ADVERTISEMENT

Duke is going to be a bowl team

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Duke is currently 2-0. Here’s their remaining schedule - they avoid Clemson and could start 6-0.
  • NC A&T
  • @ Kansas
  • Virginia
  • @Georgia Tech
  • UNC
  • @ #13 Miami FL
  • @ Boston College
  • Virginia Tech
  • @ #23 Pittsburgh
  • #19 Wake Forest

If they can’t find 3-5 more wins with this schedule… egads.

Duke is currently 2-0. Here’s their remaining schedule - they avoid Clemson and could start 6-0.
  • NC A&T
  • @ Kansas
  • Virginia
  • @Georgia Tech
  • UNC
  • @ #13 Miami FL
  • @ Boston College
  • Virginia Tech
  • @ #23 Pittsburgh
  • #19 Wake Forest

Duke will win 5 more games. Elko was a good hire, and I think Johns will prove to be a good OC; he is a Randy Walker guy and he learned under our spread offense.

Reactions: drewjin
So what? We lose to them when they suck and when they are above average. Losing to them makes me feel like other B1G West teams when they lose to NU. They should NOT be a peer program. They are one of the two or three weakest teams in a weak conference. Losing 4 straight to them would be like losing 4 straight to the likes if ILL, Oregon State or Vanderbilt.

I'm sorry if you find it acceptable to lose to them, after a bye week, at home. I don't buy it. Fitz was all excuses about the poor start, but the defense still has huge holes.

Look, I enjoyed the comeback and am going to several other games this year, but I am sick of losing to mediocre Duke and sick if a crappy defense.

That's called read and react. I read your post and reacted. And it is about as worthwhile as JON'S schemes

So what? We lose to them when they suck and when they are above average. Losing to them makes me feel like other B1G West teams when they lose to NU. They should NOT be a peer program. They are one of the two or three weakest teams in a weak conference. Losing 4 straight to them would be like losing 4 straight to the likes if ILL, Oregon State or Vanderbilt.

I'm sorry if you find it acceptable to lose to them, after a bye week, at home. I don't buy it. Fitz was all excuses about the poor start, but the defense still has huge holes.

Look, I enjoyed the comeback and am going to several other games this year, but I am sick of losing to mediocre Duke and sick if a crappy defense.

That's called read and react. I read your post and reacted. And it is about as worthwhile as JON'S schemes
I’m not happy with the loss either. But if both teams make it to 6-6 or 7-5, it won’t sting as much as, say, being a Top 10 team and losing to Appalachian State or Marshall at home.

Did you cancel your subscription to the Rock? Was that also “read and react”? (Cueing @CoralSpringsCat…)

The good news is that there's a rumor that Nebraska is seriously considering Jim O'Neil for the Scott Frost vacancy.

• Love
  • NC A&T
  • @ Kansas
  • Virginia
  • @Georgia Tech
  • UNC
  • @ #13 Miami FL
  • @ Boston College
  • Virginia Tech
  • @ #23 Pittsburgh
  • #19 Wake Forest

The "Bowl Team" standard is an embarrassingly low bar when *most* programs go bowling in this day and age. It's like saying your date has all their original teeth.

Unrelated: I definitely cringed a little when I saw Kevin Johns was the OC. Ghosts of the past.

Duke did not impress me and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't reach 6 wins. I think they'll lose to Kansas and then we'll see where it goes from there.

I’m not happy with the loss either. But if both teams make it to 6-6 or 7-5, it won’t sting as much as, say, being a Top 10 team and losing to Appalachian State or Marshall at home.

Did you cancel your subscription to the Rock? Was that also “read and react”? (Cueing @CoralSpringsCat…)
I let it expire and was able to hang around for a few days until I was kicked out by CSC (not really).

I'd bet App State would beat Duke, and I'd rather lose to them once than continually to Puke

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I'd bet App State would beat Duke, and I'd rather lose to them once than continually to Puke
Absolutely. It's so humiliating. At least App State (when they were still FCS!) had that famous win over Michigan.

^ Of course, esp. after the disaster that was last season, but let's not make the Cats or Dook becoming bowl eligible (let's say 6 wins) a sign of them actually being decent/good as opposed to being a by-product of their weak schedules.

^ Of course, esp. after the disaster that was last season, but let's not make the Cats or Dook becoming bowl eligible (let's say 6 wins) a sign of them actually being decent/good as opposed to being a by-product of their weak schedules.
It depends on who we beat. And who they beat. But 6-6 or 7-5 is still way better than 3-9.

Reactions: StreamCat
When it comes to playing Duke in football, our fan base suddenly turns into Nebraska. Give credit where it's due, Duke has our number, and have the makings of a good team this year under first year coach Elko.

Reactions: StreamCat
When it comes to playing Duke in football, our fan base suddenly turns into Nebraska.
I’m not sure I understand your reference. Don’t our fans regularly compliment Nebraska’s fanbase about how nice and friendly they are to ours, win or lose?

It depends on who we beat. And who they beat. But 6-6 or 7-5 is still way better than 3-9.

Of course, but going 6-6 in the pathetic West isn't exactly an accomplishment (only in light of coming from a 3 win season is it seen as some sort of accomplishment).

When it comes to playing Duke in football, our fan base suddenly turns into Nebraska. Give credit where it's due, Duke has our number, and have the makings of a good team this year under first year coach Elko.

It's one thing to lose to Dook in a singularity, it's another thing to lose to a bad to mediocre Dook team 4 consecutive times.

Nebby usually lost to the Cats when they were at least decent (if not good); if anything, getting destroyed by a 3-win Nebby team last season was way underperforming.

Dook didn't always have the Cats' #, and there's a reason why Dook fired one of their most accomplished HC's and hired someone else.

Can we grumble about losing to another FCS team?

• NC A&T
  • @ Kansas
  • Virginia
  • @Georgia Tech
  • UNC
  • @ #13 Miami FL
  • @ Boston College
  • Virginia Tech
  • @ #23 Pittsburgh
  • #19 Wake Forest

SIU too! Now, know who is not?

Huh? What?
I was teasing that you said Duke is going to a Bowl suggesting the loss wasn't so bad. So in that vein, I said SIU is also going bowling (yes, I know they are not the right division - sarcasm) Then, for bonus points, I asked a layup question with the answer being NU.

So, as I said about Kansas...
Kansas is one of the most improved teams in Division 1.
Remarkable progress since a coaching change in May 2021.

So I saw your original post and thought "Well, yes Kansas could beat them, but that doesn't mean Duke stinks..."

Jury is still out!

fwiw, Jeff Sagarin now has Kansas as #49, Duke #68, NU #105

Duke pummeled Miami (FL) for their fifth win and is now bowl eligible based on their APR if they run out of 6 win teams. One more win should definitely clinch one.

Nice debut season by their coach, and turnaround by their team.

Duke pummeled Miami (FL) for their fifth win and is now bowl eligible based on their APR if they run out of 6 win teams. One more win should definitely clinch one.

NU can still become bowl eligible

Miami's starting QB was injured in the first half and they benefited from some ridiculous fumbles that spotted them three scores in the first half. I was not impressed with this win, but they are better than NU and have a very good chance of bowling.

Miami's starting QB was injured in the first half and they benefited from some ridiculous fumbles that spotted them three scores in the first half. I was not impressed with this win, but they are better than NU and have a very good chance of bowling.
Give me a break. They won 45-17 after only being up 10 at the half.

Remind me of your being unimpressed when we lose to Illinois and Minnesota by similar margins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT