ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING EXCLUSIVE: Northwestern Quarterback Camp Report

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
The quarterback camp Northwestern held on Friday was big -- much bigger than I thought it would be, anyway. There were 30 quarterbacks there, ranging from the Class of 2022 to the Class of 2025, one source told me. The primary focus for the program was no doubt finding a 2022 quarterback, but they were looking far beyond this class, too.

I have learned of four 2022 quarterback who were there: two we knew about -- Bert Emanuel Jr. and Davin Wydner -- and two we didn't -- Tanner Murray and AJ Simpkins.

One parent said that the prospects threw for coaches and then they went into a classroom and broke down their own film with offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian. They discussed things like coverage recognition, and Bajakian offered pointers about how they can improve their game in the upcoming season.

Bajakian told all of the campers up front that they wouldn't offer any prospects on Friday. The focus was on having fun and taking away at least one thing that could help them in the upcoming season. He also explained Northwestern's recruiting process, which is slower and more targeted than how other programs recruit.

Coaches told the 2022 prospects that they would review Friday's film and reach out to them to continue their conversations. Will any offers come out of it? We'll see. Of the four 2022 QBs that we know about, Wydner is the only one with any reported Power Five offers (he has three: from Georgia Tech, Maryland and Pittsburgh). The rest have an assortment of Group of Five or FCS offers.

But Friday was also an opportunity to show off the program to future QB prospects. One parent said he was "blown away" by Northwestern's campus and the Walter Athletics Center, and he was impressed by the coaching staff and the entire camp operation.

Look for follow-up stories to come on WildcatReport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News