ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz to replace Freeman as the next ND Irish Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recognize that you are a non-lawyer but the fact is that you understand the situation far better than our friend IGNORE2. I really have trouble understanding a lot of his babbling, and I have tried a whole bunch of high exposure civil cases. Frankly, I'm tired of responding to him, and remain of the opinion that all cases will settle before anyone is deposed or written discovery is exchanged. Could be wrong, but we'll see.
I look forward to the resolution. I’m a babbler that held the second most jury verdicts one year before moving into a higher firm. They also did not appreciate my style, in general. But none of the partners had actually tried a case.

After some interesting success under a trusting partner, I was an ISMIS darling. Still not liked by most of the firm, but untouchable.

So let’s see. You might be right. Just like the pro PF group might be right. But I’m liking my bet every day.

Not the way it works in my view. If the defense can establish that Fitz turned down a job comparable to his at NU, then they might have something. But he certainly doesn't have a duty to take some lower level job in an effort to rehabilitate his career.
Can you explain how the duty to litigation works? Maybe start with a standard jury instruction?

Another honest question… isn’t that’s basically what I’m saying, namely that the actual contract stuff is the meat of the case and the damages beyond that are “why not ask for it?”
But, if every he says is true, no knowledge, or didn’t happen at all, then the aftermath has value. How much depends on what you thought of him as a coach before the story broke. Another area of wide disagreement.

I recognize that you are a non-lawyer but the fact is that you understand the situation far better than our friend IGNORE2. I really have trouble understanding a lot of his babbling, and I have tried a whole bunch of high exposure civil cases. Frankly, I'm tired of responding to him, and remain of the opinion that all cases will settle before anyone is deposed or written discovery is exchanged. Could be wrong, but we'll see.
Love ya NC, but this screams get off my lawn. A lawyer of your ilk can read my posts and figure out what the other side contends. SCOTUS opinions are far more difficult to put together than my babblings.

DM me - I’ll give you my full name. You can run a jury verdict search on me and confirm my work. Was not popular but got the judgements. All about the prep (done with an eye to a trial not for information) and jury selection. The rest is putting in a good show.

We’re also assuming he’s been offered any jobs.

Again: if Schill had simply fired him for football negligence, then Fitz would probably be coaching somewhere and waiting for a massive check.

Schill, again, is terrible at his job.

Fitz will get paid more money to sit on his couch. Why would anyone as lazy as he’s been want to work when he could get paid more not to?

I lose more pride in my Nu degree everyday.
I thank Fitz for giving us our first bowl victory, some wonderful years, some really memorable moments, a great athletic center, and a new stadium. None of that happens without him.

I chastise Fitz for his stubbornness, his lack of innovation, his loyalty to the wrong people, some really terrible football at times, and especially for not running a clean locker room.

I hated the last year but it does look like the football team is now going in the right direction with fresh coaching and new ideas. I hope it turns out well.

As for the University, it has been stumble and bumble. Poor leadership. Poor decision making. Bad choices. Really some of those guys have to go.

I thank Fitz for giving us our first bowl victory, some wonderful years, some really memorable moments, a great athletic center, and a new stadium. None of that happens without him.

I chastise Fitz for his stubbornness, his lack of innovation, his loyalty to the wrong people, some really terrible football at times, and especially for not running a clean locker room.

I hated the last year but it does look like the football team is now going in the right direction with fresh coaching and new ideas. I hope it turns out well.

As for the University, it has been stumble and bumble. Poor leadership. Poor decision making. Bad choices. Really some of those guys have to go.
Well said, @Just Gary .

I’d give this post 5 stars if I could.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
His claims would relate to damages flowing from a breach of contract. The punitive is crap. So argument one is the value of his contract. Having not read the lawsuit, I would expect another count in defamation or intention interference of business relations relating to future earnings.

Those touting the $100MM payout bank on both. Punitive is going nowhere in light of the allegations at the time. So if PF is to get more than contract, has to show he was viable high dollar coach in the moment he was fired. Prior and subsequent offers are relevant.

As for breach of existing, has a duty to mitigate, including lessor position to a reasonable degree. These things collectively create interesting discovery and expert testimony possibilities.

And all this presumes no connection to the hazing.

1) Just read the complaint. It’s public and probably a very quick read for a lawyer like yourself: https://www.winston.com/a/web/jPJ3e...int-final-with-cover-sheet-signed-final-1.pdf

2) I think part of the “issue” is that Fitz had a very unique contract. Rather than flat dollar amount per year, he had escalators over time. Summary contract terms are Exhibit G (page 75 of the PDF). Basically Fitz’s salary would adjust in both 2024 and 2027 to keep him in the top 30% of B1G head football coaches (4/14 at the time of signing, would be 5/18 in today’s membership). Best I can tell, this is how that looks in 2024:

Ryan Day - $10.2MM
Lincoln Riley - ~$10MM
Franklin — $8.5MM
Fickell - $7.6MM
Fisch - $7.5MM

That means Fitz would have gotten $7.5MM/year starting in 2024 vs the “base value” of $6.3MM. Then there’s a level of uncertainty and projection about where salaries would be in 2027, which would presumably escalate it further from there.

The calculation seems to make even the contract value ripe for negotiation and litigation.

3) NU isn’t going to want to argue direct connection to the hazing, as it opens them up to liability in the players’ suits.

Reactions: No Chores
But, if every he says is true, no knowledge, or didn’t happen at all, then the aftermath has value. How much depends on what you thought of him as a coach before the story broke. Another area of wide disagreement.

Fitz would have no problem getting lots of expert witnesses or testimony about his coaching ability even in the last few years of his tenure. Plus a lot of already-public stories about how NU is one of the toughest jobs in the country, etc.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Love ya NC, but this screams get off my lawn. A lawyer of your ilk can read my posts and figure out what the other side contends. SCOTUS opinions are far more difficult to put together than my babblings.

DM me - I’ll give you my full name. You can run a jury verdict search on me and confirm my work. Was not popular but got the judgements. All about the prep (done with an eye to a trial not for information) and jury selection. The rest is putting in a good show.

You? Not well liked? I’m shocked, absolutely floored.

Well put, there was a mix of great and really bad. Your leadership statements are spot-on, and I think there is so much "rot" NU does not have the ability to address holistically Starts with the BOT (who I feel is truly accountable), president and AD. Perhaps they feel athletics is "just a thing" hence the complacency. I think we have Gragg and co for many more years which is frustrating.

Reactions: IGNORE2
1) Just read the complaint. It’s public and probably a very quick read for a lawyer like yourself: https://www.winston.com/a/web/jPJ3e...int-final-with-cover-sheet-signed-final-1.pdf

2) I think part of the “issue” is that Fitz had a very unique contract. Rather than flat dollar amount per year, he had escalators over time. Summary contract terms are Exhibit G (page 75 of the PDF). Basically Fitz’s salary would adjust in both 2024 and 2027 to keep him in the top 30% of B1G head football coaches (4/14 at the time of signing, would be 5/18 in today’s membership). Best I can tell, this is how that looks in 2024:

Ryan Day - $10.2MM
Lincoln Riley - ~$10MM
Franklin — $8.5MM
Fickell - $7.6MM
Fisch - $7.5MM

That means Fitz would have gotten $7.5MM/year starting in 2024 vs the “base value” of $6.3MM. Then there’s a level of uncertainty and projection about where salaries would be in 2027, which would presumably escalate it further from there.

The calculation seems to make even the contract value ripe for negotiation and litigation.

3) NU isn’t going to want to argue direct connection to the hazing, as it opens them up to liability in the players’ suits.

Anybody who has read the Fitzgerald claims and (more importantly) his contract, which has some exceptional protections, knows that he is in pretty good shape on the wrongful termination front. That clause about Northwestern being required to follow a specific protocol to address any alleged wrongdoing in the program seems almost ironclad. Northwestern did not follow the protocol and therefore breeched the contract. I'm not a lawyer, but I can read and have an NU engineering degree.

I also think, though this is less certain, that Fitzgerald suffered reputational damage because of the way NU handled the termination. That part is really just common sense. You can say the program was tanking, but if you simply swap in Braun at the DC for O'Neil, its a different story. And obviously Braun won with Fitzgerald's guys, so its pretty far-fetched in my opinion to think that NU wouldn't have had a good season last year with Fitz as head coach. A flawed-logic argument for the Fitz bashers.

Last edited:

Ryan Day - $10.2MM
Lincoln Riley - ~$10MM
Franklin — $8.5MM
Fickell - $7.6MM
Fisch - $7.5MM

Point 3 is the one I find most curious. NC says those player suits are worthless. If so, then NU rather lose those than to PF. Btw, I’m not agreeing that they are worthless, just making an observation.

I'm in the same place. I've always been grateful for Fitz. His firing was a train wreck - showing lack of awareness and competency on Schill/Gragg's part. The success we had last season was despite our president and AD, not because of them.

Still, as it stands today I would much rather have Braun in charge than Fitz. Fitz had lost the locker room in his last full season. He was trying to right the ship after his (unforgivable) hiring of JON, but we would still have the same OC today if Fitz were here. Plus, I was truly disappointed at his weasel-like, unaccountable response to the hazing scandal. Braun - and hopefully Lujan - give us a fresh perspective that we know the players buy into. And values-wise, seem like the right fit.

Lost the locker room? Now you’re just making shit up. And let’s not forget there is no Braun without Fitz. Fitz proved he was making the necessary adjustments in reshaping the staff with the hirings of Binns, Hicks and Foster. I have little doubt Bajakian would have been next. No reason not to believe we’d be looking at an incredible staff of Fitz at the helm with Braun and Lujan as amazing coordinators. Couple that with the recruiting successes of the last couple years of Fitz’s tenure and the program was poised to step up to the next level with the opening of the new stadium (despite the University obstacles regarding admissions and transfers).

Fitz would have no problem getting lots of expert witnesses or testimony about his coaching ability even in the last few years of his tenure. Plus a lot of already-public stories about how NU is one of the toughest jobs in the country, etc.
True. And NU would find no shortage of experts on the other side. That’s what happens. Boils down to how well you picked your jury and how good you are in front of them.

Point 3 is the one I find most curious. NC says those player suits are worthless. If so, then NU rather lose those than to PF. Btw, I’m not agreeing that they are worthless, just making an observation.

Why skip the other points, which are the actual salient ones?

Anybody who has read the Fitzgerald claims and (more importantly) his contract, which has some exceptional protections, knows that he is in pretty good shape on the wrongful termination front. That clause about Northwestern being required to follow a specific protocol to address any alleged wrongdoing in the program seems almost ironclad. Northwestern did not follow he protocol and therefore breeched the contract. I'm not a lawyer, but I can read and have an NU engineering degree.

I also think, though this is less certain, that Fitzgerald suffered reputational damage because of the way NU handled the termination. That part is really just common sense. You can say the program was tanking, but if you simply swap in Braun at the DC for O'Neil, its a different story. And obviously Braun won with Fitzgerald's guys, so its pretty far-fetched in my opinion to think that NU wouldn't have had a good season last year with Fitz as head coach. A flawed-logic argument for the Fitz bashers.
Let’s see how they do this year w PF’s Braun and mostly PF players. One can argue outlier if they flop this year making it like 4 out of six terrible seasons.

Why skip the other points, which are the actual salient ones?
Fine. I’m kinda flying to Tahiti right now but this is easy.

1. Ok, I’ll read it next layover.
2. Ok. Definitely area requiring some expert testimony or room for negotiation.

I
Correct, and Fitz certainly couldn't turn down the ND job if it were offered to him, without risking a substantial reduction in his claim for damages. He could, however, turn down a less prestigious coaching job, say in the MAC for example, at lesser compensation. As my old Contracts professor used to say, if you are wrongfully discharged from a leading lady role in a Broadway show, you don't have to accept an Off Broadway role as Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm in order to mitigate your damages.
f he was offered ND job at this point, he would still have at least a couple years of damages that he could claim. But at this point that is unlikely. More likely something like a MAC level job being offered but those tend to pay more in the $500 K range and that would be a substantial reduction so would not have to take it at damages would still be close to top

I think one could argue that in mitigating by rebuilding reputation that he should interview for lessor too. The degrees being subject to debate. It’s not comparable - it’s mitigating losses. Now and in the future.
You can argue it, but not sure you’d get traction given the case law (if I remember it correctly). That said, not a litigator and been a long time since I read that stuff.

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
Fine. I’m kinda flying to Tahiti right now but this is easy.

1. Ok, I’ll read it next layover.
2. Ok. Definitely area requiring some expert testimony or room for negotiation.
Ok read the complaint, not bothering with the attachments. Typical blowhard legal writing issuing a million words when ten will suffice.

Much of it is irrelevant or unnecessary for a legal complaint in Illinois. Much of it is debatable. But one thing that struck me was in a rare example of brevity in the complaint, the author addresses for cause moral turpitude in a couple of sentences.

Then, in making a claim for defamation per se, it would seem they imply that is the clause used, though wrongly.

Anyways, great one sided read leaving one to wonder how hazing could have ever occurred. Guess PF recruited a bunch of low moral guys that have done a great job casting their stories so similarly…. Thank goodness a punter and one of those coaches that saw nothing stepped up, out of the dozens cited in the complaint to have been led to the nfl thanks to PF….guess that lot is a thankless bunch too.

Oh, what did make be giggle was the PF motto along the lines of pursuing greatest coaching staff in the land. Wonder if Dan Webb ever watched NU football, knows who JON, among many others, is. I would impeach PF on that goofiness alone.

I suspect the answer is probably far shorter and yet just as legally sufficient. Bring on the deps.

You can argue it, but not sure you’d get traction given the case law (if I remember it correctly). That said, not a litigator and been a long time since I read that stuff.
Yeah - I’m not sure. This type of mitigation would not be among my experiences and I would have to start with the jury instructions and trial law handbook before diving deeper. Thing is, as defense, when I raise it - it’s too late. PF and Webb have to make that decision well before it ever becomes an issue for a judge to decide. So if your Webb, and the case law or instruction is ambiguous, this is a multi-million dollar bet. Hope your read on the law is firm.

Exactly. It would be foolish for Fitz to actively pursue other jobs right now, and I can't imagine that any other high profile job offers will be coming his way either.
Also, riddle me this, maybe I have a bad take on PF but before July 2023, PF struck me as a guy that would have laughed someone out of the room that tried to raise an Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress cause of actions, especially if from the football ranks. Anyway, I guess the tough guy PF I took him to be is really an emotional softy 🤷‍♂️

No shit.

Fitz and his team will argue that the offers aren’t coming because of the inappropriate process and firing conducted by NU/Schill. Then the judge will decide which side is more legitimate.

Regardless that only speaks to punitive damages rather than recovery of Fitz’s NU contract (not legalese, but best I can do as a non-lawyer).
Judge: “Mr. Webb, nothing that came out in this investigation is as damaging to your client’s reputation as the names Aidan Smith and Andrew Marty. I award no damages.”

Lost the locker room? Now you’re just making shit up. And let’s not forget there is no Braun without Fitz. Fitz proved he was making the necessary adjustments in reshaping the staff with the hirings of Binns, Hicks and Foster. I have little doubt Bajakian would have been next. No reason not to believe we’d be looking at an incredible staff of Fitz at the helm with Braun and Lujan as amazing coordinators. Couple that with the recruiting successes of the last couple years of Fitz’s tenure and the program was poised to step up to the next level with the opening of the new stadium (despite the University obstacles regarding admissions and transfers).
Fitz was so wrong about JON, and it was obvious the day he was signed.

The team that played out the string in ‘22 had the least give-a-shit of any of the multiple terrible teams I’d watched at NU, including the recent bad Fitz ones.

That this total lack of passion happened concurrently with hazing ramping up over the latter years of the Fitz regime is unsurprising.

He had made good moves. His program still doesn’t have a quarterback. Braun appears to have everything going for him that Fitz had a decade ago.

The team that played out the string in ‘22 had the least give-a-shit of any of the multiple terrible teams I’d watched at NU, including the recent bad Fitz ones.

That this total lack of passion happened concurrently with hazing ramping up over the latter years of the Fitz regime is unsurprising.

He had made good moves. His program still doesn’t have a quarterback. Braun appears to have everything going for him that Fitz had a decade ago.
Braun might be adopting another page from the PF philosophy of college football: screw O, D wins games. No need for a QB, OL or any of the crap. Chew up some time and let the D rest. They will score the points and stop the opponent.

Ok read the complaint, not bothering with the attachments. Typical blowhard legal writing issuing a million words when ten will suffice.

Much of it is irrelevant or unnecessary for a legal complaint in Illinois. Much of it is debatable. But one thing that struck me was in a rare example of brevity in the complaint, the author addresses for cause moral turpitude in a couple of sentences.

Then, in making a claim for defamation per se, it would seem they imply that is the clause used, though wrongly.

Anyways, great one sided read leaving one to wonder how hazing could have ever occurred. Guess PF recruited a bunch of low moral guys that have done a great job casting their stories so similarly…. Thank goodness a punter and one of those coaches that saw nothing stepped up, out of the dozens cited in the complaint to have been led to the nfl thanks to PF….guess that lot is a thankless bunch too.

Oh, what did make be giggle was the PF motto along the lines of pursuing greatest coaching staff in the land. Wonder if Dan Webb ever watched NU football, knows who JON, among many others, is. I would impeach PF on that goofiness alone.

I suspect the answer is probably far shorter and yet just as legally sufficient. Bring on the deps.

…the attachments are where the contract summary itself is. You know, the part that’s actually relevant.

Starting to think you don’t actually want to be informed, just want to continue ranting on and on without actually getting fact checked.

…the attachments are where the contract summary itself is. You know, the part that’s actually relevant.

Starting to think you don’t actually want to be informed, just want to continue ranting on and on without actually getting fact checked.
Exactly. His commentary and so-called legal analysis ceased to be relevant and/or interesting a long time ago. I've enjoyed Bob's company in the past, and hopefully, will continue to do so, but I have no further interest in engaging with him on this topic

In hindsight I think the hazing (maybe not even the hazing itself but also the divisiveness it may have caused) was a contributing factor the last few years. The COVID year was an exception, but there probably wasn’t much opportunity for hazing because of limited contact protocolls, and it was such a crazy time in the world. Maybe some players thought that would break the cycle of hazing and reset the culture but when it didn’t…

Disagree. Different level than standard case. These folks have agents. He does have to pursue, imho, comparable or better positions. Of course the risk comes when his agent is deposed.
Yes, his duty to mitigate his damages means he has to make reasonable efforts to secure other comparable employment. What is comparable employment would involve a lot of fact specific issues—- geographic location, standing/reputation of the school, conference, length of contract, monetary & non monetary term, etc. If NU could show no reasonable efforts to mitigate, his contract recovery could be limited. Fitz might try to argue damage to his reputation made mitigation impossible but if that is speculation & not based on the results of some mitigation efforts that argument very likely fails. But as gcg correctly noted, Fitz has smart & experienced counsel and they would certainly be counseling Fitz on his mitigation duties.

Yes, his duty to mitigate his damages means he has to make reasonable efforts to secure other comparable employment. What is comparable employment would involve a lot of fact specific issues—- geographic location, standing/reputation of the school, conference, length of contract, monetary & non monetary term, etc. If NU could show no reasonable efforts to mitigate, his contract recovery could be limited. Fitz might try to argue damage to his reputation made mitigation impossible but if that is speculation & not based on the results of some mitigation efforts that argument very likely fails. But as gcg correctly noted, Fitz has smart & experienced counsel and they would certainly be counseling Fitz on his mitigation duties.
Fitz has an agent who can testify to what positions he has pursuit and the feedback from various colleges and organization about hiring him. In fact in asking for an earlier trial date, his lawyer argued that he needs this settled so that he can be considered for openings in 2025 because the lawsuit has prevented him from being considered for 2024 openings. I don’t think it is hard for the agent to list places that would not consider Fitz for a job.

I have said this more than once, that I have never seen a coach/program go in the tank as what Fitz did with NU football from 2019-2022. It was a total collapse that would never happen under a true top tier HC. Fitz might have to settle at a MAC HC position at best, or another lesser conference. Any illusions regarding to his coaching ability have been downgraded.
Wasn’t Fitz always primarily a figurehead, even more so than the “typical” HC?

Certainly he was in the early days after being elevated prematurely only due to extraordinary circumstances (note that NU did not hire a Skip Holtz to mentor him through). It seems to me that his greatest achievements and greatest limitations were directly attributable to his coordinators. He struck gold with Hank and struck out with many others, something that was for more influential than his in-game coaching and recruiting efforts.

What I liked about him, warts and all, was that he bled purple (I think he did) and established a degree of stability that we will never see again.

Wasn’t Fitz always primarily a figurehead, even more so than the “typical” HC?

Certainly he was in the early days after being elevated prematurely only due to extraordinary circumstances (note that NU did not hire a Skip Holtz to mentor him through). It seems to me that his greatest achievements and greatest limitations were directly attributable to his coordinators. He struck gold with Hank and struck out with many others, something that was for more influential than his in-game coaching and recruiting efforts.

What I liked about him, warts and all, was that he bled purple (I think he did) and established a degree of stability that we will never see again.
May never see again. But the end was anything but stable.

Actually, not interested in reading a bunch of small print on my phone. But also, I’m not involved in the cases. I find them interesting like I find the trump and oj cases interesting. I don’t need to comb the pleadings to arrive at some opinions that are probably based on a little more than the normal poster.

If I was trying the case, you bet I would have read and notated all the pleadings along with a host of other material.

But for this moment - I’m pretty confident in all the babble I have spilled. So let’s see what happens next. Seems like some thought the player cases would survive initial motion practice. They did and more cases have been filed. Discovery will last a good 18-24 months. Leaks will come. We will have plenty more to debate.

Exactly. His commentary and so-called legal analysis ceased to be relevant and/or interesting a long time ago. I've enjoyed Bob's company in the past, and hopefully, will continue to do so, but I have no further interest in engaging with him on this topic
Fair enough. I suspect that I have tried cases on a smaller scale from start to finish while you have filled the F Lee Bailey role. Heck, wonder if you were P or D. How many jurors you questioned. It would be great to cross paths again just to hear your war stories and learn more about the nature of your practice.

I suspect you harbor no hard feelings. Which is good as I’d hate to be hit with a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Funny to recall how some responded to the filing of legal action around here. One would think that a big chunk of the board would respect the law’s ability to avenge slights… 😘

As gcg made me read the 400 page complaint, they claim the PF has been reduced to a hamburger flipper at McD. If I was the D lawyer, I would take full advantage of that verbose pleading to argue that somewhere between hamburger flipper and B1G head coach lies the truth and PFs refusal to pursue anything contributed to his damages. Coupled with his recent production the offset of last years success with this years results - would not be difficult to argue he had lost his mojo before getting fired.

I could see the argument the only thing he had was that contract. He had zero marketability as P5 HC and most likely destined to position coach in nfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT