ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Fitz. Hire Kafka

You’d be stupid not to make that trade. Unfortunately Kafka has no reason to take this job. He’s a rising star in the NFL
Honest question, is there that much more coaching money or prestige in the NFL these days compared to well paying P5 jobs?

The Giants atmosphere is electric right now. They’re up 27-20 after a comeback against the Packers and will likely be 4-1. Kafka’s playcalling has a lot to do with it.

Meanwhile Evanston is a factory of sadness. I’m sure Kafka would say “no thanks” and stick to the NFL.

Honest question, is there that much more coaching money or prestige in the NFL these days compared to well paying P5 jobs?
Probably not. But in the NFL you don't have to suck up to 17 and 18-year old kids to attempt to recruit them. And you can cut underperforming players.

The NFL is a much better gig.

Reactions: drewjin
Hung around post game listening to everybody praising the Giants. They mentioned the HC. They mentioned the DC. They mentioned the stars on O. But somehow the OC didn't get a single mention.

Before Big Mike showed up, Jones looked like a bust, Saquan looked like he was gonna spend his career on the IL and the Giants O didn't scare anybody. Today, for a lot of the game, they ran over the Packers, Jones looked like a star, Saquan ran like he always expected to run. IMHO, the Giants O knows Big Mike can make winners out of everybody and they can hardly wait to get back on the field to show how good they are. Huge statement by Big Mike. All the football world took notice, even though his performance somehow eluded the sportscasters.

Hung around post game listening to everybody praising the Giants. They mentioned the HC. They mentioned the DC. They mentioned the stars on O. But somehow the OC didn't get a single mention.

Before Big Mike showed up, Jones looked like a bust, Saquan looked like he was gonna spend his career on the IL and the Giants O didn't scare anybody. Today, for a lot of the game, they ran over the Packers, Jones looked like a star, Saquan ran like he always expected to run. IMHO, the Giants O knows Big Mike can make winners out of everybody and they can hardly wait to get back on the field to show how good they are. Huge statement by Big Mike. All the football world took notice, even though his performance somehow eluded the sportscasters.
As an offensive minded head coach, Dabol is going to get all the credit for now.

The Giants atmosphere is electric right now. They’re up 27-20 after a comeback against the Packers and will likely be 4-1. Kafka’s playcalling has a lot to do with it.

Meanwhile Evanston is a factory of sadness. I’m sure Kafka would say “no thanks” and stick to the NFL.
Mike beat the BEars 🐻 last week too!

Now is not the time to fire Fitz. He needs to be requested (ordered) to make certain significant changes before the end of this season, and given two years to see them out. "Changes before the end of this season" trumps "two more years of Fitz."

Factory of sadness. Great line. I think I'll steal it.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Now is not the time to fire Fitz. He needs to be requested (ordered) to make certain significant changes before the end of this season, and given two years to see them out. "Changes before the end of this season" trumps "two more years of Fitz."
So, after observing this year's results, when will it be "the time"?

So, after observing this year's results, when will it be "the time"?
Even though I said two years, given major changes before this is totally out of control, it's obviously not any of us armchair coach's call. I just believe, Fitz has done so much for NU Football, he deserves the respect to have the chance to correct at least one big blunder and turn the program around.

Even though I said two years, given major changes before this is totally out of control, it's obviously not any of us armchair coach's call. I just believe, Fitz has done so much for NU Football, he deserves the respect to have the chance to correct at least one big blunder and turn the program around.
That’s where I’m at too.

The Ravens are at the Giants today. I am really anxious to watch this game because I expect to see another week of polish on what we saw last week from Big Mike and the Giants' O. Dan and Saquan must feel like they've been reborn. St. Lamarr is always fun to watch, too. Should be a great game. Great that it's nationally broadcast, but at the same the the Niners play - must record both. Speaking of hot coordinators, check our DeMeco Ryans, DC of the Forty Niners - gonna be a HC soon.

Last edited:
By when, tho?

Reactions: drewjin
What about 2? Or 3? What his OCs don’t count?

Reactions: IGNORE2
Kafka's name is being thrown around by the press for the Carolina job, but think he'll end up w/ the Giants for another season.

Interesting that Kafka was on the short list for the Eagles opening for a time before they moved on.

Kafka will get his shot soon, hopefully he picks a good situation with a team on the rise. No sense in getting the horse shot out from under him by joining a team ready for blowing up

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Kafka will get his shot soon, hopefully he picks a good situation with a team on the rise. No sense in getting the horse shot out from under him by joining a team ready for blowing up
If Carolina offers Kafka anything close to what Rhule got, he should take it. He will be financially set for life.

That being said, it’s still early and the Giants could suffer some injuries to fall apart. But we can all agree that Kafka’s move from KC to the Giants was a winning one. He’s out of both Reid and Bienemy’s shadows and shining.

Factory of sadness. Great line. I think I'll steal it.
For what it’s worth, my wife came back from Cleveland a few years ago with a t-shirt declaring Paul Brown Stadium The Factory of Sadness. F’real.
If Fitz’ reported/rumored $5 million salary is true, he is making more than the head coach 10 miles south (Eberflus - $4.5 million) this season, and Fitz gets to keep his job no matter the performance.

No way Kafka comes back. Coaching college football sucks. (Better than painting houses or working in warehouse, but worse than coaching in the pros.)

For what it’s worth, my wife came back from Cleveland a few years ago with a t-shirt declaring Paul Brown Stadium The Factory of Sadness. F’real.

If Fitz’ reported/rumored $5 million salary is true, he is making more than the head coach 10 miles south (Eberflus - $4.5 million) this season, and Fitz gets to keep his job no matter the performance.

No way Kafka comes back. Coaching college football sucks. (Better than painting houses or working in warehouse, but worse than coaching in the pros.)
Paul Brown Stadium is in Cincinnati and that description was pretty accurate until last year. Now it's the house of Maybe, Possibly Hopeful, but Still Very Very Cautious.

Paul Brown Stadium is in Cincinnati and that description was pretty accurate until last year. Now it's the house of Maybe, Possibly Hopeful, but Still Very Very Cautious.
This is correct. Mea culpa.

Cleveland’s stadium is apparently anonymous, known to most as the Factory of Sadness.

I really hope he ultimately would choose college ball. Soon, and a return to his roots. A pipe dream, no doubt.
Actually Kafka is more credible as a football coach than Fitz was. Lets be real. Fitz fell into this situation through an unfortunate death and rallied a team around him. But in terms of coaching philosophy and scheme, all of Fitz has been on the job training. That's why he is so fragile because deep down he knows he's peaked.

1. He will not surround himself with talented people because they can threaten what he has. Hence friends and rejects. Unlike Saban who has no problem rehabbing coaches that he may face in the future. He may be restricted on who he can recruit (I call BS on that FYI) but there are NO restrictions on who he can hire as assistants. Top notch coaches who'd win here could write their own ticket. He has no coaching tree.

2. Scheme- What does Fitz "own" philosophically on offense, defense, or special teams? He doesn't have an offensive concept. Run the ball when you're traditionally undersized? The spread? Even on Defense its supposedly dominant linebacker play which as evaporated as of late. Special Teams- We have needed a kicking game since forever and it never gets addressed. HOW?

3. Adaptability- Here is an offensive set- Run-Run-Pass-Punt. Sound familiar? 4th down inside the opponents 50 yd line. Go for it. Never punt to pin a team deep. He gets out-coached by MAC and FCS coaches more often than not. He rarely knows when to go for two or how to manage a clock that has come back to bite us over and over.

He asked for a state of the art practice facility. He got it. He asked for a state of the art stadium. He is getting it.

We got the return of a losing culture and a refusal to improve. Therefore...

You can't bullshit your way out of maze of your own doing. Either you have what it takes or you don't.

false statement.

Coaching college football is a blast depending on your personality. If you love recruiting (selling), developing young men into better men, and having your Sundays free, then you’ll probably prefer college.

Coaching professional football is better if you just want to coach pure football at the highest level and purely as a business.

Having met them both, Fitz is more ideal for the college game and Kafka likely prefers the pros.

But maybe Kafka will give college a shot.

Where would we be without the psychologists on this board who can diagnose neuroses without even talking with the patient?
Where would we be with the coaches and athletic directors who know that things are fine with 'Fitz' without being inside the program? (see I can do it too) I stand behind points 1-3.

false statement.

Coaching college football is a blast depending on your personality. If you love recruiting (selling), developing young men into better men, and having your Sundays free, then you’ll probably prefer college.

Coaching professional football is better if you just want to coach pure football at the highest level and purely as a business.

Having met them both, Fitz is more ideal for the college game and Kafka likely prefers the pros.

But maybe Kafka will give college a shot.
"Having your Sunday's free"?? Didn't you say you played at NU for a year or 2? If so, you should know that no college coach has any Sunday's free during the season.

"Having your Sunday's free"?? Didn't you say you played at NU for a year or 2? If so, you should know that no college coach has any Sunday's free during the season.
Each program has a designated offday, or should. The coaches have to get family stuff done too. I forget if ours was Sunday or Mondays but it was one of those.

If a head coach wants a Sunday off, then he and the program can have it. The players shouldn’t practice much because they’ll be pretty beat up after a week of practice and then the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT