ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz could learn from Ryan Day

When you make a mistake you have to fix it. Fix it Pat. Please.
To channel MidvaleDave, "Fix it Pat fix it." As much as I am a critic of this hire, give O'Neil a couple more games to settle in. Much more than that without improvement and Fitz risks losing 12 years of defensive progress from a defense that was not much more than a sieve after Vanderlinden and before 2008 .

Reactions: StreamCat
We are inconsistent. This is not news. We do not nor have we ever really had the depth to "reload" year after year.

We lost our starting QB, our starting RB to injury and star defenders to graduation and to the first round of the NFL(!) And our DC of nearly ~15 years retired, while the OC heads into his second season. If you ran down these details without naming the team to any coach or fan, they'd say the team was in for an uphill climb.

O'Neill may be great or he may be a disaster, but I am very, very confident it's too soon to tell.

And yes, Saturday was a disaster. But I've been watching this team long enough to know absolutely anything can happen next.

We are inconsistent. This is not news. We do not nor have we ever really had the depth to "reload" year after year.

We lost our starting QB, our starting RB to injury and star defenders to graduation and to the first round of the NFL(!) And our DC of nearly ~15 years retired, while the OC heads into his second season. If you ran down these details without naming the team to any coach or fan, they'd say the team was in for an uphill climb.

O'Neill may be great or he may be a disaster, but I am very, very confident it's too soon to tell.

And yes, Saturday was a disaster. But I've been watching this team long enough to know absolutely anything can happen next.
I don’t care how many guys were lost from last year, giving up 313 yards in less than 20 minutes of football is completely unacceptable (I checked how many yards Duke had at the 10 minute mark if 2nd quarter). . It’s abundantly clear the guy is in way over his head.

I don’t care how many guys were lost from last year, giving up 313 yards in less than 20 minutes of football is completely unacceptable (I checked how many yards Duke had at the 10 minute mark if 2nd quarter). . It’s abundantly clear the guy is in way over his head.

It would be impossible to understate just how bad the defense was in the first quarter of this game. They were completely lost out there. O'Neil should be embarrassed.

I've been calling for JON to get fired, but it's just normal angry fan stuff. Of course we have to give him some time.

Folks who want McGarigle to take over should look at the linebacker play from the first quarter of the game. We need him to get these guys ready to play, not doing the play calling.

It would be impossible to understate just how bad the defense was in the first quarter of this game. They were completely lost out there. O'Neil should be embarrassed.

I've been calling for JON to get fired, but it's just normal angry fan stuff. Of course we have to give him some time.

Folks who want McGarigle to take over should look at the linebacker play from the first quarter of the game. We need him to get these guys ready to play, not doing the play calling.
The defense reminded me of the ILL game last year where they supposedly had like walk-on tight ends playing LB. It was a bunch of guys running around with no clue. that's what the first half looked like. Against Duke. Might be fixable, but a combination of less experienced plus possibly some less talented guys, and a new system might be responsible. But maybe, just maybe, he is not a good coach. It shouldn't take too long to find out. Nebraska and Rutgers are middle tier to lower tier teams this year. If we give up 450 ypg and 30ppg to those two - 6 weeks into the season, we have a deeper problem than new guys/system

Not to over-analyze (but hey, what else are we here for?!)...just noticed that O'Neill has spent the past ~12 years in the NFL.

Even though he has college coaching experience, I have always generally felt like coaches making this transition in either direction need a bit of an adjustment period to get used to the developmental differences with their "personnel." This is something, specifically, I think Charlie Weis never achieved on the college side of things. Let's hope O'Neill is different...but as a fan I'm willing to be patient. Do we have a choice?

Reactions: StreamCat
Not to over-analyze (but hey, what else are we here for?!)...just noticed that O'Neill has spent the past ~12 years in the NFL.

Even though he has college coaching experience, I have always generally felt like coaches making this transition in either direction need a bit of an adjustment period to get used to the developmental differences with their "personnel." This is something, specifically, I think Charlie Weis never achieved on the college side of things. Let's hope O'Neill is different...but as a fan I'm willing to be patient. Do we have a choice?
He's not half the man Charlie Weis is!!

Right. Just being able to hold a job in the NFL for that long is indicative that the guys that play for money think you add value.

Right. Just being able to hold a job in the NFL for that long is indicative that the guys that play for money think you add value.
Yeah...I mean I've been as critical as anyone when it comes to Fitz staying "local" with his coaching hires, but let's agree - it's not like O'Neill is some wild pitch out of nowhere - has college experience (including at NU), has DC experience at the NFL level - I vaguely recall Hank not engaging in recruiting at all - I'm sure Fitz liked the idea of bringing in a slightly younger DC who would be able to pitch in here and who has a resume that would turn heads. Only time will tell if it is a good pick, but I'm not ready to lose my mind three weeks into the season.

Sorry. You’re saying we *should* emulate Ohio State?

On the field, absoeffinglutely.

Off the field - they are our antithesis and we should remain the beacon of light in the shadow of their vulgar and toxic darkness.

Reactions: JournCat

Yes!!!!! Pro football is not the same game as college, but I repeat myself. It’s the only thing I know about football.

On the field, absoeffinglutely.

Off the field - they are our antithesis and we should remain the beacon of light in the shadow of their vulgar and toxic darkness.
On the field - we should not remain bacon light in the shadow of their vulgar porcine darkness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT