ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz turning down interviews so far

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010

Keep in mind Schefter's sources are league sources, so he's getting his info from the NFL side of things (i.e. the teams pursuing Fitz).

Also to the best of my knowledge, Fitz hasn't been interviewed for another job since he started as HC here. Yes, his agent has received binding contractual offers and negotiated terms, but Fitz has never actually reached the stage of taking a presentation/interview personally.

He turned down Green Bay, Michigan, and others before meeting them in person. Also Fitz noted, he never spoke to Michigan personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and DaCat

Keep in mind Schefter's sources are league sources, so he's getting his info from the NFL side of things (i.e. the teams pursuing Fitz).

Also to the best of my knowledge, Fitz hasn't been interviewed for another job since he started as HC here. Yes, his agent has received binding contractual offers and negotiated terms, but Fitz has never actually reached the stage of taking a presentation/interview personally.

He turned down Green Bay, Michigan, and others before meeting them in person. Also Fitz noted, he never spoke to Michigan personally.

The closest he came was getting onto a plane to meet Michigan, but then decided that it was a waste of time.

Let's just thankfully accept that he's a Lifer. He ain't leaving. Even for the Bears.

Reactions: DaCat
If it was ever gonna happen, this would be the year. His stock is at an all-time high, we lose an amazing AD in Phillips, we lose an amazing DC in Hank and the transfer portal is wreaking havoc with our depth and perhaps changing the loyalty that Fitz really values.

If it was ever gonna happen, this would be the year. His stock is at an all-time high, we lose an amazing AD in Phillips, we lose an amazing DC in Hank and the transfer portal is wreaking havoc with our depth and perhaps changing the loyalty that Fitz really values.
Yep, that's probably why he's taking his time to figure it out, the program is experiencing a lot of flux right now; but the right job would have to open up as well...

Fitz is not interviewing. Surprise surprise. I would expect nothing different from him. Sir Yacht can stick that in his bong and smoke it.

Yep, that's probably why he's taking his time to figure it out, the program is experiencing a lot of flux right now; but the right job would have to open up as well...

But, he's not taking his time to figure it out. He's not pursuing the interviews, he's agreed to be the AFCA President, and he's telling kids who are transferring into the program that he's staying.

He's not going anywhere. He never was.

There are Whataburgers, Lotaburgers, Smashburgers, Zinburgers, Bison burgers, Shackburgers, Counterburgers, Umamiburgers, Wahlburgers, Schoopburgers, Back Yard Burgers, Crown Burgers, slaw burgers, Fergburgers, Klenger burgers, Ray's Hell burgers, as well as Hungry Jack burgers.

800px-Hungry_Jack%27s.svg.png

But as far as Fitz to the NFL, it's a NOTHING BURGER.

But, he's not taking his time to figure it out. He's not pursuing the interviews, he's agreed to be the AFCA President, and he's telling kids who are transferring into the program that he's staying.

He's not going anywhere. He never was.
This is like any other year. Fitz's agent does the work and then brings it to Fitz who turns it down.

Until his agent shuts down the process, it isn't over technically.

Yes, it's very possible that Fitz himself is not paying any attention to it unless his agent brings him something he'd want to pursue... which of course may not exist.

I really think he would consider the Bears job if ever offered and that is about it. Pat Ryan is a part owner of the team do not forget and he is the one who really would pull the strings on if they were to offer the job. If he wants Pat to stay at NU he can tell the owners dont mess with my coach, if he thinks Pat is needed by the Bears he could influence that way as well.

If he ever goes to the NFL and it doesnt work out he will be in demand for a great college job that may be open. So it is not a huge risk career wise other than leaving NU. It is a great job for him but is NU really a great job to others? We cannot answer that.

Other factors to consider is family (immediate and extended who all live in area). If he stays at NU he may have the opportunity to coach his son(s). I have heard his oldest has Division 1 type size and ability, can never discount that. Interesting to say the least.

You realize that having your agent talk to others about a job is the same as you doing so.

You realize that having your agent talk to others about a job is the same as you doing so.
To an extent sure. As far as somebody like Fitz goes, his agent is there to line up all the details in case he ends up wanting to take the job (i.e. what responsibilites would he have, who he reports to, and of course money/perks/etc.).

In the NFL, all those things vary from franchise to franchise. Less variation at the college level to be sure, but it wouldn't be a surprise at all if his agent sets up parameters for a contract with teams like the Lions or Jets or whoever, but it'd be up to Fitz if he shows any actual interest in taking any of those jobs.

Obviously, I don't think Fitz is going anywhere, and I'd expect his agent to shut down his search pretty soon given that Fitz doesn't seem to have interest in any of the positions open. If he did, we'd probably already know about it...

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT