ADVERTISEMENT

ETHS' Nojel Eastern

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
During the season, especially during the Fall, there were many posts about ETHS' Nojel Eastern, who had an NU offer among many. He ended up choosing Purdue. He finished 2nd in the IL Mr. Basketball balloting to another NU offeree (still uncommitted) Mark Smith. I wonder if there is "consensus" on Nojel's reasons to turn down NU, particularly considering that NU has been competitive in the B1G for years, and seems to in the up swing recently.

During the season, especially during the Fall, there were many posts about ETHS' Nojel Eastern, who had an NU offer among many. He ended up choosing Purdue. He finished 2nd in the IL Mr. Basketball balloting to another NU offeree (still uncommitted) Mark Smith. I wonder if there is "consensus" on Nojel's reasons to turn down NU, particularly considering that NU has been competitive in the B1G for years, and seems to in the up swing recently.

Eastern was not an academic fit for NU. That is the consensus.

With respect, Max Power, the primary driver was likely his desire to have a college experience away from home.

Had he wanted to be an academic fit for NU, he could have taken those steps. He chose not to.

He's a good kid, bright and well liked.

What is the basis for your statement? Grades, SAT?
Apparently his behavior was OK, best I can tell.

Anyway, do you mean that the coaches erred in offering him a schoollie or that it is false he got an NU offer?

14,240 >> 6,800

mackey-arena.jpg

With respect, Max Power, the primary driver was likely his desire to have a college experience away from home.
Might be...although living in a NU dorm and living 2.5 hours away in a PU dorm may both qualify (or not) as away from home. It depends on perspective, I guess.

Also - stop worrying about recruits who don't choose NU or at least wait three years and google them before determining it is relevant.

NU offered correct, so it must not have been grades. Maybe size does matter.

He was not an academic fit. I haveheard nothing but good things about him. I have no idea about academics or test scores or how bright he is - all I heard was he was not an academic fit for NU.

Last edited:
I saw Nojel Eastern play in his junior season. He is not a point guard. He did not take over a tight game where Evanston lost to a team which much less athletic talented. Eastern will not be playing PG at Purdue where they have a talented PG in Carson Edwards with 3 years of eligibility left. In the game I saw him play he lacked the athletic explosiveness to take over a game with another Central League squad. Now my analysis means that there was not much of a story there but that means you will soon issue 20-30 posts on a topic which was decided months ago.

Also, PU coach, Matt Painter is the genius who thought his team could run with KU. And that is why you lose by 30 points.

He was not an academic fit. I have no idea about academics or test scores or how bright he is - all I heard was he was not an academic fit for NU.
I don't dispute your statement. Nevertheless, some sites report that he got a NU scholarship offer. Do you believe he did NOT get the offer, or think it was a mistake for NU to offer him?

I don't dispute your statement. Nevertheless, some sites report that he got a NU scholarship offer. Do you believe he did NOT get the offer, or think it was a mistake for NU to offer him?

My understanding based solely on internet chatter is that NU had certain benchmarks he had to reach and he decided not to try to reach them somewhere along the way.

I believe it is irrelevant. NU offered a lot of guys. Eastern chose to go elsewhere. So next topic. As I have mentioned and made clear, Eastern did not put his team on his shoulders in the game that I saw him play against a less talented squad. That is not a good sign when projecting contributions on a Big 10 caliber level. From the video, I have seen of 6'4"-6'5" Anthony Gaines, he has a more physical or muscular body than Eastern. All schools make offers and 18-19 year old kids make decisions for their own reasons. No story, but keep trying. I have predicted 18 more posts by you in this moot topic.

I believe it is irrelevant. NNo story, but keep trying. I have predicted 18 more posts by you in this moot topic.
Funny that you keep both following and posting to this 'irrelevant' and 'moot' thread. Like it bothers you that others talk about this. Simply stop yourself, and let others participate if they choose to do so. No one is forcing you or anybody else to read or write about this topic.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Might be...although living in a NU dorm and living 2.5 hours away in a PU dorm may both qualify (or not) as away from home. It depends on perspective, I guess.

Your post reminds me of the George Burns line...."it may rain tonight, or not, depending on the weather."

Reactions: NJCat
I saw Nojel Eastern play in his junior season. He is not a point guard. He did not take over a tight game where Evanston lost to a team which much less athletic talented. Eastern will not be playing PG at Purdue where they have a talented PG in Carson Edwards with 3 years of eligibility left. In the game I saw him play he lacked the athletic explosiveness to take over a game with another Central League squad. Now my analysis means that there was not much of a story there but that means you will soon issue 20-30 posts on a topic which was decided months ago.

Also, PU coach, Matt Painter is the genius who thought his team could run with KU. And that is why you lose by 30 points.

After talking with fellow hoops experts I came to the conclusion we dodged a bullet. He's not a point guard and I think we can do better at the 2. I'm sure he will start and do well at Purdue but I prefer a better ball handler at the 1.

Totally agree with Yesterdays Cat that we dodged a bullet. But disagree that Eastern will start at Purdue because they have a talented freshman PG in Carson Edwards and Junior SG Dakota Mathias starting next season. They have backup Soph. SG Ryan Cline who has seen a lot of minutes in his first 2 seasons at Purdue and PJ Thompson as the backup PG. So I don't see Eastern starting at PG or SG in at least his first 2 seasons at PU.

Totally agree with Yesterdays Cat that we dodged a bullet. But disagree that Eastern will start at Purdue because they have a talented freshman PG in Carson Edwards and Junior SG Dakota Mathias starting next season. They have backup Soph. SG Ryan Cline who has seen a lot of minutes in his first 2 seasons at Purdue and PJ Thompson as the backup PG. So I don't see Eastern starting at PG or SG in at least his first 2 seasons at PU.

Start eventually, I should have said. He's not a one-and-done candidate except in his own mind but he will start down the line.

Also - stop worrying about recruits who don't choose NU or at least wait three years and google them before determining it is relevant.

He was not an academic fit. I haveheard nothing but good things about him. I have no idea about academics or test scores or how bright he is - all I heard was he was not an academic fit for NU.
He wanted to go into Aerospace Engineering?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT