ADVERTISEMENT

Earnest Brown with a sack in the US Army All-American Bowl!

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
NU DE commit Earnest Brown just came steaming off of the right edge and sacked East QB Tua Tagovailoa, an Alabama commit. Brown's helmet popped off, but he was jacked. He showed some burst on that play, blowing right past the East left tackle.

I believe Brown is the first NU commit to play in the All-American bowl. Ifeadi Odenigbo played in the Under Armour game and Clayton Thorson played in another all-star game, but Brown is the first Wildcat in the Army Bowl.

I think it was his first series of the game. I am not sure the OL even touched him. Can't wait to see him play for NU.

Reactions: rmndcat
Impressive! Keep the poachers away. Sounds like he is a firm commit and looking forward to seeing him in purple... or black... or gothic... as a NU Wildcat.

Reactions: cat inkansas
From all accounts it will be hard to keep this kid off the field in 2017. He's got enough size and strength to play Day 1.

From all accounts it will be hard to keep this kid off the field in 2017. He's got enough size and strength to play Day 1.

I think he may need to take a year to build some strength and size, especially vs. the run. He's still pretty skinny. But we'll see. The Cats lose Odenigbo and Robbins, so he could get pressed into duty as a pass rusher.

I think he may need to take a year to build some strength and size, especially vs. the run. He's still pretty skinny. But we'll see. The Cats lose Odenigbo and Robbins, so he could get pressed into duty as a pass rusher.

If Gooden isn't ready for the role, he might have to bring some speed off the edge.

If Gooden isn't ready for the role, he might have to bring some speed off the edge.

Washington and Gaz will probably be the starters, with Goens, Carnifax and Gooden providing depth. If one or more of those youngsters isn't ready, or if Brown is just the fastest or the best pass rusher of the bunch, then he'll play as a true freshman.

Love it

Washington reminds me a little bit of Deonte Gibson, hoping his has a big ten caliber season next year.

Gaz looks great too, not sure who to compare him to

I just went through the box score but missed watching the game. Earnest Brown was the only player for either team to record a sack. Pretty impressive! He didn't have any other defensive stats though. Each team had 4-5 TFLs.

I just went through the box score but missed watching the game. Earnest Brown was the only player for either team to record a sack. Pretty impressive! He didn't have any other defensive stats though. Each team had 4-5 TFLs.

More important than today, Earnest had 36 TFL, including 10.5 sacks, for Denton Ryan this season.

Story on Earnest from the Denton paper

He was just super fast and the QB took too deep of a drop so the lineman could't keep up. I'd like to know if that lineman was one of the ones that he had a hard time with during the drills. It would illustrate how artificial the drill is.

NU DE commit Earnest Brown just came steaming off of the right edge and sacked East QB Tua Tagovailoa, an Alabama commit. Brown's helmet popped off, but he was jacked. He showed some burst on that play, blowing right past the East left tackle.

I believe Brown is the first NU commit to play in the All-American bowl. Ifeadi Odenigbo played in the Under Armour game and Clayton Thorson played in another all-star game, but Brown is the first Wildcat in the Army Bowl.
On 247sports, Brown was called the biggest steal (which is, of course, insulting). But it's nice to read that he impressed during the week of practice (writer called him a future NFL lineman) and said that people will ask how the heck Northwestern got him. Again, exciting and insulting at the same time.

On 247sports, Brown was called the biggest steal (which is, of course, insulting). But it's nice to read that he impressed during the week of practice (writer called him a future NFL lineman) and said that people will ask how the heck Northwestern got him. Again, exciting and insulting at the same time.

Pretty much comes with the territory for NU. Like that Michigan D line coach asking if the kid is crazy. No that would be your Head Coach!

When Brooks gets an offer from LSU, they only mention the other schools he is visiting, not NU.

Take a look at a visitor site when one of our offered guys gets on their map. Very rarely do they mention our offer, even if the kid expresses interest.

I know Brown is skinny, but I still expect him to play as a true freshman. He is as good a looking DL prospect from HS tape as I can remember us landing. Seems to want to excel as well. That combination is tough to keep off the field.

Pretty much comes with the territory for NU. Like that Michigan D line coach asking if the kid is crazy. No that would be your Head Coach!

When Brooks gets an offer from LSU, they only mention the other schools he is visiting, not NU.

Take a look at a visitor site when one of our offered guys gets on their map. Very rarely do they mention our offer, even if the kid expresses interest.

I know Brown is skinny, but I still expect him to play as a true freshman. He is as good a looking DL prospect from HS tape as I can remember us landing. Seems to want to excel as well. That combination is tough to keep off the field.

I think XWash was only about 235 lbs. as a true freshman DE when he burned his shirt. Jordan Thompson was also a little underweight as a true frosh. I fully expect to see Earnest Brown burn his shirt and play as a true frosh.

I think XWash was only about 235 lbs. as a true freshman DE when he burned his shirt. Jordan Thompson was also a little underweight as a true frosh. I fully expect to see Earnest Brown burn his shirt and play as a true frosh.

235 pounds plays a little differently on a 6-1/6-2 frame than it does a 6-5/6-6 frame.

While Brown definitely has the burst you look for, he could still use an extra year in the weight room. In terms of pure college readiness, I still think he might be behind both Kent and Miller even if he does have the highest ceiling of the three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT