ADVERTISEMENT

Eclipse Thread

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
34-facts-about-the-movie-apocalypto-1696731014.jpg

Heads might soon start to roll....?? I am watching sun now with special glasses given to me by amateur astronomer. The moon is sliver in sun. Pretty cool 😎 👌

Reactions: drewjin
Family traveled to Hoosierville for totality.

I hear Mike Woodson is sacrificing a walk-on in gratitude to the sun god. William Shatner is at Memorial Stadium, but we just went to a park.

Last edited:
There's a little black spot on the sun today.
That's my soul up there.
For your soul, you need a -

FARTVOLUS Cordless Cleaning Brush with 8 Replaceable Brush Heads, Bathroom and Floor Tile 360 Power Scrubber Dual Speed with Extension Handle.​

Reactions: stpaulcat
Disappointing here in Texas, as it's overcast and rainy. It got very dark, but no different from when a big thunderstorm rolls in.

Interesting to look at the traffic map leaving the totality areas now. Lots of red headed back to Oklahoma, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Boston, etc. Be safe out there!

Disappointing here in Texas, as it's overcast and rainy. It got very dark, but no different from when a big thunderstorm rolls in.

Interesting to look at the traffic map leaving the totality areas now. Lots of red headed back to Oklahoma, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Boston, etc. Be safe out there!
I saw it in Austin, and the eclipse did not disappoint. The sky was overcast leading up to it, then magically cleared up and the eclipse was very visible.

I saw it in Austin, and the eclipse did not disappoint. The sky was overcast leading up to it, then magically cleared up and the eclipse was very visible.
Nice! Great timing.

We were out in the Hill Country last October for the Ring of Fire eclipse. Not as grand as what you experienced today, but it was still pretty cool to see (using eclipse glasses).

Lived through multiple eclipses but was never in the path of totality. I think eclipses tend to be anti climatic, but totality is a game changer. 1 second and it feels someone flipped a light switch that darkened the room, if the room was the entire sky. And then it's a dark ball with fire behind it. It is incredibly cool.

Fabulous viewing here on the shores of Lake Erie in Fairview, Pa. Totality occurred at 3:18 pm, but it started at around 2:00 pm. It was so dark at 3:10 that the lights came on in the parking area in the lake access area about a half mile from our house. Thousands traveled to the Erie Pa area to watch. Never to be forgotten!:cool:

Lived through multiple eclipses but was never in the path of totality. I think eclipses tend to be anti climatic, but totality is a game changer. 1 second and it feels someone flipped a light switch that darkened the room, if the room was the entire sky. And then it's a dark ball with fire behind it. It is incredibly cool.

Besides yesterday I caught the 2017 eclipse as well. When it comes to solar eclipses go total or go home.

I was so floored by the 2017 eclipse — roughly 95% totality where I was in Atlanta at the time. Even in August, we felt a chill in the air, and then the birds started their nighttime calls and the frogs started croaking. I was amazed by the eeriness, and immediately made plans for totality in 2024.

This weekend in Bloomington was truly memorable. I’m a Hoosier grad alum, and my 15-year-old was born in (now-demolished) Bloomington hospital. He and his brother were willing “tourers” all weekend long, gamely visiting the sites of the early stages of my wife and my marriage. (Sadly, wife couldn’t get out of work and daughter had missed too much school already.)

It was cool to see the boys’ brains churn as they considered their futures, and started to understand what college can look like, and it was also fun to see them pound BuffaLouie’s wings.

While the weekend would have been fun, as it turns out, even without the eclipse, totality truly was an amazing capper. The sky was azure blue, despite fears of cloudiness in the lead up. The park was packed. The boys were as amazed as I was, and I am now fully onboard with a “totality-only mentality”.

Within 30 minutes, daylight to haze to the last wisps of daylight WITH A GIGANTIC BLAZING DONUT IN THE SKY, and then back to haze and again to daylight. Pretty cool to join hundreds of other in applauding, uhh, nature.

I glanced directly into the sun a few times, with no apparent retinal damage. I live dangerously.

What a weekend.

Last edited:
I was so floored by the 2017 eclipse — roughly 95% totality where I was in Atlanta at the time. Even in August, we felt a chill in the air, and then the birds started their nighttime calls and the frogs started croaking. I was amazed by the eeriness, and immediately made plans for totality in 2024.

This weekend in Bloomington was truly memorable. I’m a Hoosier grad alum, and my 15-year-old was born in (now-demolished) Bloomington hospital. He and his brother were willing “tourers” all weekend long, gamely visiting the sites of the early stages of my wife and my marriage. (Sadly, wife couldn’t get out of work and daughter had missed too much school already.)

It was cool to see the boys’ brains churn as they considered their futures, and started to understand what college can look like, and it was also fun to see them pound BuffaLouie’s wings.

While the weekend would have been fun, as it turns out, even without the eclipse, totality truly was an amazing capper. The sky was azure blue, despite fears of cloudiness in the lead up. The park was packed. The boys were as amazed as I was, and I am now fully onboard with a “totality-only mentality”.

Within 30 minutes, daylight to haze to the last wisps of daylight WITH A GIGANTIC BLAZING DONUT IN THE SKY, and then back to haze and again to daylight. Pretty cool to join hundreds of other in applauding, uhh, nature.

I glanced directly into the a few times, with no apparent retinal damage. I live dangerously.

What a weekend.
Great post - thanks for sharing! I was as overwhelmed yesterday as you must have been in Bloomington, but didn't have the benefit of my daughters with me. My wife and I will be talking about it for a long time!:cool:

I convinced my family to take the drive to upstate New York given that I (naively) thought it would only be 3 hours each way. 11 hours and 523 miles later, it was completely worth it and one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. Most importantly, my wife didn't want to murder me after that much time sitting in traffic.

I'm no @Alaskawildkat, but I did get a few cool shots:

AP1GczP7vDoFwxGZp-zdjchVcPVetGWCNFfr-no_-IYsCB0czTv1v9qKP2OpzwLp4OXmyVSII3HOPKjtv62Y5LLf0njs_1haHfWQ-k-EyJvL4OHBxkEsgISdF1VKPaWSoza6m9BZ9bSrTJF_t2FQyBC0aXgs6w=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczOZvjTrQcVcR0gXyVjGCnzl2SDhbfyh6y9nbuTnaEKS6lSnLQjWRuVi3cMwoOIBq0vNbYws6I3mM80GQtnmvDWwrK2HTP7n7t6iadz_0oU0_Xotq_Z-ptJQvF07Nivf5O91uE1mvMYh_ZgZeFlJv5PkHw=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczNln7GwF1Rv7uKniWYwkN7KbPR3TarPieYMQGqi1019Q3QW9hFYl6RdnnHHuisRVOKhbvIBKO4TzLULriknnf42hex9zEgWgl6ovLV1c0raZofM_vZ09ZCzNiso6u_08Jd7AsS23cm618FTD06jggNINg=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczOfmQiM4i8gUEx94g7dw7m7weNhWHuFKp5LYp-3FML2tGmWkiNEI0KJ6s_-DrSP6rk-5z7iLuuhgJLQuPxHAmI7vF1yjAfnS28MiIXbbGo5gFWXdjPTY2JVAYQdrERjKM03nELeAGVh9QlvEKUhL1FMhA=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

I convinced my family to take the drive to upstate New York given that I (naively) thought it would only be 3 hours each way. 11 hours and 523 miles later, it was completely worth it and one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. Most importantly, my wife didn't want to murder me after that much time sitting in traffic.

AP1GczP7vDoFwxGZp-zdjchVcPVetGWCNFfr-no_-IYsCB0czTv1v9qKP2OpzwLp4OXmyVSII3HOPKjtv62Y5LLf0njs_1haHfWQ-k-EyJvL4OHBxkEsgISdF1VKPaWSoza6m9BZ9bSrTJF_t2FQyBC0aXgs6w=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczOZvjTrQcVcR0gXyVjGCnzl2SDhbfyh6y9nbuTnaEKS6lSnLQjWRuVi3cMwoOIBq0vNbYws6I3mM80GQtnmvDWwrK2HTP7n7t6iadz_0oU0_Xotq_Z-ptJQvF07Nivf5O91uE1mvMYh_ZgZeFlJv5PkHw=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczNln7GwF1Rv7uKniWYwkN7KbPR3TarPieYMQGqi1019Q3QW9hFYl6RdnnHHuisRVOKhbvIBKO4TzLULriknnf42hex9zEgWgl6ovLV1c0raZofM_vZ09ZCzNiso6u_08Jd7AsS23cm618FTD06jggNINg=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm

AP1GczOfmQiM4i8gUEx94g7dw7m7weNhWHuFKp5LYp-3FML2tGmWkiNEI0KJ6s_-DrSP6rk-5z7iLuuhgJLQuPxHAmI7vF1yjAfnS28MiIXbbGo5gFWXdjPTY2JVAYQdrERjKM03nELeAGVh9QlvEKUhL1FMhA=w1559-h1039-s-no-gm
Great job Cappy! It sure was an incredible experience. Thanks for the photos. Our Alaska pal would be impressed I'm sure.

Great job Cappy! It sure was an incredible experience. Thanks for the photos. Our Alaska pal would be impressed I'm sure.
Definitely impressed!

At the appointed time I looked up into the Alaska skies and saw only the sun shining brightly. Glad you could get photos like that.

I have friends in Evanston who drove to Niagra Falls in the hopes watching the celestial phenom but not sure if the predicted clouds cleared sufficiently to get to see the sun's corona ringing the moon. Regardless, just experiencing the earth turn dark in mid day would have to be a memorable experience in and of itself.

Ah, we get another chance in 20 some years. "We" being persons much younger than some of us.

• Sad
Glad many of you got to see the great event. Northwest San Antonio was in the path of totality, but clouds blocked the sun. We did get two minutes of darkness, with the solar powered lights night coming on. My son made the drive north from NYC almost to the Canadian border to get a clear view. He said it was spectacular. Go Cats!

I'm glad lots of people got to see the total solar eclipse. I saw my first total eclipse in 2017 near Clemson, GA. Definitely worth the 800-mile drive to experience 3 minutes of totality.

I hope everyone gets a chance to see a really good northern lights show as well while the sun's been active. I miss seeing the northern lights and having my mind thoroughly blown during spectacular shows after large solar flares.

Definitely impressed!

At the appointed time I looked up into the Alaska skies and saw only the sun shining brightly. Glad you could get photos like that.

I have friends in Evanston who drove to Niagra Falls in the hopes watching the celestial phenom but not sure if the predicted clouds cleared sufficiently to get to see the sun's corona ringing the moon. Regardless, just experiencing the earth turn dark in mid day would have to be a memorable experience in and of itself.

Ah, we get another chance in 20 some years. "We" being persons much younger than some of us.

Going to hit Nome for the 2033 eclipse???

Watched it from my home in SW Indiana. It was a perfect day until about a half an hour before totality, when clouds started blowing up from the south. Mercifully, they did not obstruct my view of the eclipse in any way. Where I was viewing it, totality lasted about a minute and a half less than on the line of maximum totality, but so very surreal to see a place I am most familiar with undergo such a grand metamorphosis. An albino deer even made an appearance. Incidentally, did anyone witness the bright dot at about 6 to 6:30 on the sun's corona. I was told that that was a comet. In 2017, I witnessed the eclipse on the line of maximum totality in KY, about 5 miles north of the TN border. I thought the sun coming out of totality was the most magnificent thing of that day. The sun poured out over the moon looking like white magma. It was as pure of white light as I have ever seen. August 2, 2027, there will be a total eclipse over the pyramids of Giza. Totality will last for six and a half minutes. I hope to go, hope you all can join me.

Last edited:
August 2, 2027, there will be a total eclipse over the pyramids of Giza. Totality will last for six and a half minutes. I hope to go, hope you all can join me.

My parents are big-time eclipse chasers and are planning to go to Iceland in 2026, but a six-minute eclipse over the pyramids sounds absolutely biblical.

Fabulous viewing here on the shores of Lake Erie in Fairview, Pa. Totality occurred at 3:18 pm, but it started at around 2:00 pm. It was so dark at 3:10 that the lights came on in the parking area in the lake access area about a half mile from our house. Thousands traveled to the Erie Pa area to watch. Never to be forgotten!:cool:
It must have been eery in Erie

• Love
Reactions: No Chores
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT