ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah Hicks

DkeCat

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
Dropped by ND for visiting other schools. Sounds like he will end up at Cal though - bummer.

Guess he's taken to heart that saying, "commit to a school, not a coach". Kinda wish more kids had the foresight to do that.

That's pretty easy to say when you don't have any "skin in the game." A coaching staff makes a huge difference in an athlete's experience; I think it's perfectly logical to commit to a coaching staff just as much as (if not more than) a school.

That's pretty easy to say when you don't have any "skin in the game." A coaching staff makes a huge difference in an athlete's experience; I think it's perfectly logical to commit to a coaching staff just as much as (if not more than) a school.
Certainly can't argue with you there, GCG. Having no skin in the game, my perspective is purely that of the fan. I just don't like to see all these examples of kids bouncing from one school to the next solely because of coaching changes, etc., as though the "school" part of the equation was incidental. I do realize, though, that this is a part of today's reality. Just the nostalgic old fart in me coming out, I guess . . . . .

Certainly can't argue with you there, GCG. Having no skin in the game, my perspective is purely that of the fan. I just don't like to see all these examples of kids bouncing from one school to the next solely because of coaching changes, etc., as though the "school" part of the equation was incidental. I do realize, though, that this is a part of today's reality. Just the nostalgic old fart in me coming out, I guess . . . . .

Not what I meant by that comment, sorry. Meant it from the recruits' perspective; for them, they will interact with the coaching staff much more throughout their college career than they ever would a professor or other school administrator. It's easy for us as fans to shout "commit to a school not a coach!" but we aren't the ones who might have to play under coaches we don't know or like.

I think one thing to remember is that this bouncing around is the exception more than the rule. It likely happens mostly with the high profile coaches and high profile institutions and then effects usually less than a quarter of a class.

Latest sounds like Les Miles to Cal, but still early

Even the fact that it's "still early" is a bit odd. With the timing of Dykes' firing, one would have thought Cal had a replacement lined up and ready to go.

Not what I meant by that comment, sorry. Meant it from the recruits' perspective; for them, they will interact with the coaching staff much more throughout their college career than they ever would a professor or other school administrator. It's easy for us as fans to shout "commit to a school not a coach!" but we aren't the ones who might have to play under coaches we don't know or like.
Add to that is the fact as much as we see value in NU, good educations can be gotten at a lot of places.

Add to that is the fact as much as we see value in NU, good educations can be gotten at a lot of places.

Yeah, the one question I always have is if NU can illustrate better support and environment for a good education. A motivated student will do well almost anywhere. I think NU must offer better cultural and administrative support but I don't know how they can prove it outside of the graduation rate which could simply be a result of higher admissions standards.

Yeah, the one question I always have is if NU can illustrate better support and environment for a good education. A motivated student will do well almost anywhere. I think NU must offer better cultural and administrative support but I don't know how they can prove it outside of the graduation rate which could simply be a result of higher admissions standards.

Players who are in for official visits (and often unofficial visitors) will typically meet with team academic counselors to outline exactly what you describe above, namely what sets NU apart. Fitz's presentations to recruits often center more on off-field elements of NU's program than on-field accolades, further reinforcing the points.

Even the fact that it's "still early" is a bit odd. With the timing of Dykes' firing, one would have thought Cal had a replacement lined up and ready to go.

Very fair point. And to prove how early, now cal is going after Chip Kelly and Jake Spavital - Miles again seemed to have lost favor.

Also interesting to see how much of a struggle Miles is having in getting another job. Seemed like those rumors and eccentricities are catching up with him.

When touring schools we were shown and/or told about various free and paid academic support opportunities. From tutoring to peer study groups to writing centers and math centers. There is also a place to help you with finding credible sources for papers or projects at a few of the colleges I visited.

Reactions: DkeCat
When touring schools we were shown and/or told about various free and paid academic support opportunities. From tutoring to peer study groups to writing centers and math centers. There is also a place to help you with finding credible sources for papers or projects at a few of the colleges I visited.

The problem you have is that many, if not all, schools have the same programs. Its really in how well they work is the difference, which is a lot more difficult to quantify and use in recruiting

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
The problem you have is that many, if not all, schools have the same programs. Its really in how well they work is the difference, which is a lot more difficult to quantify and use in recruiting
Yeah without a visit all the stuff seems the same but when you get shown the different programs you begin to tell which ones actually help or not just by how they're organized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT