ADVERTISEMENT

EXCLUSIVE: NU exploring all options for 2024 home football schedule

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021

With less than seven months until the start of the 2024 season, Northwestern is still working to sign contracts for venues after its home schedule was disrupted by the rebuild of Ryan Field. @lou v and I report on what we've learned from a source close to the scheduling process, the possibilities of a Lambeau game in 2024 and 2025, and more surrounding Northwestern's efforts to lock in their home schedule away from home this season.

With less than seven months until the start of the 2024 season, Northwestern is still working to sign contracts for venues after its home schedule was disrupted by the rebuild of Ryan Field. @lou v and I report on what we've learned from a source close to the scheduling process, the possibilities of a Lambeau game in 2024 and 2025, and more surrounding Northwestern's efforts to lock in their home schedule away from home this season.
Great reporting, gents.

What’s interesting (annoying) to me is that NU seems to be *surprised* that there is congestion on certain dates. NU has generally known about the stadium issue for two years. It seems they were not proactive about closing off certain home weekends.

Even in minor league baseball scheduling, we were able to block several weeks or weekends a year. 20 years ago, we sent those requests to the league via fax.

Interesting that Murphy called NU, and not the other way around. Recruiting off of a 2025 home game at Lambeau seems to be a good pitch. Play it in a half-empty stadium against Oregon. Seems like Gragg buried the lede when mentioning a ‘home game’ at Lambeau. Two home games — one basically a neutral site game — hurts less, I think. A game in Cleveland against USC or Indianapolis against UCLA would be great too.

Was there any discussion at all of DeKalb, or even Western or Eastern Illinois?

2024 NIU Schedule for conflict reference

2024 ND Schedule for conflict reference

2024 U of I Schedule for conflict reference. They have too many conflicting dates

What’s interesting (annoying) to me is that NU seems to be *surprised* that there is congestion on certain dates
This reminds of when you used to have to get a toll booth ticket, and as you approached the exit booth to pay. I'd have my money and ticket in hand, and I'd invariably get behind a guy that would get to the booth, open the window and stare blankly at the attendant. Then he'd thrash around trying to find the ticket, give it to the attendant, wallet still firmly in pocket. And so on.

Really helpful article, thanks Lou and Matt. This provides a lot of useful context on the current status. It seems like they are woefully behind the chains in terms of timing on this process, but what do we expect from Gragg. As I noted in another article, KU has managed to secure 4 "home" dates at Arrowhead (Chiefs) while their stadium is under renovation ahead of the NFL schedule being finalized. As another poster wrote, seems like we waited way too long and now - shocker!? - these stadiums have a bunch of conflicts or potential conflicts.

I second the suggestion of DeKalb (NIU) as an option. It's certainly not ideal at 1hrs 30 min drive from campus, but it seats 24k and from what I've heard about SeatGeek is probably a better quality experience. You'd lose all the potential casual attendees from the city (younger folks who can take public transport) vs. SeatGeek. But it's a very doable round trip drive for anyone coming from the city or northern suburbs. Could be a backup option for when Soldier doesn't work and while it's too early to use the baseball stadiums. Better that than Lambeau for the UW game - sure it's close to Madison and they will invade there too, but at least in a 24k seat stadium with free buses provided for students + NUMB coming we can hopefully get 10-12k or more NU fans and make it 50/50 so equivalent to neutral site.

I'm a fan of a higher profile game at Lambeau in 2025 against Michigan or Oregon. Just please don't have us sell out to play a de facto road game against Wisconsin there.

Reactions: epicbret
Pearl Jam recently announced they'll be playing Wrigley Field the night of August 31st, so that option is totally unavailable for the Miami game now.

I wonder if they start looking at Martin Stadium (lacrosse/soccer) for some games. They'd probably have to upgrade the press box and do some other facility work, but at least it would be available, on-campus, filled with NU fans, and a pretty cool setting.

Pearl Jam recently announced they'll be playing Wrigley Field the night of August 31st, so that option is totally unavailable for the Miami game now.

I wonder if they start looking at Martin Stadium (lacrosse/soccer) for some games. They'd probably have to upgrade the press box and do some other facility work, but at least it would be available, on-campus, filled with NU fans, and a pretty cool setting.
I've not been there, but if they can safely seat 10k people with temporary seats, I'm in

For the INDIANA game (an INDIANA fan here) why not just play it as your Home game down at IU's stadium... You get the gate ($$$) and home uniforms, etc...

It's not as though IU has even close to anything resembling a home field advantage even for our actual Home games so there's really no downside to it... (we've got about 20,000 serious fans, the rest show up for a half and then resume their tailgating [if they bother to come inside at all]...).

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind is looking forward to parking and walking to a soccer stadium on the south side of Chicago...
Literally anywhere would seemingly be a better venue... Did they check with Lucas Oil in Indianapolis? (If they just can't bring themselves to play in Bloomington)

Reactions: 2388bb
Truly, the worst part about all this is the less-than-zero confidence we have in our current leadership...which leads to so much doubt about this all being "unavoidable," as I am sure they would like us to believe...which may be the case...I just find myself not even believing them when they tell me what day it is and then show me a calendar.

At some point, a conversation was had behind closed doors and a decision was basically made, "let's not communicate anything to the public until we have everything finalized..." and now here we are, another brick in the impenetrable fortress of "these guys are really bad at...welp...every aspect of their jobs."

I deeply hope (as I realize we all do) Braun & Co. can deliver another solid season and keep interest in the program high, even though our strength of schedule that goes up by about 10,000% What a story it would be that the Wildcats are roving assassins, taking out big opponents at baseball and soccer stadiums on an alternating basis.

Great reporting, gents.

What’s interesting (annoying) to me is that NU seems to be *surprised* that there is congestion on certain dates. NU has generally known about the stadium issue for two years. It seems they were not proactive about closing off certain home weekends.

Even in minor league baseball scheduling, we were able to block several weeks or weekends a year. 20 years ago, we sent those requests to the league via fax.

Interesting that Murphy called NU, and not the other way around. Recruiting off of a 2025 home game at Lambeau seems to be a good pitch. Play it in a half-empty stadium against Oregon. Seems like Gragg buried the lede when mentioning a ‘home game’ at Lambeau. Two home games — one basically a neutral site game — hurts less, I think. A game in Cleveland against USC or Indianapolis against UCLA would be great too.

Was there any discussion at all of DeKalb, or even Western or Eastern Illinois?
I would LOVE games at Lambeau. My home field as a teenager, and that goes back away. If NU can beat UW at Camp Randall, they can beat them at Lambeau. I WILL BE THERE.

Truly, the worst part about all this is the less-than-zero confidence we have in our current leadership...which leads to so much doubt about this all being "unavoidable," as I am sure they would like us to believe...which may be the case...I just find myself not even believing them when they tell me what day it is and then show me a calendar.

At some point, a conversation was had behind closed doors and a decision was basically made, "let's not communicate anything to the public until we have everything finalized..." and now here we are, another brick in the impenetrable fortress of "these guys are really bad at...welp...every aspect of their jobs."

I deeply hope (as I realize we all do) Braun & Co. can deliver another solid season and keep interest in the program high, even though our strength of schedule that goes up by about 10,000% What a story it would be that the Wildcats are roving assassins, taking out big opponents at baseball and soccer stadiums on an alternating basis.
It was avoidable. We’ve known this was coming for years.

If a company or agency is making major capital improvements on a property, they make plans ahead of time for where occupants and/or activities associated with the facility will be during renovations. If they need alternative commercial space or residential space, they are basically doing a market assessment of alternatives ahead of time to support business continuity during the capital project. This renovation was not some unforeseen disaster that should prompt a scramble to find place to hold football games or other events. If they knew there was a possibility that University Library would have to be shut down for 2 years, I'm sure they would find an alternative to keep library resources accessible.

While it is interesting to see possibilities of where the Wildcats might play in Fall 2024, it it is actually embarrassing to be caught off guard without contingency plans, especially where it not only affects the team, but fans and supporters of Northwestern and the opposing teams who might have or are planning to come to the games and other thing that are pegged off football like Homecoming. Somewhere between Athletics and Facilities, somebody or some group of people in Administration dropped the ball.

I suppose if they have to go to Lambeau or Lucas Stadium or Ohio Stadium or whatever, then that's how it will have to be at this point but really, the contingency plans should have already been in place (for ideally close-to-home solutions) and it should have been a matter of executing the contracts once it was clear the demolition was moving forth.

If a company or agency is making major capital improvements on a property, they make plans ahead of time for where occupants and/or activities associated with the facility will be during renovations. If they need alternative commercial space or residential space, they are basically doing a market assessment of alternatives ahead of time to support business continuity during the capital project. This renovation was not some unforeseen disaster that should prompt a scramble to find place to hold football games or other events. If they knew there was a possibility that University Library would have to be shut down for 2 years, I'm sure they would find an alternative to keep library resources accessible.

While it is interesting to see possibilities of where the Wildcats might play in Fall 2024, it it is actually embarrassing to be caught off guard without contingency plans, especially where it not only affects the team, but fans and supporters of Northwestern and the opposing teams who might have or are planning to come to the games and other thing that are pegged off football like Homecoming. Somewhere between Athletics and Facilities, somebody or some group of people in Administration dropped the ball.

I suppose if they have to go to Lambeau or Lucas Stadium or Ohio Stadium or whatever, then that's how it will have to be at this point but really, the contingency plans should have already been in place (for ideally close-to-home solutions) and it should have been a matter of executing the contracts once it was clear the demolition was moving forth.
It’s called professional marketing and project management. Couldn’t agree more with your assessment. I can’t fathom why the athletic department wasn’t capable enough to have seen this coming.

It’s called professional marketing and project management. Couldn’t agree more with your assessment. I can’t fathom why the athletic department wasn’t capable enough to have seen this coming.
That’s right. The article says the process is so complicated — but it wouldn’t have been with proper planning.

Note that the Fargodome would be available for the season opener.

Amazing that the Cats didn’t work with the Bears and the NFL to guarantee Soldier Field availability on September 7 and September 14, whether via the Bears opening with two consecutive road games, or a Monday or Thursday home game. (It would seem that every possible combination — NU on a Thursday or Friday, or the Bears on a Thursday or a Monday — would allow at least one day for between-game field prep.)

That’s right. The article says the process is so complicated — but it wouldn’t have been with proper planning.

Note that the Fargodome would be available for the season opener.

Amazing that the Cats didn’t work with the Bears and the NFL to guarantee Soldier Field availability on September 7 and September 14, whether via the Bears opening with two consecutive road games, or a Monday or Thursday home game. (It would seem that every possible combination — NU on a Thursday or Friday, or the Bears on a Thursday or a Monday — would allow at least one day for between-game field prep.)
This season was always going to require an imperfect solution. In addition to the logistical side, the athletic department needed to both create ticket holder buy in and to manage expectations. By not getting out in front of it, they did neither.

If a company or agency is making major capital improvements on a property, they make plans ahead of time for where occupants and/or activities associated with the facility will be during renovations. If they need alternative commercial space or residential space, they are basically doing a market assessment of alternatives ahead of time to support business continuity during the capital project.
Actually, I have a case study for you where they apparently haven't done this at all...

Reactions: Hkjb and Zootcat
I suppose if they have to go to Lambeau or Lucas Stadium or Ohio Stadium or whatever, then that's how it will have to be at this point
The thing is, they won't. I think our home fan attendance will be pitiful, whereas the visiting fans will be like woohoo

Why doesn't the university explore temporary stadium seating as an option on one of the practice fields on the lake. These can be high quality and are frequently used for festivals, F1 races, or even the Waste Management Open in Phoenix. It would be student and fan friendly and something that NU can control without worrying about available dates at alternatives off campus.

Why doesn't the university explore temporary stadium seating as an option on one of the practice fields on the lake. These can be high quality and are frequently used for festivals, F1 races, or even the Waste Management Open in Phoenix. It would be student and fan friendly and something that NU can control without worrying about available dates at alternatives off campus.
Love this idea but not sure about parking. Haven't been over there

Good point! I didn't think about parking so you are correct that it may not be feasible without a busing requirement and plan. But my broader suggestion is for the administration to get creative and explore alternate game day experiences that NU can control and maybe even turn into something unique for a couple years. 10,000 temporary stadium seating, large screen outside for more patrons (like Wimbledon and other events), bands and mini-events post game (shoot, it could be done as a fundraiser for the new stadium). Basically, look beyond the obvious, which isn't seeming to be a good solution anyway. Additionally, this would only be for 2-3 game weeks with no current known alternatives or options that essentially lockout students and some fans because of distance (Lambeau), cost (Wrigley, Lambeau presumably) or availability of anything. But thanks for the legitimate concerns and feedback.

Reactions: winnetkat
2024 NIU Schedule for conflict reference

2024 ND Schedule for conflict reference

2024 U of I Schedule for conflict reference. They have too many conflicting dates

I don’t think we should count on another college program to save our asses. Much more feasible to think about indoor, artificial surface NFL venues like Ford Field in Detroit or Lucas Oil in Indianapolis.

Wrigley isn’t an option during the baseball season due to the amount of field turnover required to host a football game.

Martin Stadium is a non-starter.

Reactions: Hkjb
For the INDIANA game (an INDIANA fan here) why not just play it as your Home game down at IU's stadium... You get the gate ($$$) and home uniforms, etc...

It's not as though IU has even close to anything resembling a home field advantage even for our actual Home games so there's really no downside to it... (we've got about 20,000 serious fans, the rest show up for a half and then resume their tailgating [if they bother to come inside at all]...).

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind is looking forward to parking and walking to a soccer stadium on the south side of Chicago...
Literally anywhere would seemingly be a better venue... Did they check with Lucas Oil in Indianapolis? (If they just can't bring themselves to play in Bloomington)

Because giving away a home game to your opponent is dumb enough when you do so at a neutral site, dumber yet when you do it at their home stadium.

Because there’s no room and the transportation logistics are prohibitive.

Just play the EIU game on the road.

For what it’s worth, if NU football finds itself playing home games AT opponent venues because they just couldn’t figure out where to play, that failure would strike me as a fireable offense for Gragg.

I’m sure they’ll figure something out, but actually I’m not sure.

Pretty terrible.

Reactions: zanycat
Because giving away a home game to your opponent is dumb enough when you do so at a neutral site, dumber yet when you do it at their home stadium.
Ok, pretty sure he was just trying to make a joke.
But, as our daughter graduated from IU a few years ago I can tell you most/all of which he says is true. I used to get pissed at the other parents and older IU alums who at while at a tailgate basically bragged about how they never went into the games.
Course the same people acted as if the IU basketball team could beat a pro team…

Just play the EIU game on the road.

For what it’s worth, if NU football finds itself playing home games AT opponent venues because they just couldn’t figure out where to play, that failure would strike me as a fireable offense for Gragg.

I’m sure they’ll figure something out, but actually I’m not sure.

Pretty terrible.
Gagg is fire proof. He will be AD after we are dead

Christmas is on December 25th this year. Pass it on to the Wildcat front office.

While it sure seems like the athletic department screwed the pooch on this one, how much are they hamstrung by the manner and timing of the schedules being released?

I think we know our opponents for next year, but not the dates yet. I can imagine it would be difficult for both the team and any venue to block out dates to accommodate the Cats until the actual dates are known.

Reactions: Hkjb
While it sure seems like the athletic department screwed the pooch on this one, how much are they hamstrung by the manner and timing of the schedules being released?

I think we know our opponents for next year, but not the dates yet. I can imagine it would be difficult for both the team and any venue to block out dates to accommodate the Cats until the actual dates are known.
And yet, Kansas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT