regrets. He's in the elite eight, where his team will be the favorite (although against an improbably red-hot Wolfpack) to make the Final Four. Happy for him.

Ryan Young fouls out with four rebounds and four points, including this jam:

You got to see all the good and bad in his game. Got some offensive rebounds. Found openings under the basket for easy baskets. Physical defender. But then Houston started to go at him at the end of game. And he fouled out on a 3-point play at the rim. He’s going to the Elite 8 and he was a contributor. Good for him.

I hate to say Ryan Young and Duke got lucky, but Houston's best player turned his ankle in the first half and couldn't return. That's sports, I guess. Now, Duke plays NC State to advance to the Final Four, which makes me a bit nauseous. You know Jim Phillips will be there. The question is which color tie he'll be wearing.

Reactions: jschufreider
Duke used RY 23 minutes and the rest of the bench got 7 minutes. I feel a bit silly we like to bitch so much about not being deep.

What didn't sneak past some of us is that Ryan Young was playing the 5 (because of his skillset) and NBA-bound 7 footer Kyle Filipowski was playing the 4...

Young was +18 for the game, according to goduke.com.
Starting forward Mark Mitchell was -7.
Filipowski was -3.

I saw it now and I still don’t believe it…
He can dunk, at least with a running start. His other FG in the game came on a lay-in under the basket where he had a nice head fake to get the defender up in the air. Almost any other post player would have dunked the ball (think Nichol-bomb), but not RY.

What didn't sneak past some of us is that Ryan Young was playing the 5 (because of his skillset) and NBA-bound 7 footer Kyle Filipowski was playing the 4...

Young was +18 for the game, according to goduke.com.
Starting forward Mark Mitchell was -7.
Filipowski was -3.

Is there really a difference between the 4 and 5 in that offense? Filipowski scored plenty of points in the paint but was also able to play outside because he can hit threes and dribble the basketball. Ryan Young has no ability to do those things, so he hangs out near the basket and looks to disrupt things on defense and grab rebounds.

UH plays a small lineup, which is why RY was in the game with Filipowski.

Is there really a difference between the 4 and 5 in that offense? Filipowski scored plenty of points in the paint but was also able to play outside because he can hit threes and dribble the basketball. Ryan Young has no ability to do those things, so he hangs out near the basket and looks to disrupt things on defense and grab rebounds.

No, there isn’t. There’s only the difference between their two respective games. These old, rigid positional distinctions are largely irrelevant and only useful as general descriptive categories to describe body types and play styles.

You got to see all the good and bad in his game. Got some offensive rebounds. Found openings under the basket for easy baskets. Physical defender. But then Houston started to go at him at the end of game. And he fouled out on a 3-point play at the rim. He’s going to the Elite 8 and he was a contributor. Good for him.

He can dunk, at least with a running start. His other FG in the game came on a lay-in under the basket where he had a nice head fake to get the defender up in the air. Almost any other post player would have dunked the ball (think Nichol-bomb), but not RY.
Watched the dunk live and it did not require a running start. Ryan did a lot of things well in that game, mostly because he knows how to play the game.

Reality is that he could have helped this years NU team as well, Specially once Nicholson went down

Reality is that he could have helped this years NU team as well, Specially once Nicholson went down
North Carolina State starting lineup are all transfers. Kind of off-puting. Call me old-fashioned.

Well Filipowskiis a stretch 4 or 5.
Basically a better version of Pete Nance.

Ryan Young is a 5. Traditional center.

In Duke's offense, when Young is playing, he is setting screens and doing similar stuff to what Nicholson does.
When he does get the ball in the paint, he's usually open or able to get a shot up. But they're not really looking to him for points.

When Filipowski is the 5, he plays like Pete Nance did except with more post activity.
When Mitchell is at the 4, he plays like a traditional power forward.

Houston does playa smaller lineup, which makes it interesting that Duke went bigger to create mismatches. Our coach Collins will often go smaller to try to match the other team / eliminate the mismatches that favor them.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT