ADVERTISEMENT

Facilities rankings

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS (NO. 13; +12 SPOTS)

Where Northwestern ranked in 2018: N/R

Northwestern made a monumental leap in 2021 and continues to hang around the top 15 in 2024 thanks to a practice facility that is, undoubtedly, college football's most majestic. Standing outside of Northwestern's 450,000-square football facility on the shores of Lake Michigan, you'd think this was college football's Mecca — not a program that's itching to break into the realm of being a consistent threat. There was almost instantaneous criticism over Northwestern's quarter-billion dollar project that serves only a tiny percentage of Northwestern's student body, but the noise has quieted since.

Not sure if they're aware that the Palace by the Lake is open to use by other sports, but still, a small fraction of the student body.

Wish the lockerroom design was a bit more modern/sleek and more in line with the rest of the facility.

Reactions: ricko654321

Northwestern made a monumental leap in 2021 and continues to hang around the top 15 in 2024 thanks to a practice facility that is, undoubtedly, college football's most majestic. Standing outside of Northwestern's 450,000-square football facility on the shores of Lake Michigan, you'd think this was college football's Mecca — not a program that's itching to break into the realm of being a consistent threat. There was almost instantaneous criticism over Northwestern's quarter-billion dollar project that serves only a tiny percentage of Northwestern's student body, but the noise has quieted since.

Not sure if they're aware that the Palace by the Lake is open to use by other sports, but still, a small fraction of the student body.

Wish the lockerroom design was a bit more modern/sleek and more in line with the rest of the facility.
Top 15? Should be top 1.

Unless they are counting the stadium, in which case we will be #1 in a couple of years. Or maybe even this fall.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Top 15? Should be top 1.

Unless they are counting the stadium, in which case we will be #1 in a couple of years. Or maybe even this fall.
If the Phoenix Open is the model for this fall as reporting indicates, the south practice field should be set up Top Golf style so folks can fire drives off into the lake, kinda like the 5th tee at Waveland.

I am assuming they will have Wildcat Alley located there as well as all these Ravinia-style (dare I say) fripperies. I think certain facilities rankings would go sky high with a Top Golf plan. Might cut into second half attendance, tho..

The facility also houses lacrosse, soccer, and plenty of other sports. Football has a separate weight room, but there’s another accessible to other sports. Also houses a student workout facility and pool.

If the Phoenix Open is the model for this fall as reporting indicates, the south practice field should be set up Top Golf style so folks can fire drives off into the lake, kinda like the 5th tee at Waveland.

I am assuming they will have Wildcat Alley located there as well as all these Ravinia-style (dare I say) fripperies. I think certain facilities rankings would go sky high with a Top Golf plan. Might cut into second half attendance, tho..

That field is supposedly going to be set up for “tailgating,” which I assume will be more “pay a lot of money to rent a table, pop up tent, and a garbage bag.”

Top 15? Should be top 1.

The view can only account for so much.

There are other facilities that have significantly nicer weight rooms, locker rooms, players' lounge, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT