ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN "Top 25" Rankings released: OSU #1, PSU #5

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
The "Post Spring Game" ESPN May 1st "Way too early rankings" had OSU #1. I didn't know but Kevin Wilson popped up there as the new Offensive Coordinator. A great grab for Meyer to enhance his product after his previous Offensive Coordinator wasn't productive at playoff level. Wilson is a gem of a find for OSU.

As far as NU, I felt that we deserved consideration but they left us off the list...as always and that's fine with me. As a fan I like the excitement of sneaking up on peeps. The early PSU game should be electrifying as Fitz has never lost to Franklin but we are sure to be 5 pt dogs at this point. Prolly a night game. Evanston will be popping!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...place-alabama-crimson-tide-post-spring-top-25

Oops. Yes. He was from NJ. Ridiculous story.
Everything about Ped State makes me sick, including coach snake oil

It's one thing to dislike a team or university because of arrogance or player/coach shenanigans, quite another to have an entire university community in denial about rape and murder.

dOSU lowers the bar. ped state smashes the bar into a million pieces. I'd much rather keep Rutgers in the B1G with all of their hilarity than Ped State

Last edited:

It's one thing to dislike a team or university because of arrogance or player/coach shenanigans, quite another to have an entire university community in denial about rape and murder.

dOSU lowers the bar. ped state smashes the bar into a million pieces. I'd much rather keep Rutgers in the B1G with all of their hilarity than Ped State

While the actions of the PSU administration and some prominent alumni sicken me, I can't say the entire community is in denial. Thousands of students turned their backs and booed when Paterno was honored at a game last fall, and there have been several scathing and well written editorials in the student newspaper damning the schools response to Paterno/Sandusky Gate. In no way does it make the situation better, but it does show that at least some people associated with PSU have disgust.

While the actions of the PSU administration and some prominent alumni sicken me, I can't say the entire community is in denial. Thousands of students turned their backs and booed when Paterno was honored at a game last fall, and there have been several scathing and well written editorials in the student newspaper damning the schools response to Paterno/Sandusky Gate. In no way does it make the situation better, but it does show that at least some people associated with PSU have disgust.
Are there any Pederno statues still? Those should be removed if there are any.

I am finding it too easy to hate Penn State in recent years. I know it is not fair, but the place just seems like it is rotten to the core.

Only if we get to actually play them.

The "Post Spring Game" ESPN May 1st "Way too early rankings" had OSU #1. I didn't know but Kevin Wilson popped up there as the new Offensive Coordinator. A great grab for Meyer to enhance his product after his previous Offensive Coordinator wasn't productive at playoff level. Wilson is a gem of a find for OSU.

As far as NU, I felt that we deserved consideration but they left us off the list...as always and that's fine with me. As a fan I like the excitement of sneaking up on peeps. The early PSU game should be electrifying as Fitz has never lost to Franklin but we are sure to be 5 pt dogs at this point. Prolly a night game. Evanston will be popping!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...place-alabama-crimson-tide-post-spring-top-25
An interesting little subplot in there. Two Duke defensive linemen transferred to USF and sat out a year. That is unusual.

An interesting little subplot in there. Two Duke defensive linemen transferred to USF and sat out a year. That is unusual.

Why? It isn't unusual for players to drop down slightly in search of playing time. Both are also originally from the southeast. Charlie Strong is trying to build up his depth chart quickly.

Why? It isn't unusual for players to drop down slightly in search of playing time. Both are also originally from the southeast. Charlie Strong is trying to build up his depth chart quickly.

Drop down? USF is ranked #19 in that poll. They have a better FB program than Duke and Strong will probably do well there.

Unusual to move from Duke probably as the degree is worth a lot more than the USF degree. But changing schools for playing time, not that unusual.

Unusual to move from Duke probably as the degree is worth a lot more than the USF degree. But changing schools for playing time, not that unusual.

Charlie Strong will do very well there IMO.

lol. I thought you had a fair question as well until I noticed the ranking as well. UCF #19th? Is that a bit high?

Well, they finished last season ranked 19th so not really a surprise. They have their QB returning and a RB who gained almost 1,200 yards, so they should be good again.

Well, they finished last season ranked 19th so not really a surprise. They have their QB returning and a RB who gained almost 1,200 yards, so they should be good again.

The coaching turnover also plays a role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT